The Biplane Thread

• 1 month later...
Advert

Hello
Here are a few photos of my two biplanes.
The second is a ~30 year old DB Tinker ...OS 15 and overpowered, still flying (has to be calm) still has the original DB Models transferes .

The first is my new just finished, newly flown DB Cirrus Moth ,SC 52 fourstroke powered.
Together they look like little and large, I made a mess of uploading the imagesand put them in the wrong order sorry

Cheers

Roger

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/03/2011 17:39:02:
Nice models both of them Roger - but in very different ways of course. The Cirrus Moth looks excellent - and beautifully finished. The Tinker is just its own unique self isn't it!

Tom - what is it?

BEB

Its a Tiger Cub BEB I am running a thread on it titled THE FIRST TIGER CUB Mark Etherington started the thread .

TW2.

Hi all
Thanks BEB for the nice remarks on my two bipes, you are quite right about them I think it is because they represent two eras in DB designed planes.

The party trick with the Tinker is to land into wind vertically, the plane is really very light and in any breeze penetration is possible but at high rpm's. It is not the best of fliers but you cannot help yourself from loving it when you have the sticks also it does turn heads and I am always questioned about it. With the .15 engine you can take off "scale like" ...or in a couple of yards. On a still day you can have a days flying and not even dent the fuel container.
Yes I know I'm sad but crinklies are like that.

Cheers
Roger

hi all, just got back from flying field after a truly gorgeous afternoon of weather and flying, I flew my Veron Tomtit (again!) but more important my son Darren flew his 150% Tomtit for the first time, he just fast taxied it and it took to the air he soon realised just to let it go and he had it under full control with very little trim after a few seconds, he flew it for a few minutes then he throttled back and the engine cut out it seems to only fire on three when throttled back, so was forced to do a dead stick landing but it flew!! I hope attached are two photos of the Beast.
BS

Ah, now I understand! I thought you meant....well you know what I thought!

Anyway, lovely model. Why not post a few of those pictures here? Its a handsome plane!

BEB

PS If you not sure how to, simply press the "picture button" at the top of the writting pad (the one with the little mountains on it!) then select the photo from your album and press OK

Now thats a bipe and a half,fantastic job,I built and flew the original Veron Tomtit 100 yrs. ago and great fliers they are.

I still have the plans for the Tomtit so you never know,MK11 just around the corner.

Jim

PS Tim will verify my age

Edited By Jim Carss on 14/03/2011 19:22:44

Hi all, I have just switched on the computer (08.15hrs) and read the positive comments, as Darren is back at work and it looks like a flying day I thought I'de phone him and tell him of the comments, so he wouldn't feel so bad about working whilst the old man is out flying!! (someones got to pay my pension!!) Anyway he was very pleased to say the least and thanks you all, the same goes for me, thank you for your kind comments. The next time it fly's I will try to get some flying shots, out of interest, apart from the photo taken from behind the plane these were all taken on a phone camera, hasn't technology come a long way!
Thank you, BS

• 1 month later...
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 28/11/2010 18:33:36:
Posted by Hugh Coleman on 28/11/2010 11:33:32:
Pulled out my Balsa USA 1/6 scale Pup today to have a drool over the bits in the box.

I have been trying to find a suitable sized Aluminium Saucepan to use instead of the ABS coweling that is supplied. No luck so far.

That Flair Legionare looks cute.

Tim, is that the Peter Rake BE2c?

Cheers,

Hugh

Edited By Hugh Coleman on 28/11/2010 11:34:12

Hi Hugh,

take a look around the catering shops in one of the big city "China Towns" - Liverpool, Manchester etc. They sell huge selections of little metal serving bowls - far more varieties of size and shape than you will get in ordinary saucepans. They are the traditional source of WW1 cowlings! And the extra weight up front doesn't usually go amiss either!

BEB
Well, I got the bits out of the box just after xmas and started building.
And this is what it looked like at the end of January.

And today...

Tonight, I finished covering the lower main plane. And I reckon I might get a chance to do the upper on Tuesday.
Cheers,
Hugh

The CAP Gladiator is back on the menu - it's been an on-off affair since I picked it up as an almost complete model a few years back. Almost complete bin job is what it should have been described as. Under the solarfilm over tissue covering it was a bit of a nightmare, with big gobs of epoxy attempting to hold the tailplane in by it's solarfilm covering, chunks of epoxy and polyfilla everywhere, front and rear dihedral braces in different bays, soft balsa wing spars butt joined halfway across panels - every beginners error in the book.
The wing spars have been braced with spruce and webbed, the tail/rudder mounting and cockpit completely rebuilt and the model covered in silver Glosstex. It's now got a second-hand Magnum 90FS bolted on the front, all that remains is to make up the wing struts and rigging, and recover the top of the upper wing which I stripped (again) to add extra mounting bolt captive nuts and rigging points. I'm using streamlined alloy tube for the struts, but can't decide between ball/socket links for plug in ease, or Robart hinge-points in the wing and matching Robart hinge pockets in the strut ends for more functional rigging.  It's on it's 4th engine as they keep getting commandeered for other duties, yet it's never even been fully assembled yet.

Last night was spent filing bits of brass to make the rigging lugs.

Why? What is it that's got me driven to get this ex-wreck airworthy at whatever cost? I wouldn't have looked at it twice if it only had one wing, but a biplane, that's another matter.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 01/05/2011 13:21:17