Pick a Plane 2011 - chat and FW-190 build

If a delta was to be selected, could we not have more of a change.
For a complete change the Blobm und Voss 141
Something really different.
If we cannot do completely different, something that is different which sells as a model around the world not just the UK market..
I cannot say I have the same awe of the Vulcan as many, as i use to see them almost daily, flying out of Woodford, with I assume I think a Blue Steel stand of bomb mock up. Or just the routine testing.

Advert

I'd build a B&V just for the heck of it. It would be another War bird. 1/8th scale would be around 85" span.
With a big electric motor and a battery in the cockpit it would be neat. Would there be a lateral balance problem since the CG would likely be off set to one side? I'd build it just to be different.
You won't see many of those around Toronto..

Papa.

Im with Erfolg. I find the Vulcan a little uninspirational. personally ,to me it looks like it was drawn off my tech set square. ..Im sure it means more to people in the UK than to anywhere else.
Not many american machines been mentioned here. are they not as popular, or is this purely because this is a european website.
Alula

Tony, thank you for the link I thought they had gone out of business.
Alula if you had an opportunity to be at an air show where the Vulcan performed and saw and heard one up close it would have made a lasting impression. There was something surreal about a wing that size staying in the air at such a slow speed.
I have been a fan ever since I saw and heard my first at the air show in Toronto.
Papa.

I have no problems with the Vulcan, other than seeing it most weeks, trundling around the sky, it was ever present.

The other issue is of the "V" bombers it is done by far the most.

The Victor is another story though.

There are a number of awe inspiring images in my mind, a B52 flying low level up the Duddon estuary, a Phantom passing low over Burnmoor/Scafell, a Hawk rolling inverted passing over Catbells into Bassenthwaite in Cumbria, all unforgetable.

Even the RAF Tucanos doing low level navigation training up to Workington is impressive.

However a Vulcan doing a practice bomb run during the Cold War, at medium level over Liverpool or Manchester does not rank. Seemed slow then.

Edited By Erfolg on 20/01/2011 20:07:43

Vulcans : a four Vulcan ' scramble ' was unforgettable. 16 Olympus engines at full
powerall on the runway, all rolling at the same time, and after lift off, each climbed
and banked at a different angle to avoid the slipsteam of the ones in front. No one who
ever witnessed thatwas un-impressed!
But it was built as a high level bomber, not for low level dash, and aerobatics.
B & V 141.....Toougly ? An aeronautical freak ? Personally, one of the few aircraft
that I justcan'tfind attractive, but good luck if you can get support !

Still sticking with my comments.
If I saw a vulcan in flight then yes ,maybe it would rank highly with me. How many people voted this year because theyve heard the aircraft. Not really the same as a model. to me the vulcan as a model would look and probably fly like a parkzone stryker. .
B&V 141 ,an aeronautical freak? sometimes thats where the beauty lies , and the fun begins.
Simpicity isnt always the key ,Its just the easy way out.

Posted by Clive Kerr on 21/01/2011 00:58:58:

Righto alula, you enjoy the ugly and difficult, I always prefer the pretty but easy
myself .

The coments I made earlier are open to whoever wishes to read them
I used your line as a general reference

We all know what clive likes . flying , and judging by his pics earlier , ARFs
Nothing wrong with simple clive  

Edited By alula on 21/01/2011 02:21:40

No alula . I think hes refering to another topic in his comments and they dont have wings. . not really plane oriented .
Cafe for that clive... and very photogenic.
The vulcan has it all that hasnt really been done before....
Ducted fan, not mass produced as an arf , Has a good following , Could be commercially viable, but will tony want to double up with it this year.
Im still holding out for a rapide...

It has been said that the Vulcan has not been kitted. I think it has. I am sure that Complete-a-Pac (if that was the correct name) part kitted the model in the 70's.
A change which will not unfortunately be done is is French aircraft such as Arsenal or D520, post war there were aircraft such as the Nord Griffon, Leduc.
In the light aircraft Jodel, Robin, Tempete, Cap etc.
Prewar some of the Caudron racing aircraft etc.
French aircraft in general are often ignored in the UK by RC modelers, a little different with the FF modellers, so I guess do not stand a chance..

No problems with WW1 aircraft either. That is other than another Camel, Pup, Be2, all have been modelled to many times and all currently available.

I was thinking of why military aircraft are generally more attractive to modellers than many civilian aircraft. I came to the conclusion, it has nothing to with warmongering. It has a lot to do with two issues.

One is that military aircraft, generally have a very demanding operational specification. There are needs such as a high top speed, rates of climb requirements, range requirements, agility, to be operable from often compromised airfields, carry a wide range of munitions from camera to bombs, and tobe maintainable under duress.

The second attraction, I have touched on previously, that is their part in history, in operation's and pushing the design envelope (another buzz phrase).

Whereas civilian aircraft specification is in general terms less demanding. Most designs being evolutionary, seldom having the push of war. Civil aircraft specifications are more about the operational cost per mile, range, airport facility requirements and constraints. In my opinion that is to a large extent, that by and large, all aircraft of similar duty, in any given era, look very similar. For the designers the challenges were very real, although the latitude to be radical is limited. Other than for "train spotters" all the Airbuses, Boeing's et al, all look the same, other than perhaps size. The most radical occurrence in recent years has been the extra row of windows in the latest Airbus.

Edited By Erfolg on 21/01/2011 10:52:25

I'm told that Tony has said that he will be taking a look and having a think in a couple of weeks time.
Erfolg, I think there is a tird reason for the popularity of military types - there is a large pool of single engined prototypes which were more practical to model. The advent of electric powered multis has changed that to some degree
BEB

I do agree with the view that electric power does open the door to multis, particular twins, as a practical everyday affordable model.
If a twin were chosen, I particularly like some of the WW2 German aircraft. Why? Many have bodies which are not far from slab sided and some practical wing plan forms. Aircraft such as the He "Uhu", Ju 88, Me 110.
Although i did not make the point, i think aircraft built for or during a war, see relatively radical development, the rule book is almost thrown away. Where rules remain constant you get the F1 scenario, swift convergence on the optimum general solution, where barely noticeable incremental change (although it should not be derided) is the norm, where designers endeavour to squeeze a little bit more from apparently superficially identical designs.

Posted by Erfolg on 21/01/2011 10:51:45:
No problems with WW1 aircraft either. That is other than another Camel, Pup, Be2, all have been modelled to many times and all currently available.
Certainly, if you look at Peter Rakes output, there is pretty much nothing he will not draw up so long as someone is prepared to build the prototype.
About the only thing he won't do is a Sopwit Snipe (But David Boddington did a perfectly flyable one of those and there is a kit available based on his design).
Cheers,
Hugh