New Reflex 3D sim

IanN

I''m sure someone will get their hands on this soon

Would be good to hear what its like. Is it really as good as the screenshots suggest?

How comfortable is it to use for extended periods - any eyestrain or other effects, or does it feel completely natural?

Advert

each to their own but at that price id rather buy another model,

- I suspect a lot of wallet concious beginners will spend 20 quid on a basic sim to get the basics then when flying for real,  get the model up high and practice all the aerobatics stuff etc up there. once you have the basics and can fly with some safety then the bast practice for flying is err.. flying

Its nice to have a 3d sim and im sure in time the prices will fall and you wont get anything other than a 3d sims for sale, but for now the price is way too high for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by twinstar on 12/10/2010 10:57:27:
each to their own but at that price id rather buy another model,

- I suspect a lot of wallet concious beginners will spend 20 quid on a basic sim to get the basics then when flying for real,  get the model up high and practice all the aerobatics stuff etc up there. once you have the basics and can fly with some safety then the bast practice for flying is err.. flying

Its nice to have a 3d sim and im sure in time the prices will fall and you wont get anything other than a 3d sims for sale, but for now the price is way too high for me.

yes, the best practice for flying is flying, but the best place to try something new is on the sim. i couldn't have learnt half what i fly without my phoenix sim.

re the 3D sim, hmmm, would be interesting to try one, but is the really any need for one? i ask myself what phoenix doesn't do that i'd like it to and always come up with the same answer. nothing.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 12/10/2010 11:12:31:
Has anyone bought a 3D telly? Are they worth it?

No, and no.

3D TV is not 3D, the screen is still flat.

Over 30 years ago, they were talking of the future of TV, saying that HDTV was the next step, and after that we would have laser holographic projectors that would project a true 3D image, that you could walk round and see from different angles, they would also have "smell" so that if you were in Steers, you could smell the food, if you were in a farm, you could smell the farm.

I will wait for that

I bought HD-DVD, and that is great, won't buy blueray, don't like sony's ideas (ie if you record your own voice on a minidisc "walkman" they own the copyright)  Sony'y policies have resulted in the failure of some of the best formats (Betamax was better than VHS) like digital audio tapes, betamax, mini-disc, sacd.

Would also point out that the sound plays a very big part in the overall experience, and a good 7.1 or 5.1 system, with a healthy LFE speaker does as much as a bigger screen.

About 6 years ago, instead of buying a bigger TV, we bought a widescreen projector. Updated it to a HD version a couple of years ago, and to me, that gives far more enjoyment than a 3D TV would. 

Also find that a 6'6" wide screen gives a very lifelike feel to model flying simulators

• 2 months later...
With a background in visual psychology, I'd point out that stereo vision is only one component of depth perception, and at distances over a few metres it's far from the most important one. Over about 6 metres, the amount your eyes need to adjust their angle of convergence is so small that your brain is unable to detect it.

We can judge depth at much greater distances, of course. For example if you look at some mountains in the distance whilst driving, they appear relatively stationary yet the trees at the roadside flash by. Conversely, stars beyond the mountains may appear to move more slowly than them. Stereo vision doesn't come into it at all. There are about half a dozen such cues by which we can infer depth, and I'd wager that for most model flying they're far more important. Hovering helicopters or 3d aircraft may well constitute an exception.

My real problem with simulators is a lack of situational awareness. For example, if I practice autorotations I sometimes need to start my flare well before the ground is on the screen. But because I can't see it, I flare too late and crash.In real life I know that my head is pointing up, so the helicopter must still be high, and of course I still have the ground in my peripheral vision. There are head trackers that should help deal with problems such as these - flight simmers swear by them, but I've never used them myself.

So, I'd certainly give this a go - and for helicopters (my main interest) it may well be extremely useful. However, it seems to me that it solves the wrong problem.

• 3 weeks later...
For whats it's worth I went round to a friends house who has a 3D TV

At first it has a bit of a WOW factor, but that soon wares off. After half an hour wearing the glasses was a pain. Personally I think 3D has a long way to go before it is universally accepted.

JC

JayCee
On the "Clip" bit of BBC News 24 yesterday ,they previewed 3D without glasses !(Sony) The screen somehow looks at your eyes and alters itself accordingly .Beyond me ,but I do know that at the rate the techy people advance, glasses will be a thing of the past quite soon.It's all to do with "Must-Haves" (again)
Grumpier than ever Myron