Don't just stand there, get one up!

Danny Fenton

Had to look that one up Mr Hargreaves......

While working........ er okay, maybe I wasn't at that specific moment..... I spotted this web site migh be a good source of  schemes?

"I'm not very interested in propaganda. If we're right, they'll give up. If we are wrong, they'll be in London in a week!."

My plan arrived this morning and I must confess I am slightly dissapointed. I was expecting the plan to be the full size, and it actually is the same as the free pull-out but just better quality paper. You still have to join sections a bit. The difference is it is 6 seperate sheets instead of 3 double sided sheets. If you know what  mean. I probably wouldn't have bothered getting the plan had I known. But it will obviously last longer

Still no sign of the wood  but not to worry, it is giving plenty of time for research. Besides now I have the plan I can redraw the front end to add the motor and battery box. The low kv motor hasn't arrived yet so perhaps I had better check the power output. maybe a session in the garage with motors and a 20 x 13 prop is called for tomorrow.

"God willing we will hold out minister. "

Cheers
Danny

My issue of the Autumn Special arrived in the post yesterday.
I have been poring over the plans trying not to drool too much on them.

I think I had better finishe the 62" spit and the Hurri that I started last year before I even think about starting this one.

So don't threaten or dictate to us until you're marching down Whitehall, and even then we won't listen!

Cheers,

Hugh

I am liking the look of this one, maybe next winters project and I might have a "spare" saito 125 then lol

One the subject of retracts are you aware that E-Flite are now making a 60-120 size electric retract for £130 ? I had a fiddle with these down the LMS recently and was very impressed. I just wish I could have bought a set a year ago, it would have saved me a lot of grief and a set will be going into my Beaufighter.

Good luck with the build

Hi Herri my package is from MyHobbystore. perhaps you got yours direct from Tony/SLEC perhaps?

I Have had a good look at the plan and there is an area I am not happy with. Its a minor point but being an old fashioned modeller I do not like this modern trend for blunt trailing edges. Looks wrong to me. Anyway reading Barry Dalwigs build thread of a Brian Taylor 83" Spit has shown me an interesting trick that I intend to try. It involves sheeting the rear wing skin in ProSkin and balsa laminate. This buts against the leading edge balsa sheeting and does two things. 1. it gives a ready to paint finish inside the flap area. and 2. it means the trailing edges can be really sharp.
I am telling you now cos you will be at the sheeting stage well before me  and may want to consider it, or waiting till I ruin mine trying it out

Cheers
Danny

"How many hours in Spits?"

Yes, I bought mine from SLEC at the Hop Farm show.
I also intend to change a few things. Have you got a link to this 83"build and I can have a look. It sounds good as I also was looking at the edges.
May see how you do it first
I also am thinking about altering the elevator and rudder to hide the horns as per BT.
Maybe also the alierons and flaps but not sure yet.

Cheers
Herri

Hi Mthemadhatter, those retracts look interesting, the one thing that never seems to be catered for is the retract angle. For example the spitfire requires a 96 degree unit ideally. If you use a 90 degree unit the wheel will either sit wrong on the ground or not fully retract. This is why the likes of Unitract are slightly more expensive. Each set they make/design is slightly different. I have asked Tony (Unitracts) to do a 96 degree set (same as Brian Taylor specifies). The Unitract mechanicals, with damped oleos is £110 you have to add a retract servo and set it up I grant you. Does the E-Flight unit allow you to alter the angle of retract?

hi Herri, sure the thread is here, you need to go to around page 10 to find it. I ended up engrossed by the build have got nothing done again

Yes hiding horns etc is a must if fairly easy. RDS for ailerons might be an idea?

" This should give them something to think about! "

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 02/10/2010 17:01:07

Hi Will, how is that monster He111 coming along haven't seen a post for a while?

I will grab some bits and have a play in the garage tomorrow. 6 cells A123 is only 21.6v to get the required 1500 - 1800 watts is roughly 75 - 80 Amps ignoring losses and prop slip. Clearly if I up the cell count I will reduce the current, and the resistive losses. 

I will publish the figures after tomorrows testing for anybody that is thinking of going this route.

Great to have you watching my wing, thought you were going to build one as a follow on to the 62"?

Cheers
Danny

" I'm a Polish pilot, I'm fighting on your side. "

hi all having seen this new spit its given me a kick start into carrying on my retlas spitfire
Ive got size envy because mine is a bit smaller ,70" wing the fuz is noy in primmer and ive now stripped the wings of which l was surprised to find that they are foam veneered jobs and are in really good condition considering  its age 

l will also try to work out the retracts as this came with wire fixt ones
its got a flat bottom part of the wing which will need some work the look authentic
Another thing ive found is this pick of tonys spit BM597   (pop quiz) does enyone know why its blue???????? ha ha

cheers........................................mark

Hi Mark and James, okay I give up! the blue one I can only assume was that colour for some tv work? Its a bit too blue to be a PR surely?

The Pink one I know about, a friend many years ago (late 70's early 80's) did a Mick Reeves 1/6 scale in those PR colours. It never really looked right. And the increased chin bulge for the increased oil capacity, just never looked right either.

The Spit wing really should be in three sections Mark, so you may not have as much to do as you suspect. the retract fitting could a be a challenge though

"So we're blind, now we've only got the Observer Corps!"

Cheers
Danny

hi all l will answer my question ........the reason this BM597  was painted blue,was that it was taking part in an air show in Malta and was painted blue to represent a spitfire that took off from the USS WASP during the defence of Malta during the war, the blue is in fact the same shade of blue as the deck of the carrier and the planes had to go to war like this as there was no time to repaint them

cheers .....................mark

ps
 if there are any other spitfire anoraks out there you might like to know this spit BM597 is in fact a Vc

Edited By Mark Wakeling on 02/10/2010 20:56:10

Danny, if it helps with battery choice, Hobbycity says that the max voltage of the 5065s is 29V.

the He-111 is still comming along slowly but i have quite a bit of work on at the moment and i am also waiting to get the right retracts but its still going. I was going to build a 72" TN spit after the He-111 but the BT 83" spit also looks very nice! im torn between the two.