Don't just stand there, get one up!

Danny Fenton

Hi Tom and Will, I ended up having to attend a family function so didn't get my promised "Cave time" so that motor information is great Tom. What RPM did you record at that current? 1320 watts is still workable. depends on the RPM and final AUW.

Hi Will, The BT Spit is nice but very much a longer term project than the TN one. 8S would work better, the reason I don't want to go to 8 If I can avoid it is I want to go 2P. 6S2P is twelve cells x 65g (780g) and 8S2P 16 cells x 65g (1040g) 8S (28.8V) would just sneak in tolerance

My Hurricane at 14lbs, will cruise S&L on 400 watts, but it takes a bit more than that to take off and do aeros.

Cheers
Danny

"God's teeth!"

Edited By Danny Fenton on 03/10/2010 21:39:06

I know this is a Spitfire thread but thought you might like to see the first test of some Air up air down Unitracts retracts, in case you are considering a set. These are in my BT Hurricane. I am having to use the plastic bottle supplied by Tony as I am short a t-piece to join the twin tanks going in the fus. The test was started at 80 psi and only lost 10 psi. I will see how much has been lost by the end of the day, (If I can resist making the legs go up and down )

I am only used to the retracts that come with the YT models and these from Unitracts are infinitely better, solid and smooth.......

Cheers
Danny

No BoB quote as off topic

Hi Tim, there is an adjuster built into each retract unit. I haven't moved it.

There is absolutely no wobble in any direction when up or down, really very nicely made.

It was stated in another thread that you didn't get an air bottle, well I did with this, as well as all tubing, t-pieces etc etc.

PS still says 70Psi on the dial

Edited By Danny Fenton on 06/10/2010 11:28:42

Nice to see that wood Danny, it's not your fault it didn't arrive quickly.
 I've been refraining from posting so we don't use quotes up too soon  
Trouble is now, I already can't remember what's gone before so we can't be far off a duplicate. (I'm not too keen on checking the whole thread every time lol)

How's the wood selection anyway? 

"....was when we tried to land."  

Hi Chris the wood is possibly not as light a grade as I would choose. And the bulkheads are very thick birch and lite ply. So I think a few bits will be substituted for thinner stock. I am in two minds about replacing the wing ribs and some tail bulkheads with balsa ones. Not comfortable with lite ply wing ribs. Wasn't very nice trying to work with them on a Pupeteer that you may remember?

Anyway we will see what weight can be shaved off here and there.......

"We were up, sir, trying to knock out the enemy air mass"

Hi David, I change my mind on schemes daily lol  but at the moment I am drawn to the Spitfire MkI flown by PO Pegge, it flew in the BoB and Pegge survived the war. It flew out of Biggin Hill in 1940 with 610 Sqdn. It also has my innitials DWF

Not sure about the enlarged Roundel may have to use a little poetic license there

I heard some sad news this morning about an RAF pilot that flew in the war, he passed away on Sunday. He flew a Mossie. They are getting fewer and fewer. It may sound silly but flying the warbirds always make me think of how brave they all were.

Hi Guys, heres a brain teaser for you. The free plan is multi sided that came with the magazine. You have a left and right hand wing panel to construct but only one is on the plan. Often the method is to rub the plan with a light oil to make the plan slightly translucent. Not so good when the other side is full of the rest of the plan

I am happy enough to trace the outline of spar locations etc, and build off a very rough outline. What does the full size plan show? two panels??

Cheers
Danny

Hi Alan, good to have you along.
Managed to spend a chilly few hours in the garden and have some numbers. A bit dissapointing really but It just means I have to up my cell count as everybody had guessed already.

The weights at the bottom show the comparrison between the teo front runners. And also highlight that LiPos are not that much lighter, bearing in mind the safety and convenience (no hatch and charge in situ)
Now just need to see if Electric wingman will do two flat 8S packs for me

"Don't just look, search for the ba.........!"

Edited By Danny Fenton on 20/10/2010 17:57:25

Posted by Danny Fenton on 20/10/2010 18:28:29:
The 7S pack is 2P 14 cells, the 8S pack is 1P only 8 cells. The added capacity means the voltage holds up better.

I have just double checked the cell weights for A123 and the numbers are not as good as stated in my previous mail. I have amended the table.......

May have to buy LiPos