Bit Cold Out--How much Flying are You Getting In

Advert

It was minus 5 this morning, and we've around 9" of very soft snow in the field.  I did a few circuits but I was getting wound up by the low sun which with that wind direction would be in my eyes just as I turned from base to final.   First flight I landed downwind and the model slid around 50' on the snow before nosediving.   I had a few more goes flying a curved approach to keep out of the sun, but every landing was filling the motor and innards of the model with snow, so I packed up.

I wish I had the floats for the Fun Cub (which is nearly ready by the way).

I dug out my thermals and crossed my fingers that I wouldn`t be the only nutter wanting to fly today. Well, we had 5 hardy souls at the field today. It was Brrr freezing . It was a bit difficult starting the engine and I had to keep the flights short as the tips of my fingers were numb after 5mins. But I`m glad I braved the elements as this time of year you never know when you will get out next.

Great days flying today.

I have a set of the "specially designed RC gloves".  They seem to work pretty well- a bit thicker and warmer than the fingerless type.  Also we got the fire built nice and high, so spent a lot of the day stood round it!

Had to put my model restraint in with a hammer though

Have recently moved from IC more to electric powered gliders from flat field.  I am fortunate and have access  to a field 10m from my door step.  Went out a few times today in beautiful clear blue skies with virtually no wind, absolutely magic, just drifting about, however brass.

Very cold standing in the snow in wellies.  Got a set of skiers goggles and tried them to keep out the wind to stop my eyes watering.  Hope to compete in F5J so was practicing climbs to 200m when kind of lost sight of glider.  Pulled goggles up to find it even worse and not realising that in the cold  I had pulled my glasses off at the same time.  Pulled glasses back down and got into focus so continued to saunter around.

Hope tomorrow is the same, although I think I will look for a transmitter muff as my only problem was fingers were going numb as I am not to keen on gloves.  Anybody no of a supplier?

10 available it says. 

I had a couple of brief flights today.  It was 0ºC as I set off to the field and I arrived there as the only two flyers were leaving.  Fortunately somebody else arrived just behind me so we went and flew.  The other guy was flying without any gloves and landed after about a minute... 

I'd planned to have another quick flight then head for home, but then a few more flyers turned up so ended up staying until sunset.  It was certainly chilly though - even with my fingerless gloves (and extra gloves on top between flights) I didn't fly for much more than 5 minutes per flight.  Must dig out my TransMitt...

Same for me - only 2 other fliers turned up while I was there.  The snow was only a frosting but the skis on my Limbo Dancer worked fine on the icy grass.

My solution to the cold fingers problem is to use RAF aircrew gloves (found some on Ebay a couple of years ago) which are close fitting and very soft and thin (kid?) leather designed to operate switches and knobs in the cockpit. They won't keep your hands warm indefinitely but take the edge off for the duration of a flight and give plenty of feel - you can almost forget you're wearing them.

Edited By Martin Harris on 27/11/2010 22:39:40

Have a look on Amazon for Hand Warmers, the use once self heating type. The ones I have been using are called Little Hotties. Magic they are, last at least eight hours, on the palms inside the open tip gloves.

Best bit, forty pairs for £20:75? delivered.

Boot sized ones can be got too. Dearer though and you need room in the boots

A few years ago a mate and I were flying on a very old fresh morning. Suddenly there was a loud crack from his H9 Spitfire, loss of power and a steep descent. He recovered the model safely and we went to investigate. His spinner had shattered and the bits we found showed ice accretion!

Cold weather flying although fun, has a whole new set of problems: weak batteries, brittle wood and metal etc.

well last night was a goodin/badin....depend's which way you look at it......we had snow best part of the night...and the temp's have remained -below 0c.......we left the heating on last night when we went to dreamland.....how come last week end at this time we weren't told to prepare for this ?...... and finally a few of the smaller villages around here are cut off and the trader's were on the tv last night complaining of no customer's....this is day 3 of the bad weather and also we are been told the cold spell could last for 2 month's........ 

ken anderson    ne...1.   on yellow snow watch..  

ps... see below the photo i took from our front window..........   ..

show's how bad it is.......