Bit Cold Out--How much Flying are You Getting In

I actually managed to get out and fly today

The ground was soft and it was cold on the hands but we had a dozen members there.
I stayed two hours and enjoyed an old Cermark Dragonfly (tiny powered glider) and also my twin converted  YT 3Demon. 
This is really interesting to fly with contra rotating props and no torque reaction. 
I also have a mix I can switch in so the two throttles work separately off the rudder stick. That makes taxiing very easy indeed, but causes some very odd effects in the air. 

Advert

Lovely day here, plenty of sunshine. Flew another photo-reconnaissance with the EG over Terry's crash site today, looking for his Terry S but didn't see it. We've searched the accessible ground in the area twice now but it must be in the impenetrable scrub - so it looks as if it's a goner...........

Also flew the ST Models Fox which has a strong tendency to turn right all the time. The starboard wing weighed 15g more than the port wing, so despite the addtitional 7g of lead on the wingtip, it seems it needs more. Definitely runs out of ooomph on the glide - must be that large cross-section of the fus. Might try with some ballast but that will probably mean uprating the motor, which is rather marginal on power.

Lastly, had a fun 20 mins or so with the cute little Great Planes minicub which I described here. Flies just like a vintage jobby but I must set the brake on the ESC to reduce the prop-drag.. Thoroughly enjoyed doing circuits and bumps until the battery weakened

Ah well, time for tea!

Pete

Had a great day today Sunshine all day,no wind of any sinifigance,no gloves needed.1st had  a warm up flight with the Fun Cub,followed by the Fun fly competition which I enjoyed.Then the Puss Moth had its maiden flight.Re adjusted the elevator for the second flight where I took control for a short time.Im going to reduce the aileron travel before the next flight but a very satifactory  2 flights.Finally had an enjoyable flight with the Harmon Rocket.

Forecast for Fort William, FOG. Yep it was too, for about an hour early on. then polished blue sky.

I enjoyed flying my Panic although I am not sure was it the cold or me getting rusty, bit ragged was my flying.

I was not sure I would get flying though as the model started icing up as soon as it was out of the car. Does not look good for next weekend though, back to the nasty cold windy stuff.

It's not so much the cold that's kept me away from flying lately - it's the warm Australian Spring weather that's ideal for finishing a long-ignored garden and landscaping project!

With the manual labour all said and done and permission to fly now fully restored and signed off, I had my first flight proper flight in about a year yesterday!

What a great relief to get back in the air again! To re-acquaint myself with the sticks I pulled out my fully refurbished, re-covered, re-tinkered and tuned trainer and set to the skies.

Most importantly, she was returned to the racks at the end of a blustery day with no repairs needed.

The added bonus - my own-design DIY onboard glow driver worked an absolute treat giving me easy starting, rock-solid idle and smoooooth transition from idle to flat out every time.

I'm one happy camper today.... 

Oh yes, Stephen there were definitely a few cobwebs to be cleared out. I'd occasionally kept the thumbs a little in tune with some simulator time, but no amount of simulator time gets rid of the jitters completely.

My first landing had a little bit of a bounce-float-drop sequence to it, but thankfully not too bad and no damage was done.

It was all good after I got that one out of the way. The fact that the wind was very inconsistent in both direction and strength made it more uncomfortable but more satisfying to come home unscathed... In fact by the time I bought it down for the last landing the wind was so strong the trainer touched down smoothly at no more than a slow jogging pace!

It's now time to knuckle down and get in some good air time to before maidening my recently completed Nijhuis 62" Spitfire.

Now there's a nervous day ahead....

Very cold but ideal conditions.  keyfob camera images, hopefully will attach.
  Camera for some reason records in 500Mb blocks and takes hours to download to Utube

NOTE I have copied embeded code as instructed etc but does not appear to be working for me 

OOOPs How do I remove multiple links? - Done  BEB

Edited By Hamish McNab on 13/12/2010 21:36:11

Edited By Hamish McNab on 13/12/2010 21:37:09

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/12/2010 21:43:55

Hi Hamish,

Nice vid - made me shiver just looking at it!

Re the file size in the cam, I use Windows MovieMaker to edit my videos to a maximum of about 4 mins. When you reach the 'Publish Movie' stage, I use the drop-down list to select a file size of no more than 35-40Mb, create that and upload that version to Youtube. Even that takes getting on for an hour from here (I have 1Mb download and the upload speed is not much better than 150-200kb). The published resolution is lower than the raw footage, that's for sure, but it does save a lot of time.

You will still have the edited project in MovieMaker so if you want a higher resolution for your own use, just publish it again at the higher res.

Pete

Well I didn't get to go flying on Sunday - family committments. But I did try something new!

Sunday here was a perfect flying day - blue sky, no wind worth talking about. A bit chilly - but not at all bad. And I couldn't go. Well I could have gone - but I'd have been leaving behind some very long faces! So I tried my little speach "Its OK love, I know its a perfect flying day, but I also know you need me here - so I'll forgo the flying and stay with you - and I'll do it in good grace". Well she didn't say much to that and I thought it had fallen on deaf ears.

Then later in the evening, when the kids had gone to bed, she came through with a cup of coffee and kissed me on the cheek! "What's that for?" I asked,

"Its for being so good today - I know you wanted to go flying but you stayed and were great all day." She really is quite sweet

But to the payoff - which is of course, MEGA Brownie points!!!!!! Sometimes its worth a little sacrifice - hopefully I'll get a lot more time flying in the long run on the back of this one!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/12/2010 23:58:49