Don't just stand there, get one up!

Danny Fenton

We seem to get quite a few hornets around our way. Have had to remove a number from inside the house! Easy enough in daytime - they make for the windows and seem a bit slower to move than wasps.

Spit is looking great Martin. Nice result on the weight, too.

• 2 weeks later...

No excuses any more because the weather was perfect today although a bit of wind would have been appreciated.

Promised pics but forgot the camera so here they aren`t.

Started with some taxiing around when an u/c leg half collapsed. It seems that the after market servo arm slipped on the splines somehow. Fixed it, tried to force it to fail which it would not so bit the bullet. Yikes! Talk about a bucking bronco. The slightest touch of up had it standing on its tail so I throttled back to just above idle when it and myself settled down a bit. Did a couple of circuits trying to lose height and went for a landing. This was very fast due to lack of wind plus I did not wish to stall it. The same leg failed again but no damage.

Back to the hangar to sort out the servo arms. Realised that I had forgotten to add 40% expo to the elevator but that would not have made it so sensitive. The cg is spot on to the plan at 4.5" behind the LE, but it is obviously way out. Thinking about this I reckon that because I have added a wing centre section it needs to be much further forward. Got to scrounge some lead from someone.

Thanks DD. The centre section of the wing is only 10.5" so I would not really expect this to have made that much difference, especially with 16oz of fuel on board. Projecting the tapered LE to the centre only seems to give a 1/4" gap. I was surprised that the nose did not try to dip on take off which is the case with my old one and others I have flown so this also points to a rearward cg.

Perhaps someone out there can enlighten me a bit. I wonder what the cg percentage of the chord is on the full size?

Back to the field with it today and of course quite an audience. Found some correct servo horns which worked fine at home but, you guessed it, one leg would not go up properly and lock. Simple fix but not at the field maybe so I decided on another test flight without retracting the u/c.

I have added a lot more lead in the nose and moved the cg 1/2" forward, now 4" behind the LE. Very much better behaved in the air now. I did not try the flaps, just circled round a bit and made a very fast landing because there was zero wind. Interestingly the roll rate is much faster than my other one, despite the throws being the same.

Remembered to take the camera today so here are some pics which I shall also put on the new models thread.

spitfire 72 049.jpg

spitfire 72 050.jpg

spitfire 72 051.jpg

spitfire 72 052.jpg

spitfire 72 053.jpg

spitfire 72 054.jpg

spitfire 72 055.jpg

spitfire 72 056.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

I zoom the original around in the normal fashion but am getting used to this one bit by bit. Don`t want to take any chances because it is booked in to fly at WW.

I checked up on the full size cg and could not believe it. They state between 4ft and 4ft 8in aft of the LE and considering that the root chord is only 8ft 4in that is a very long way back. No wonder that the elevators are a bit sensitive on them.

Fitted a G-Sonic composite 18x8 prop to the 180 this time instead of my usual wooden ones and get a very slow idle with it. No need for full power even for a take off.

Nothing like so sophisticated as the warbird above, but I maidened my FunCub today. A bit zoomy on opening the throttle, so landed and put in a little downthrust and a bit ( a tiny bit ) of left which has made all the difference - the FC is a bit light so I think I will confine myself to low, slow and close in for now. Handles very sweetly, actually a bit like you would expect of a four function Junior 60 - though why anyone would want to fit ailerons to a J60 - - - -! Anyway, suffice it to say, I went home a very happy flier as I now have TWO planes for calm conditions: my Junior 60, and now my FunCub. The low & slow & close-in passes are perfection, as are low slow landing approaches and seeing how far you can extend the roll-out. Same deal with a touch and go only you just gently leave the ground again after running 10-20 feet across the patch.

• 1 month later...

More work on the u/c and thought that it was OK now so took it up again a couple of days ago, this time with as much extra church roof as I could squeeze into the nose. Wheels up no problem and it now handles much better although being very much lighter than my other one it is rather over powered, in fact the only time that I fully opened the throttle was for a loop. Alas one leg refused to come down so I had to belly it with no flaps. A trip to the local model shop got me two new servos, and after a long time setting them up I am now satisfied that all is fine. Why do these things wait for a field visit before failing? Looks a tad windy tomorrow but we shall see.