Hello!

Trusty

Hi trusty! Glad your ready to rock just take your time . I go to the Nat's every year ,that's were you see some awesome models and the flying is outstanding ,also there are lots of trade stands were you can find things you wouldn't normally find i a model shop ,,so if you have never been get your self down there at the next one  you won't regret it .Any of the guys on here will tell you a bout the Nat's and if you got a tent or caravan you can stay for the week end .  regards TD

Advert

Hi TD,
Hey the Nat's does sound good, where is it held? is it at different locations every year????
RAF cosford is quite close to me, The LMA had a summer event there, but I was back in Scotland for a wedding so I missed it, Gutted ....as it looked great when reviewed in the magazine..... Perhaps next year...

trusty..

The Nats are great fun - even if the weather doesn't always cooperate!

There held at RAF Barkston Heath in Lincs - near Grantham. Basically there is every type of model flying you can think of - except the "no engine" lads; R/C scale, pylon racing, helis, aerobatic F3A, IMAC etc. Then there's control line; carrier landing, racing, pulse jets, combat. Then free flight.... a special event in itself on the Saturday evening, models going off everywhere - mayhem!

As if that isn't enough there is a good trade presence - take your credit card you're very unlikely to go home without a car full of new toys.

Then there's the "Bring and Buy" on Sunday morning where all the aeromodelling junk in the universe gets redistributed between followers! I'm positive I've seen the same WOT4 three times now!

There's bar every night and indoor flying in the hangar. NIght time flying after dark for those with lights on their models.

On top of that you always meet up with some mates you haven't seen since, oohh, ahhh let me see - err... I know, the last Nats!

Its simply the best way to spend the August Bank holiday. Get a tent, pitch up on Friday night and have a ball of a weekend.

BEB  

Hi Trusty, I built my Trainer (MFA Yamamoto) from an Oct to Dec.  Could not fly until March due to the weather.   I got lucky with the weather, and passed my A  in Nov of the same year.  This was down to nearly every w/e and one or 2 days a week as well.   I fly mostly sport models now, bi-planes and the odd scale.  Due to the buddy box system now, I think with dedication, weather and a good tutor, it could be done in one flying season I think.  Also if you use a simulator it will greatly speed up your learning curve.  FB3          

FB3,
Hi, hey that's really good going, were all your training flight's on the buddy box? how long was each flying lesson? I've not heard of the yamamoto, I will have to look it up? Did you build it from scratch?
how many flying hours do you think you have in now?, and do you recommend a sim?

Regards FB3

HI Trusty,

I started learning in a Sept - then flew right through the winter (boy it was cold). Eventually got my A in the following March. So for me six months, but don't view it as a race - take your time and enjoy learning.

Regarding how buddy leads are used it varies a bit club to club, but the basic system is something like this. Usually all your early flights will be on the buddy lead. Once you have mastered basically flying around the circuit and can do a reasonable take off and landing its time for your instructor to think about taking the lead away. He'll do this when he feels you're ready - he's looking for you doing at least a couple of flights where he hasn't had to do anything - you flew it from take off to landing. And he's looking to be convinced that, at least under ordinary flight conditions, you are safe. You will then continue under instruction, but off the lead, as you build experience. For these flights you wll have sole control but your instructor will stand by you and advise. Then one day he'll say "Ok mate I think you're ready for your test"!

BEB

Hi trusty, The Yam as it was called must be aound 25 year old.  Nearly all our generation learned on one.  Built from a kit and foam wings .Wonderfull old girl.   These days artf models will get you into the air and flying much much sooner.  You can put an Arising Star together in a week or so.  Then after you have learned to fly, there are hundreds of plans you can use if you like building.  Also there are many kits as well.  Cheers
ps ,no buddy boxes around when I started learning.

Hi BEB,
Thanks for the message, 6 months that's quick, I aiming form a year!!! just in case, The buddy lead sounds ideal!!. Do you need to have the same box as your instructor or does the buddy lead fit any controller?
How does the test work, does the examiner ask you to preform set flights and turns etc? Are there any books to read etc, (like the highway code for aircraft!!!)

Regards trusty...

Hi FB3,
Thanks for the reply, the yam sounds good, i don't like the idea of not having a buddy lead! how many times did you come down???
it might take me more than a week to build the star, the only aircraft i've ever built was an airfix model!!!!

Trusty

HI Trusty! regarding the buddy box ,you can use a compatible tranie buddied to you'rs  and the plugs can be diferant for instace say futabais a square plug and another one could be round so you can get leads with a square one end and a round the other also if you Buddy up to a square plug you get a lead with tow square plugs ,i got one of each you will find that it;s not BMFA rules to use a buddy box it is up to the club you join ,it's better if you do use it as you'r instructor can get you out of any problems that may arise .

Hi Trusty,

I think its best not to have timescales for learning - just take as it comes. Some folks learn faster than others - but it doesn't necessarily mean the quick learners end up being better flyers. Sometimes someone who might have had a bit more trouble learning actually overtakes the star pupils and turns out to be a better pilot in the long run. As I said before, don't be in a rush, enjoy the process of learning. Your aim for a year is very sensible. If you do it quicker, well that's fine. If it takes longer that's no problem either. One thing is for sure, the more 'stick time' you get the quicker you will learn. So you have to get down to the patch regularly and pester your instructors to take up - no one criticises a keen learner!

TD has answered the question on buddy leads fairly well - two types of connectors square and round. Its not entirely a make split though as while modern Futaba uses square, older Futaba used round! You really need to go to your club and see what the instructors fly - then will advise you what to get. A lot pf instructors even have a small collection of buddy leads - often donated by ex-pupils!

Yes, there is a book to read. The BMFA Handbook. It defines the test and what you have to do. You also need to be able to answer questions about the safety code as laid down in the Handbook. You get a free hard copy of the Handbook when you join BMFA - but you can download it as pdf from the BMFA website. Compulsary bedtime reading!

BEB

Hi trusty,

I think that learning to fly is one of the best parts of RC flying. I still have great memories of all the close calls, and a few broken bits ( thanks Graham)  It is challenging, but when it all comes together, its ABFAB
Take it easy, and learn in depth

ernie

• 1 month later...
Woo Hoo!!!,

Santa delivered an arising star!!!!...........

Box opened, it's in bits!!!!!!  arrrgh!!!

It says in the instructions to get some 5 and 30 minute epoxy??? is there a good online dealer or can anyone recommend an epoxy make!!!!

many thanks

Trusty!!!

Hi Trusty
been reading through this thread & have to say that this site is great for friendly advice. I learnt to fly on a Kamco Kadet which looks very similar to your Arising Star, my Dad taught me as a kid in the late 70's ...early 80's
I'm back flying after 20 odd years but this time it's gliders on the slope as i live right on the South Downs in East Sussex.
Good luck with you new plane, you'll have to let us know how you get on flying it.

Good evening trusty,the Arising star is a really great trainer,I learnt on one.They go together really easy,just follow the book and all will be good.
The only problem with that model is,IMOP the trike landing gear is pants,I think it is made from spaghetti , it bends sooooo easily,i converted mine to a tail dragger cos I was sick of it bending .