Don't just stand there, get one up!

Danny Fenton

That will be the right thrust built in then won't it Danny?

One thing that is confusing me in your pictures (yes I know confusing me is really easy) is the photo showing the glued and sanded side.

On the plan just below that side is a  cutout showing an almost hexagonal former with different side parts glued to different hexagon faces. But you are saying the side will have to be bent around the formers??

"I gave him a couple of socks... !" 

Advert

Hey Tom, its a start matey, steal away. I did used to be a big fan of the studding method and in the right situation it works fine. The trouble with it is you are wasting a bit of nose area, that could be utilised for the batteries. If the model has no issues with C of G then great the threadall method is quick, light, and strong. It also allows infinite adjustment and also allows different length motors to be tried very easily. However if you need the weight as far forward as possible (still have never added nose weight to a model) then the box methos works well. It is a lot of extra work though

Hi Chris, the sides are curved from top to  bottom over the formers. And the sides are also curved towards the back as per normal. The massive 1" square triangle blocks have also to be curved to glue to the sides. Tony gets around this by notching them. This all means a fuselage can be knocked together very quickly.

"For those less educated I'll translate, our chum can't believe the Sudan has fallen....."

Thanks, makes sense now.

Once its all glued together there's going to to be lots of balsa shavings
Then maybe time to break out the  belt sander  I do love a good whittle / carve.
Or does that make me a bit of a butcher? 

Yes lots of shavings, shame Roisin doesn't have a hamster or guinea pig

I do know what you mean as far as carving big lumps of wood, I find it very therapeutic to use the razor plane, and shavings are easier to clear up than the dreaded balsa dust

This shot shows the lite ply doubler that is not shown on Tony's instructions. I had to tweek mine slightly to ensure the bulkhead  F1 alignment was correct and to ensure the gap around F2 was tight. I have to remove a good bit of F2 to clear the Battery box.

The RHS is done as far as I can go. I used a razor saw to cut the notches in the 1" triangle stock, cutting about half way. I made more frequent cuts than Tony did, but my saw was making much narrower cuts. Anyway it worked better than I expected and the slots closed up nicely when the wood was curved. Thin Cyano was wicked in to make it all a bit more solid.

The LHS was placed together to see if there was going to be a repeat of the RHS. It all fitted really well. No warps and it all glued together really easily. Once again I used Titebond for its gap filling properties.

I am not looking forward to bending the wood along these glue joints. Definitely need some amonia or as Tony suggests water. 

Tally ho!

"Get that Bowzer out of here, we'll go with what we've got!"

This shot shows the lite ply doubler that is not shown on Tony's instructions.

It looks like I made a mistake here and glued the FD1 up against WS1 and didnt leave room for F2.
I'll have to modify F2 and make sure the joint at F1 is strong enough. B*****!
Herri

LOL I had to chuckle at that Herri sorry.... I think that area is somewhat over-engineered so you will be fine with a nice fillet of epoxy. At least you didn't add 1/4 of an inch of balsa to one of your fus sides then have to cut it back of again  And to finish my day off, I was just about to glue the wing seat doubler to the LHS fus that I have joined....... very, very, nearly had two right hand fus halves..... hands up those that have done that

Now the next quote always brings a bit of a tear to my eye when watching THE film. If you know my favorite plane then you will know why.......

"You know what to do with the lame ducks........."

Yes, pretty much the same as you

Turnigy SK5065-270
Sentilon HV ESC
8s1p 3700mAh LiPo
7.5A UBEC

Total weight 1363g or 3lb!

Will run it at 1800W @ 60A hopefully get 6 Min flights with some in reserve for landing, will probably try 5000mAh cells later on to get 8 Min flights, depending how the CoG works out.

Need a prop and some servos next, but will wait untill I've built some more, I have 3 gliders that need repairing at the moment and another 1/4 built, and then there are the jets

Edited By Tom Foreman on 25/10/2010 22:54:17

Hi Tom, indeed very similar. I have opted for the LiPo route, though the A123 would fit, but the thought of wiring 4 packs together puts me off, I am lazy.  I have ordered a pair of 2S 5000 lipo packs to go with two 5S 5000 packs I have. That would give me a 7S 5000 on the slightly higher 380 KV motor, and another set to fly while I charge the first. There is room to go the 8S route but then I would need an High Voltage esc and I have a cheap 90A, 7S max esc doing nothing

"I must therefore request that not one more fighter be sent across the channel"

Posted by Danny Fenton on 25/10/2010 18:01:20:
LOL I had to chuckle at that Herri sorry.... I think that area is somewhat over-engineered so you will be fine with a nice fillet of epoxy. At least you didn't add 1/4 of an inch of balsa to one of your fus sides then have to cut it back of again  And to finish my day off, I was just about to glue the wing seat doubler to the LHS fus that I have joined....... very, very, nearly had two right hand fus halves..... hands up those that have done that

Now the next quote always brings a bit of a tear to my eye when watching THE film. If you know my favorite plane then you will know why.......

"You know what to do with the lame ducks........."
" Flood the cowling, plenty of it...."

Hi Danny - nice thread mate, it looks an interesting build

I don't know, cant connect 4 batteries together. You plug one red into one black... that's two of em in series....  repeat - that's the other two..  (only joking) I bet you try it on A123's at some point.

"Corporal, refuel them immediately!"    
(Now that you can do if you have a second battery set )

Hi Leccy, you got the next line well done that man. The following thirty seconds show probably the best low level flying I have ever seen, how that 109 pilot misses hitting the fence I will never know, absolutely superb. If you cant remember, its about 5 minutes in, go on get the film out, you know you want to.... what not got a copy.... shame on you

However seeing all the beloved Hurricanes going up is not so nice. (good job they are only mockups)

What are the chances of as many Spits up at next years RCM&E bash as they had at Duxford this year......(clue, I think it was 26) So don't just sit there, get one up!

"Defeat in France will involve the final, complete and irremedial defeat of this country."

Tally Ho!!!

Posted by Danny Fenton on 25/10/2010 23:30:00:
Hi Leccy, you got the next line well done that man. The following thirty seconds show probably the best low level flying I have ever seen, how that 109 pilot misses hitting the fence I will never know, absolutely superb. If you cant remember, its about 5 minutes in, go on get the film out, you know you want to.... what not got a copy.... shame on you

However seeing all the beloved Hurricanes going up is not so nice. (good job they are only mockups)

What are the chances of as many Spits up at next years RCM&E bash as they had at Duxford this year......(clue, I think it was 26) So don't just sit there, get one up!

"Defeat in France will involve the final, complete and irremedial defeat of this country."

Tally Ho!!!

It'sa bit of a family joke mate - my boy Youngleccy had the BoB video on constant play from when he was about 3 years old until he was at High School, so I reckon we've seen it several hundred times. The three of us score points for getting a BoB line into the conversation. Mrs L collected the best point in refusing the chance of a trip to the club - "I've seen it" she said" A nasty little shack full of dead flies" which put us in our place. It also means keeping a constant look out for any pub called The Red Lion :D

I recommend the excellent pair of books on the making of the film by Robert J.Rudhall.

I'm not all that certain that the lowest Bf109 did actually miss that fence either .

26 Spitfires would be something to see at next year's bash. What about fifty?

"You're not getting fifty. You're not even getting ten"

Hi Tom, Leccy and Chris, as well as anybody else joining in. Any other building one of these and just keeping quiet??

Not had much time today but got a little more done. The LHS is now finished to the same point that the RHS is. So its time to look at joining the two sides with some formers.

Some thought also needs to be kept in mind about servo trays/rails and snake/pushrod runs.

I know Herri is probably building a super neat cockpit and will fit that before he joins the sides. I think I will keep my cockpit pretty basic on this one.

Excuse the glue staining, I used thin CA for the triangular sections and I fitted a fresh capillary tube it was sort of uncontrollable after that lol. I fitted a different brand tube now and order has been restored  
"The battle of France is over, the battle of Britain is about to begin."

More progress....

I made two templates to help set the front bulkhead F1 angle, and to set F4. F2 and F3 are vertical, so an engineers square can sort them out.

When dry fitted F2 I found that the triangle stock was inboard too far, not much guidance on the plan really  I had to releive it slightly to allow the fus sides to remain parallel.

F1 first to get some epoxy.... Then F2 with lots of engineers squares to keep everything true (Not shown sorry )

Then it was F3's turn to meet Mr Z-Poxy  (Again not shown, but the former was surrounded by engineers squares to keep it true while it set)

Then it was time to do F4 because the fuselage has already started to taper in at this point the bulkhead is not at 90 degrees. A scrap balsa template was made using the plan view.

And there you have it, the fus sides are joined. At the front at least.
I then couldn't resist trying the battery box/Motor bulkhead for fit and checked the allignment.

I have made an error somewhere the battery box is 0.25 mm out

"Their Embassy in London gives you two weeks.......... So what's stopping you?"

Tally Ho!

Hi Herri, once I get on a roll LOLOL

Built a box within the battery box to do two things, one- stiffen the mount even more, and two- protect the end of the motor shaft. We don't want it spearing the cells in an abrubt conflict between the airframe and the ground do we?

This should have been before the other pic lol

I also closed in the other end of the battery box. Don't want the cells flying into the cockpit, that would ruin PO Pegge's day for sure.

Fitted some servo rails too

Tally Ho!

Edited By Danny Fenton on 26/10/2010 19:38:49

Snakes and controls.... what are you guys doing as far as making the waggly bits move at the back end? I am a closed loop person myself but this model is not an out and out scale jobbie so am not too worried about the horns showing. I am probably going to use a slec heavyweight snake, for the elevator, and a lighter weight job for the rudder. I really do miss a steerable tailwheel on my Sea Fury, so would like one for this but the geometry is not good to make it steerable. Again what are you guys doing with yours?

"We will fight them on the beaches...."