You may or may not know that ive been working on a new OD F3P model for this years EIM, well here she is. Myself and Andy had a look around all the F3P planes on the market and took insperation from them all to hopfully come up with somthing different.

The Wisper F3P

[url=

][img]http://i61.servimg.com/u/f61/13/41/81/32/wisper10.jpg[/img][/url]

Cut No1 off freash off the laser (thanks Rich Badham)

Just need to glue her together and test fly before we commit to competition spec, fingers crossed

[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=159&u=13418132][img]http://i61.servimg.com/u/f61/13/41/81/32/18112010.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=160&u=13418132][img]http://i61.servimg.com/u/f61/13/41/81/32/18112011.jpg[/img][/url]

Thanks must go to Andy Sayle who worked as Chief Aero type designer on this.

Cheers
BB

Edited By Barnesyboy on 21/11/2010 11:06:24

Very Nice BB!

Looks and flys very similar to my Click 2 perhaps a lot of inspiration from that model with the exception of the top stabilizer!  That prop hangs very well - very stable (due to your flying skills of course!)

I hope it goes well for you. I think you could be on to a winner - well Done!

KR  Al

Thanks Alan, The design is based on a mix of the Click, Morback and Mercury. with some design tweeks by my very skilled CAD man Andy Sayle.

By the end of the meet i had her flying quite nice so the design prisiple works. but as it was a rush build she came out abit porky at 169grm!

But that was with 9grm servos all round and a Tower Pro 2204 motor at 24grm, pushrod Rudder and Ele (as I didnt have any spare pull pull arms) and no milling so im confident i can shed a fair amount of weight for her next flight.

Cog took abit of faffing about and its still tail heavy (pull pull should sort that) and there a couple of things Andy S wants to change on the design but as a base line it was ok, VERY little roll coupling needed on rudder turns. Rolls very becoming very axel by the end of the meet. It holds a line very well both level and inverted.

Ive got some fancy Carbon control ams and motor mount on the way from Robert, couple that with my axi/lighter servos and my proper F3p packs (was using 2s 350mah today but will be going 250mah) and maybe a tad of milling we sould get abit better

i can save the following weight quite easy

change two 9gm servos for 3.5gm =10/11grm saved
change motor Tower Pro 2204 (24grm) for my proper one @15gm = saved 9gm
Lipos from 350mah (25gm) to 250mah (20grm) =5grm saved
Pushrod ele and rudder to pull pull with carbon fittings = aprox 3grm saved

so just with that around 27gm saved on total weight add to that carbon motor mount insted of ply, carbon ele horns and abit of milling or extra cutouts I can easaly get sub 150grm I reckon

Yes you should save weight with the mods.  It does sound a bit porky!  Definetly ditch the ply!  You could even use a EPP foam motor mount like the click 2 for shock absorbtion just in case!!

Im not a great fan of the cavelar thread on the control surfaces. I use a closed loop on the elevator and rudder with 1mm carbon rod - keeps the controls stiff and tight.

Im only using a turnigy 6 amp speed controller and a 12 gm motor and 5g servos. Even with a 500 mah 2 cell lipo it weighs in at about 145 gms I could go smaller on the servos and the the lipo but what the hell I dont fly competition!.  So with all your mods you should be able to easily get sub 150 gms!

It should be really good when you have finished!

I am interested how you get on - keep us posted BB.  I'm off now to fly my Acromaster and RC flash and to brave the weather!  My son is going to fly his foamy Wot 4 if it dosn't fall apart!  So far its been fine and not had the problems as a lot of the other forum members have had.

Al

I am impressed.

Perhaps a tutorial, for the RCM&E, regarding how you work towards flying in confined a space.

Particularly how you achieve the (so called) high alpha, without stalling, looks easy when you do it.

Also how direction is controlled,using rudder and aileron etc.

Posted by Erfolg on 21/11/2010 12:39:20:
I am impressed.

Perhaps a tutorial, for the RCM&E, regarding how you work towards flying in confined a space.

Particularly how you achieve the (so called) high alpha, without stalling, looks easy when you do it.

Also how direction is controlled,using rudder and aileron etc.

Possibly somthing for somone in the future, writing isnt my bag really, Timbo is forever corecting my spelling and grammer on the club forum lol,

I'll try and keep you all uptodate with modifications and videos leading up to the event where I will fail on an epic scale!

BB

Had a play around with the airframe on Sunday and managed to save some weight got her sitting at 148grm on the scales so a huge saving was made, just with servos, arms, battery and pull pull, will add some milling ready for the weekend but Idealy i want to save more without having to do that.

Just have to find some cash to buy a hacker A10 or Axi 2203 motor i think

thats very impressive for an OD bb

if you haven't had one already, the A-10 is a very good motor, both I started flying one on my clik and basically the entire club has followed suit on their F3P models.

how to fly indoor? well from my experience, be familiar using all 4 controls at once, practice a lot on a decent sim (especially at first to get used to it and to learn new maneouvres) and make sure you have the best model you can afford for the job. remember, lightness is the key. some people in my club are completely perplexed when I fly aerobatics indoors, I think they key areas to go from an indoor pilot to an indoor aerobatic pilot is practice first on the sim then just go for it! If you haven't got the guts to turn your model inverted you won't get anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Thought I would update you all on my progress, In the past 12 months Ive been playing around with the Wisper design finishing off with the maiden on V3.7 yesterday.

With EIM 2011 just a week away It may be abit to late to get it flying right for the comp but It will be there.

Anyway, the Wisper has evolved into this competition monster!

AUW of 110g covered with 0.5 Mylar

BB

Edited By Barnesyboy on 27/11/2011 11:00:32