Don't just stand there, get one up!

Danny Fenton

Hi Hugh, thx.
In all probability I could rebuild it. The nose from the cockpit forward has gone completely. The outer port wing from the retracts out has also gone. The rear fuselage and the tail surfaces are virtually intact. So a new forward fus would have to be created and grafted onto the tail. A new port wing would have to be made and again grafted onto the spars at the retract rails. The motor has survived unscathed, the ESC is toast, as are the cells obviously. The propeller hub may have survived, so I would need new blades and spinner.
I would have to try and match the paint, however only one upper wing roundel would be required.
The underwing scoops, radiators etc also survived almost intact. As did both ailerons and all the flaps and surrounding area.
The retracts seem to be okay apart from bent piano wire joiners. The wheels however are shattered.
The Spits aerial and pilots rear view mirror were intact funnily enough.
So yes it COULD be rebuilt, which is why it went in the attic in a bag. But not now, hurts to look at the wreck.

I have all the parts to build a bigger Spit, the Brian Taylor 83" with a VICRC MkI cowl, Unitracts retracts, and a laser set of parts. I would prefer to build another DW-F but much better and with sound.

Cheers
Danny

Advert

Posted by Danny Fenton on 19/10/2011 22:55:50:
I would prefer to build another DW-F but much better and with sound.

Cheers
Danny

Wow! Have you seen those fuel driven sound systems you can get now? What are they called - oh yeah - engines!

Only pulling your leg! I reckon you could do with a smile!

BEB

Just a bit of an update: had a cooling off period, and done a bit of research. Also had a nice chat with Mr Nijhuis himself at Gaydon. If you are reading this nice to meet you Tony, and please don't be offended by my saying I never liked the cowl arrangement Sometimes I speak before thinking. As I said Ian thought it flew well, and all those still building theirs have a great flier to look forward to.

It would be kind of fun to have a bash at making a cowl. Never made one so it ticks the learning boxes. I have been sent a terrific set of early Spit cowl profiles from a fellow scale nut in the States (thx Chad) My plan is to cut sections of blue foam to the shape of the cross sections, laminate the foam and sand to the sections. Glass the whole lot and make a two part mould from this. If I say it quick it sounds easy
This new cowl will extend right back to the front of the armour plating, and encompass much of the damaged section of DW-F.

Anyway that's the plan, not sure when it will come about, but it does seem a shame to leave DW-F on such a flat note......

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 26/10/2011 13:57:45

Hi all,
Pics when it is a bit more finished.
Tried to make my own cheapo roll mask using bits of cable, masking tape and UHU POR to get a feathered edge. It worked well but was too labour intensive.
Messing about with my new Hobbyking bead blaster in an attempt to weather it (sandpaper is much more effective) I tried it on the paint colour joins. It gives a slight overspray blend effect but boy does it get rid of all the paint creepage. No need to touch in here and there. Well worth the small cost.

Martin

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

Been very quiet on this thread for a long time but pleased to report that at last AR 213 had an uneventful maiden today.

It was finished by last Christmas but the RCG 30 gave so many vibration and overheating problems that I gave up with it when the engine mount itself broke.

Someone suggested a Laser so I raided the piggy bank and got a 180 last Friday. What a beautifull motor. A bit heavier than the petrol which is useful, starts first flick, it is quiet, hides completely inside the cowl, very little oily mess and idles a little over zero rpm.

This is only the second model I have ever built which I can honestly say flew perfectly with no clicks of trim.

Despite flat calm conditions I did not even have to use the flaps as it landed like a pussy cat.

I said that I would publish pics. when it was done but having problems as usual with that. I have some moments after the landing so will try to get them on my album.

Danny, been trying to contact you but cannot find you on this website.

Martin.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, its second flight won the local club class 1 scale event, but today was a tale of woes. To cut it short, it caught fire after a backfire on starting - luckily put out with the model cleaner spray, then the lousy Traplet pressed alloy spinner flew off when the centre fixing screw went straight through it.

Question. Does anyone know where I can get a 3 3/4 inch turned alloy Spifire spinner which will fit a Laser 180? I have an M10x1.5 to M5 adaptor but could make a different one as necessary.

Any help would be appreciated.

Martin

hi Martin, I was hoping we might see the Spit at Greenacres, was looking forward to seeing it.

Hope the fire damage was limited.

as for the spinner I know Mick Reeves does a 1/6 Spit but it would be the later Mk. Could you use the backplate with a glassfibre spinner moulded from the traplet item?

congrats on the scale win thats great news.

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Danny,

I looked at the Mick Reeves one but it is 4" and I need 3 3/4". My backplate has survived but that is all.

The fire damage is limited to the g/f cowl paint so no problem.

I did not go to Greenacres because of the lousy weather, but I did not have the Laser at that time and the original petrol motor was unuseable.

Will wait until the Nats and see what I can find.

Cheers, Martin

Danny,

Nice picture of K5054 in your original post. I live only a few miles from Eastleigh airfield, from which the prototype was first flown. On a roundabout near the airfield there is a very large model of it, on a stand, amusingly largely paid for by the nearby Mercedes (German!) car dealer.

It was originally painted silver overall. The local 'experts (HoHo) complained that it should be sky blue. So it is now a totally wrong 'duck egg blue' overall. The funny thing is that it was silver on its first flights, and it was painted blue three weeks later, after several flights. The 'experts' who complained didn't seem to know that.

• 2 weeks later...

And breath! Now read all 67 pages!blush

Where to start, what a model, beautiful, from the lovely paint job to the lovely and innovative control system to the little tyre valve on the wheel! Simply brilliant, great job!

And then...broken heart Such a shame, a true heartbreak, not just for you but for everyone who has seen this thread.

I hope you repair her, or build that BT 83" Spit (when/if you do build that Spit, can you do a build log on this forum, that plane is under consideration for my future big Spit project and that would be very helpful). I've heard you are putting a sound system on, I am interested in those, I'd like to see how they work, how does it change tone for throttle etc. I've heard some at airshows, flying, they are impressive but a four stroke is better in my opinion, I think it sounds more pure and I like the fact it is a real IC engine, like a Merlin. Saito's sound great, but Laser's are the best (and they are BRITISH! Nearest you can get to a mini merlin in my opinion!) Also, have you seen these? If I go to Greenacres next year or the year after I am welcome to a sound system vs four stroke fly off!

But I personally would prefer fs' though, I have FSA (Four Stroke Addict) disorder.wink

Anyway, this thread got me onto this forum so thanks a lot. The build has been truly inspiring and although an IC guy, I have been very interested in the electric side of things with the ESC's and motors etc, I take interest in Leccy world, what flight times could you have got? Tony Nijhuis with his ASP 120 converted to petrol could get 30-45 minutes apparently!

I love Spits, find them prettier and more appealing than Hurricanes (I know you are a Hurri guy, I love the Hurricane, and I think it does not get as much praise as it deserves, my 7th favourite plane, list on my profile if you are interested) and your Spit was the finest Spit model I have seen.

Well done again, I hope that Spit can see some air time in the future. As for your Mustang, Hurricane, Apache... LINK Just joking of course!

But you must do a BT Spit build log on here, it would help my choice between that and the DB one enourmously, when I do that a few years down the road, but more importantly, the Banter! I would have loved to have been in the banter on this thread.

CS

Saito FA62A

(Side effect from FSA disorder! Sorry for the essay!)

hi CS and thanks for all the praise, I am glad you enjoyed the thread. it was fun, but with over 600 photos the admin took nearly as much work as the build!

There will be another Spitfire mkI it is the purest version in my eyes and it will be in the summer of 1940 colors. When that will be I cannot tell you as I have several models that must get finished. there is also a new joint project that may need some attention sooner rather than later. I am dead chuffed that the thread inspired you so, hopefully you will join in with the Apache when that one gets under way? You mention Lasers, funnily enough this weekend I was chatting to Neil Tidey, what a really nice chap, nothing was too much trouble for him, and he dove in to take a look at Pete Fullards Laser 150 which had gone deadstick, which doesn't often happen with Lasers. he said he felt really honored that 9 of the 10 F4C models were powered by his engines.sorry still buzzing a bit from chatting with some of the modellers that I never thought I would meet. Cheers Danny

Sounds like you had quite a trip, glad you did!

Yeah, I'll join in in the Apache build, although not one of my favourite planes (I do like it though!) it'll still be interesting, and I'd like to see some more building and scale techniques, and how twin electric power is set up.

The Mk 1 Spitty is my favourite as well, I like the Mk's up to 9 and then it tailed off from RJ Mitchell's design too much for me. The Mk 1's that flew in the Battle of Britain are beautiful, I like them in green and brown. DB do a nice MK 1 kit and a Hurricane kit both with hidden control systems, may have one of those one day if the BT one does not float my boat!

You MUST do that Spitty build log on this site, that Hurricane one sounds great!

Cheers

CS

Edited By ConcordeSpeedbird on 28/08/2012 08:35:00

• 4 months later...

Hi Danny, long time!!

Going way back to your retract install problem I wonder if the side plates were installed upside down?

I've had enormous problems with my BT Spitfire retracts and I've finally sussed (by checking them against the plan) that the sideplates are upside down. This places the 'ledges' nearer the leg, they should be offset to be nearer the top.

Wondering whether to send them back and have them corrected or work out a way round it.

All good fun!

Cheers

Gary