Hello!

Trusty

Hi everyone,
I'm new to model flying, never flown anything! I've been reading RCME for a couple of months and been on loads of web sites.
I've resisted temptation to purchase anything!........
I've contacted 4 clubs but not heard back from anyone, perhaps that's due to the holidays etc..

can anyone advise me on what to buy first? and what bits I would need to start out? I can't wait!! There's so much stuff out there it's difficult to know what i would need!.....

Thanks in anticipation,

Trusty.

Advert

Hi Trusty,

and welcome to this absolutely fantastic hobby. I'm sure one of the moderators will give you a proper introduction, but in the meantime, here are a few pointers

Do Do join a club. Nearly everyone is very friendly and helpful. Nothing beats looking at real models, and talking to real modellers. You never know, someone might even give you a wee try with their model
Also, you can check out the radio systems and trainer models that they are using, and so be able to buy, exchange bits etc.

Also, a club can fix you up with insurance, which is essential, and find someone to teach you to fly. You can try to teach yourself, but it is difficult to fly a radio controlled plane, and you will certainly break something

To answer your last question, You will need
1  a trainer aircraft, either almost ready to fly; or you build it yourself. about 5 foot span
2  a radio system, with a transmitter, a receiver, several (say 4) servo motors, and batteries to power the system
3  a powerplant, either electric, or internal combustion
4  various bits and pieces such as charger, some tools, maybe fuel
5  a space to work, it can be a kitchen table, or a real workshop

So Trusty, go for it, and if and when you have specific questions, ask them here, and you will certainly get loads of help

ernie

wellcome from me trusty---if you can try and visit a club site near you if you can...any club worth their salt will give you some good advice reguarding starting off....get as much info as poss before parting with any dosh...as above from ernie-fire away with any question's - no matter what the query...i started out 21 year's ago with radio model's...and am still learning today-so have fun along the way.....

ken anderson...ne 1.. 

Hi Ernie and Ken,

Thanks for the welcome and reply....
Yes I am going to get involved with a club, as i will need all the help i can get!!!!!
ernie thanks for the list, I can work out some rough prices ( and tell the wife!!).
I can't wait to get going, so this weekend i'm going to drop in at my local field as they fly on a sunday, I will let you know how I get on....!

Trusty

Hi Trusty and welcome aboard, as the guys said, ask away and we will try and help.
try to have look through some of the "using the forum" stuff too - it will help when you need to post pictures and stuff
If you search the forum for newbie stuff we have had quite a few threads all about choosing the right first model.

Hi there Trusty.

If you can make Shareshill, Cannock, Walsall MAC are based there, which is where I fly from.

If we do meet up, you are welcome to have a fly of one of my aircraft and you would be on a buddy box, so no problems should you be a bit wary.

Have you purchased an RC simulator yet?
It's well worth the investment (£20 - £150) to get you into the basics of model flying. 

Hi Danny,Jo and Tim,

Thanks for the welcome, and comments as I said earlier I can't wait to start!
Danny I went down to the field today, but there was nobody there! it was windy so I imagine flying would be difficult, also it's the school holidays, so I will pop back in a few weeks!... back to my reading online!

trusty  

Hi Trusty,
Welcome from me too.
I'm impressed with the resistance to go and buy something - it's a wise decision and will pay off.
As I said to Dan (another Newbie). The best advice has mostly been given but I'll add one more thing. Accept that you'll have a crash and that it's just part of having to learn. There's no-one on the forum (I suspect) that can ever claim to have never crashed a plane. For a first plane get something that will fly slowly and take a few knocks - an Easystar or something similar. It was only after i decided to go down that route that i started getting some serious stick time. My Easystar has a 3,700 mAh battery and will stay up for half an hour minimum - plenty of time to practice.
Most of all have fun!!

Hi Trusty, I have a Spectrum DX7 transmitter that I've used for everything from a tiny Blade MSR heli to a large 3d aerobat. I did have a little problem with it but it was fixed by Horizon Hobby in 24 hours! You can't fault that for service. You'll need a little bit of kit to go with it all such as a battery charger, one of those fantastic little Fusion Smart guard battery checkers and a set of tiny jewellers screwdrivers and hex drivers - makes a good Christmas list! The guys on the site will give you lots of great advice on everything from batteries and ESCs to glues. Learning is all part of the fun and nothing beats the first successful flights. T

Hi Trusty,

hope you enjoy this weekend - and maybe get your first flight.

You do know that once you've actually flown a model that's it - you'll be hooked for ever, no escape! Its like Josip says its not a hobby - its a way of life!

No one you know - except other RC flyers - will understand, they'll think you're bonkers.

But you wont care - you'll just want to get out and fly a model again

You'll start doing things you have never done before - like studying the weather forecast - particularly the windspeed. Suggesting outings to remote towns to your wife, because you know that there is a model shop there. Suddenly you'll find that you've become an expert on strange and wonderful things, a neigbour will call over and ask if you have any "glue" and you'll find yourself asking if he would like cyano-acrylate, poly-vinyl acrylate, aliphatic UHU-Por or just straight UHU?

Believe me my friend,...once you've flown a model aeroplane life will never be the same again.

BEB

David,

Hi, and thanks, hey shrewsbury isn't that for from me! it could be arranged!, what type of a/c is it? it looks huge in the photo?.........

as I mentioned to Allan it would be good just to get out and talk to other flyers and get advice etc...

Trusty.

Hi Trusty

I may be one of the people you tried to contact, but as you say, summer is a time for holidays.  Mid Cheshire MFC flies  near Sandbach, just a few minutes from J17.  PM me and I'll send you details. One or two of us meet up a couple of times a month in a pub in Sandbach to discuss all things aeronautical and put the world to rights.  We're due to meet this coming Tuesday. We'd be delighted to meet you and have a chat.

Regards

Phil 

Hi Trusty

I taught myself to fly and can offer a piece of advice dont do it! Join a club. I was building for years before I got an Easy star (good first model). I spent a long time moving from one two channel model to another. This forum helped me greatly but nothing is better than one to one tuition.

I joined a club here in Germany last summer and progressed from my electro UHU to a Kyosho P51 D (thanks Dusty) with an OS 46 in the nose in 12 months.

You will find no better source of advice and help than this forum but you will not progress  beyond a simple foam trainer without the help of a club. And dont forget insurance. I found out the hard way please don't.

JC

• 1 month later...