Bit Cold Out--How much Flying are You Getting In

Advert

Nice and sunny on Sunday with a few clouds coming in from the North around 14:00 - very light winds. The clouds actually help as the sun was exactly at the position where you make the landing curve...
So the right conditions for me. Discharged 6 batteries and then I was cold enough to go home again. But I was not alone - we were 4 freezing people at the MKMAA yesterday afternoon.

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 29/11/2010 09:47:19

Hi Tony

We have a rule no solo flyer's  because of safety issues, the site is a bit remote, but it was very tempting...but rules are rules.

Why is that?   Is it a land-owner condition?

No, just a club safety rule in case of accident. medical emergency , cut wrist on a prop etc!

JC

back to the post title........today in the north east we have had a little respite......milder temp's 2c....and thing's trying to thaw out......it's just been on the local radio that they are taking off the 'buses'(public transport) at 19.00.......2010 !...and last but not least........enrico the foreign lad has been down at the cliff's with a couple of HTP member's...i think thing's didn't go to plan.......but we'll wait for a first hand account from them there...he was last heard shouting  "i'm a celebrity get me outta here ".....

ken anderson   ne..1.   the eye's and ear's of the north...    

In reply to Don (McN) way up the page, you woudn't have been alone at the field, but I was in South Devon for a few days. No snow there, just a sprinkle Sunday evening but it was gone by morning.
Glad to see you're keeping the field 'aired'.  I see there were no cricketers there either.....

Posted by Don McNab on 28/11/2010 21:12:21:
Hi FTB, hope you're keeping ok. Flying today reminded me very much of my few outings to Camisky a couple of years ago!
Regards to all of you at FW.

Cheers     Don 
 Hi Don. not often someone can say they remember Camisky  Will pass message.

I did not fly yesterday, not enough snow. In fact more like a hard frost. leaving the ground a very rough frozen scouring pad. Even colder and harder today. The local snow is still above 2000ft.

I have a few days off this week and I planned on doing some flying and some building. The wife had other things in mind. Although yesterday was a gift. The sun was shinning albeit very cold and there was only a small breeze so I took out my mustang and went round the park a couple times. I was wearing gloves for the first time. Not a good idea! so I managed to land and get her back up without the gloves and it was a real treat. I'm from Canada originaly so if it's not damp ( like it is most of the time here in Belfast) Then I can just bundle up and hang out outside. If it is damp out well that's ahorse of a different colour.

Posted by JayCee on 29/11/2010 11:33:10:

No, just a club safety rule in case of accident. medical emergency , cut wrist on a prop etc!

JC

JC,  that's only half the reason for the rule.  The other part of the reason is that we need to ensure there's at least one other person present to keep a look out for stray members of the public and to alert the flyer to their presence.  It all ties in with the original risk assessment that allows us to fly there.

Posted by John Privett on 01/12/2010 00:43:59:
Posted by JayCee on 29/11/2010 11:33:10:

JC

JC,  that's only half the reason for the rule.  The other part of the reason is that we need to ensure there's at least one other person present to keep a look out for stray members of the public and to alert the flyer to their presence.  It all ties in with the original risk assessment that allows us to fly there
 going on with another answer to the above......it's said - if you are alone at your particular/probably isolated flying field...... and you have a model with a fair size engine in it...and you catch one of your major arteries...you'll probably faint and the time you are out for the count you'll bleed to death....20 min's to drain your content's....  ...............  

DR ken anderson   ne..1.

Edited By ken anderson. on 01/12/2010 07:55:09