Pick a Plane 2011 - chat and FW-190 build

Advert

just to let you guys know,
there has been no fresh votes for a couple of days by the look of it,I think Tonys doing
a count in about 3 or 4 days time,has the FW190 Got it in the bag,or will the DH Dragon
Rapide make a late dash for it?.........Its tense,but exciting stuff! Whatever the winner,it
will be a worthy one,good luck to all the front runners i cant wait.

" RCM&E do have a size restriction on free plans and these have to be A1 in size so they fold into four. In general a 50 to 60" plan will just about go on to 4 sides of A1 and is just about manageable when it come to building from them. Last years 72" Spitfire tipped the balance and ended up over 6 sheets. With all these sheets, errors will occur when joining the sheets together and it all becomes a bit unwieldy. So the 60" span model is the ideal size."

From page 13, 60' is obviously ideal but larger is possible and I think Tony states on the you-tube vid of the Spit that larger models are more stable in flight and are now more popular because of this and the larger 4 strokes are more common as well as being more affordable, it seems 70"/72" models are becoming the norm now, I must say I prefer them a little larger as my eyes are not young anymore

If you are looking for a challenge you could consider building a model of the Bugatti 100P
This was a racing airplane built in the 1930s. I believe the only plane built is now in the EAA museum at Oshlosh.
Apparently some Americans are in the process of building a replica.
Here are a couple of links. Link 1 shows an Austalian model of the Bugatti 100P and Link 2 is to a website that gives information on the plane.

For some of us, the 50-60" span is a good size. Particularly if I want to fly the model on a every day basis (every week, being honest).

As I have written previously I do not want to invest years of my live, nor my lives savings into a model, which I then fear flying.

I have noted that week after week Ripmax Spitfires turn up at our patch, when it is sunny. I suspect for similar reasons.

My bias may be due to the club I am a member of is all electric. Although electric fliers are now a sizable group in the UK.

For me a good decision, has been made, practical at many levels.

Whilst the comments in the foregoing statements are true enough, what was the point
of the Page 13 note from Tony Nijhuis if everyone is going to ignore the
recommendations in it ?

On Page 1 of ' Pick a plane ' it states that the free plan will be produced for ' our Autumn
Special Issue ', which implies that there will be a complete plan in one issue, not two,
or three...

Provided the rules for the vote are followed , then presumably a complete free plan
for a model of about 60 " will appear in the Autumn Special Issue of RCM & E.

Well Clive its the old story ,If the plan was bigger, or the model thought to be better at a bigger scale then Im sure it wouldnt be out of the question for them to do it,.
And are they rules or recomendations as I didnt remember there actually being anything about rules .. just the recomendations.

Back a few pages someone mentioned about a kit for a Vulcan. I recalled that there was one but it just came to me where I saw it.

http://www.southhertsmodels.com/Vulcan.htm

This is a 6' wingspan and might be suitable for 4 EDF's???

Papa.

Papa why not, 4 EDF's should work ok it was flown on a 60 merco 2 stroke, I think 4 good edf would be more than enough to get this bird in the air and it is a delta so will be pretty forgiving.

my plan for the granger Archaeopteryx arrived today looks interesting, not as large as I thought in the fus but the wing is large and very much a delta ( hang glider ) pitch control looks as though it will have a high pucker factor lets hope it doesn't make me look too incompetent time will tell. go for the Vulcan Papa

Morning Guys.....the voting is now closed so in the next few day we will be having a count up (maybe Steve.A could do a confirmation count for us!)......Thanks for all your input in the voting and on the chat thread.

Just to let you know that the Vulcan (although not the winner of the vote) will be a plan for this year......IN TWO SIZES......a 78" version for a pair of 90mm EDFs (Lander 90mm on 6S or 8S lipo) for the die hard EDF lads and a 52" version for a pair of 70mm (Lander or Eflite) on 4S lipo)

keep an eye out in the Mag......

Are you doing the Vulcan Plan Tone? Or is it by one of our other in house designers, will
have another count,but cant make any promisis on acuracy,that is best left to the true proffesionals like yourself,and our other talented designers...........................oooohhhh
how i envy you guys ..sigh!

These two Vulcan plan are brand new, fresh off the drawing board. Both were drawn from orginal Avro 3-view drawings so they are pretty well spot on.....The large one is for the ducted fan purists who want to install the big 90mm fans and a high cell count....

The 49" version (yes just remeasured the wing span!) is for the Vulcan lovers out there who just want a cheaper set up and a club size model...

The 78" size was produce for a friend who had been on at me for years to design one but when he saw the protoype plan he got cold feet and said not really a club model is it....i think he was right too.....he's now a happy bunny with the forty-niner heading his way

Cheer all