Anyone tell me the correct connections for a "Y" lead

Andy Freeman

Posted by Vecchio Austriaco on 11/10/2010 16:08:04:
By the way - I suppose it is clear - the servos will run in the same direction. If this gives you trouble and you need to reverse one of them look at this thread.
VA
 But of course if you are using the Y lead for ailerons, one servo will be mounted as a mirror image of the other, so you WANT them to go in the same direction because the mirroring means that the actual push-pull directions will be opposite.  (Did that make any sense?)

Plummet

Hi Plummet,
On the aileron I normally mix by using 2 channels of the radio. This gives you also the possibility to use differential or a flap mix.

But think of a split elevator, if the servos are in the middle of the plane and you have long snakes or pushrods you can solve it mechanically, if the servos are close to the elevator you cannot. One servo needs to run reverse. You can buy an expensive Y cable which has electronics inside doing the reversing for you or you can use a standard Y cable and reverse the servo as described. If you have a computer radio with enough mixers and channels you can also use two channels. Owning some spectrum stuff I can explain it for a DX7 if somebody is interested. The DX6 cannot do it if you are also mixing the ailerons.
Cheers VA

Hi Guy's

On another thread I posed the question regarding the wiring/setup of the flaps on the Multiplex FunCub. One suggestion was in fact the reversing of one servo by changing the wiring as described by Vecchio. BUT, another suggestion was - use a reverse 'Y' lead.
So my question is - what is a reverse 'Y' lead, and how would it be wired up to operate the FunCub flaps.
I do have a computer radio - Futaba FF9 -  which I have converted to 2.4Ghz using the Speccy plug in module and the AR500 Rx.

John.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I do want it to potentially run 2 aileron servos. Common sense seems to have deserted me when initially thinking about this. I forgot that the servos would be placed in mirror image and that would of course reverse the outputs. Silly me.

Ken, yes I am too tight to buy one! but in my defence i have already cut the connectors off to feed the wires through the hole i had to cut in the wingribs..

Well the reason I suggested to buy instead of make was for reliability!   It is very difficult to solder these connectors etc and easy to make a weak joint ( mechanically weak or electrically poor ) if you are not experienced.