The Biplane Thread

Our club hosted a scale comp yesterday.

The current Australian F4C Champion, David Law came along with his F4C model.

You can see the photos better at my Flickr site.

And please MODs no having a go at me about links and stuff... I had enough trouble just getting this to work half right!

Hugh

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 06/08/2012 22:23:00

Advert

As it was too wet to go flying last week I started bulding a kit I got off Ebay last year, a discontinued Great Planes Super Skybolt.

From GP listings

From their website:

Outstandingly beautiful and aerobatic

• Combines superbly realistic looks with outstanding aerobatic versatility
  • No special jigs required, built-in jig tabs simplify straight wing assembly
  • Closed, vacuum formed canopy and vacuum formed ABS cowl duplicate the look of the full size Skybolt
  • Comes with wheel pants, landing gear and decals, plus a generous, high quality hardware package

SPECIFICATIONS
Stock Number:
GPMA0170
Wingspan: 57 in (1450 mm)
Wing Area: 930 in² (60 dm²
Weight: 8.5-9.5 lb (3860-4310 g)
Fuselage Length: 52 in (1320 mm)
Requires: 2-stroke .60-.91 (10-15 cc) or 4-stroke .90-1.20 (15-20 cc) engine, 4-channel radio & 3+ rolls Monocote

Thanks to a quiet weekend I've built the tail surfaces and three quarters of the fuselage. It should go quite nicely with an ASP 120 4 stroke in it's snout.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 07/05/2012 18:32:25

Dave , looks very much like a Aamco Aeromaster to me .wink

Bob , think they (G P ) have discontinued the ARTF version as well , shame , the skybolt is a lovely model , Gordon Whitehead reviewed the kit years ago and had a ST 90 2s in it so the 120 4s will be perfect , any build pics ???

Hi Jeff, no pics so far as there are several build threads on RC Universe covering the model. I'll try to get some pics of the wing mounting as that's quite unique being quick detach by  wire hooks at the strut ends engaging tubes buried in the wing with wire clips preventing the struts from disengaging.

The ARTF was reported to be a bit lighter performing ok on the lower end of the power range, but at around £350 if memory serves me, it wouldn't have been a big seller.

I think the original kit was priced around the same, but it really is a deluxe job. Crisp accurate die-cutting, mostly perfect wood selection, extremely detailed and well illustrated instructions and plans on quality paper, good quality and comprehensive (if US sized) accessory pack - it's easy to see where the money went in putting the kit together. The only things missing are the tank, wheels and spinner.

I'm just glad I only had to pay £103 for it - a bargain.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 08/05/2012 11:56:09

WOW surprise , a £105 I am so jealous that’s a real bargain indeed , I think you should at least keep us updated on your build progress .There is a very long thread running on r/c universe for the GP skybolt might be worth a look, if only to wonder how some are built so heavy LOL !

It’s a shame to see the ever shrinking supplies of kits available from firms like SIG ,GP ,Goldberg etc but that, as they say, is progress in this world of ARTF ,BNF and the like , so I will just have to keep my eyes open for that Sig liberty sport ( the plane that the skybolt derived from ) ,Pica Waco and GP Aeromaster and hope I get to it before you do ! smile

I'll start an album with a couple of snaps in. The RCU thread is very helpfull. Having completed the basic fuselage and sheeted the bottom half I am beginning to understand how the struggle to get under 9lb. As the servo, engine and undercart mounts go in the weight suddenly piles on. I'm sure all the 'lite' ply used doesn't help.

• 5 weeks later...

Well here is my biplane. This was the maiden which was why I was able to take pictures...someone more expert was flying it. I have flown it myself since, on a buddy box setup. Maybe soon I will be good enough to fly it myself. It is the Hangar 9 ARTF, with a Saito .91 in it.

Fokker DVII

Fokker DVII

John

• 1 month later...

After the sucess of my 1/6 scale Balsa USA kit build of a Neiuport 17, I finally got all the components and started my build of thier 1/4 scale Neiuport 11. RCGF 26cc powered monster, only thing left to but now is the 10m of linin Solartex.

Here she is all naked and about 90% built.

100_2310[1].jpg

Nice. My Nieuport 28 (artf) fell apart. Currently stripping it down for a re-build. Not really sure it's fit for a 26cc petrol. My 78" Tiger Moth has only been out twice this year due to the weather. Might have to get an ultimate or something similar. Wonder if there's one available in 60 size.......

Jeff,

Nice, I like that, especially the engine and scale cowl. My BUSA Cowl is far too long. I also need to do something to make those 7" wheels look less like a toy!

Not sure on colour scheme yet. I will get Linen or Antique coloured Solatex and my current thinking is:

Fleet Air Arm, basic scheme

Italian (can't remember the Ace pilot's name, but the one with Red, and Green painted wing undersides)

One of the French Aces - Zagomar scheme possibly?

I'm away in Canada for the next 6 weeks (work, sadly) so I'll have plenty of time to ponder and re re re read (must have read through 4 times already) my Nieuport Aces book for inspiration.

Chris

Posted by Clifford Stone on 07/08/2012 16:02:46:

Looking at getting a 'Mini Panic' electric powering it . . . any one have any experiance with this Mk? Does it fly as Avicraft say 'as well at its big sister'? any problems or it a no brainer . . . go for it?

CJS

Flown most Panics from the original through to the ARTF and inc the Mini.

Got a white ARTF (with 91) and a Mini now. I was there as the only spectator for the maiden flight of the very first Mini Panic

To be cruel, how can any small version of a plane be as directionally stable as a larger one....well, it can't. Can come surprisingly close though!!!

Thanks Dave, I had an original Panic for years, absoluty superb with an HB 61 and Perry carb . . .

Mini Panic . . . "suprisingly close"? . . . I like it, its so practical, I'm going to the Nat's this year on Sunday, weather permitting, first time since the mid 90's . . . I, thats me and Hazel, we will be burning up the service roads on our mobility scooters . . . See what they have in the trade tents?

CJS