Bit Cold Out--How much Flying are You Getting In

Posted by ken anderson. on 28/11/2010 10:07:06:
well last night was a goodin/badin....depend's which way you look at it......we had snow best part of the night...and the temp's have remained -below 0c.......we left the heating on last night when we went to dreamland.....how come last week end at this time we weren't told to prepare for this ?...... and finally a few of the smaller villages around here are cut off and the trader's were on the tv last night complaining of no customer's....this is day 3 of the bad weather and also we are been told the cold spell could last for 2 month's........ 

ken anderson    ne...1.   on yellow snow watch..  

ps... see below the photo i took from our front window..........   ..

show's how bad it is.......  

That's awful, Ken - can't see a thing. Don't you go out in that..................

Pete

Advert

Had an hour on Thursday afternoon last, cold but fairly calm and sunny, buzzing the Flying Wings Mini v-tail about.  Last night was one of only a handful of folk to defy the gloomy snow-laden forecasts and go along to Tonbridge for some indoor fun.  All went well, helped video my flying buddy Steve's long term bet-winning attempts to get his Flying Flea to - well, fly - which it DID  (tis on U Tube), and had my first indoor RC session with newly acquired PZ Ember 2, bought on sale from SMC. What a terrific little aeroplane!   Managed to avoid all static objects, walls, other flyers etc, cant believe how long those tiddly little batteries can be made to go for.  Back to Hastings before overnight snow did turn up - it's all gone now.

Hi, can't miss an opportunity like this....only -6 deg but still air and great flying. Nobody else turned up (don't know why) so had the field to myself until my fingers gave up.

Cheers     Don

Down  to the field today ,managed to get gloves and hat on the way,first one there.Had the  wind sock and peg board out and the electric fence down before anyone else arrived.First flight was Fun Cub,and dont seem to have loss of power or time from the batteries,but maybe Im getting cold and landing quicker..2 flights with the Harmon rocket,been awhils since Ive flown it,and a bit of a cissy take off but was fine from there on.Then we tried to maiden the Cessna 182 which all went well..Another flight with the Fun Cub really began to feel the cold and with that and having had a good flight landed and came home

It wasnt as cold as expected because there was no wind.someone arrived with a pretty little 3 channel model,high winger,OS 20  2 stroke.First flight take off was dodgy because it was tail heavy,but our expert saved it and had it back down before the end of the strip.We added 80 grams and that sorted it.We then started discussing whether it had flown before and wondering how many models are around that have never been flown.

Just returned from -3 at the field. Fur lined wellies, 2 pairs of thick long socks, fleece lined work trousers, 2 T shirts, 1 jumper, overalls, windproof jacket, fingerless gloves and thermal hat did it for me. Well after putting that lot on I just had stay out and yes could still move under that lot. I wasn't cold though so it was worth the trouble to get out on a beautiful day. The absence of any wind will have helped a great deal too.

If it gets any colder I'll have to start wearing my thermal underwear though!

Got back from the field 3.15.
Only three of us turned up.
A light covering of snow on the strip, not a breath of wind,clear blue sky marvelous.
Flew my J 60 4 times but the engine (new SC 32) cut on last two flights, dead stick off the strip, minor dammage to u/c mounting.Til flew his Yak, Malcolm flew his hellis.
Where were all the others? ( flaps arms and makes chicken noises )
Question - although we got the engine running and picking up well on the ground, when slowing down on the landing circuit the engine cut, could this be due to the low (-2C)temperature over cooling the engine?

What gets me is that there have been some really fabulous weekend flying days this year but on several occasions I have been the only one to attend out of 100 members. I prefer to fly with others around for safety reasons and, of course, we all like to show off. Why do people wait until the weather is abysmal and then moan about it?
And no, I don`t smell appart from glow fuel.

Flat calm and bright sunshine all day here in Shropshire!

We got to the field mid-morning, and stayed until the sun started to set (and there was frost forming on the models...).

Excellent day!  A handful of hardy members in attendance, not to mention a potential new member who turned up on the off-chance.  He'd never flown a model before, so we were able to buddy him up for a flight on Netty's trainer.  He did remarkably well, and was managing ragged circuits in under 15 mins.

The little Pix - E had her first experience of taking off from snow, and aquitted herself very well, whilst Netty flew her Renard and Seagull Spacewalker.

Those who chickened out today just don't know what they missed!

tim

oooh... cold on our field sat morning! -3 on arrival and yet there were 6 flyers(nutters). By twelve it was still at freezing, but we were still flying, authough not as frequently as in the summer'. Flights of 5 minutes are the order of the day as fingers lose all feeling after that time and landings start to look dificult. Gave up at one o clock and went home to thaw out... Wife unsympathetic as to plight..She says going flying is optional- she just doesn t understand, does she?

Brrrrr! It was cold today. But otherwise perfect - no wind, bright blue sky.

I had a "first". I couldn't start my engine (that's not the "first"!). Initially I put it down to the cold at -2, kept trying. Soon it became apparent that there was a bigger problem. I realised - no fuel was getting through. On investigating I found that the fuelling valve had stuck in the "refuelling" position - persumably due to the cold as its never happened before! Still, got it sorted in the end.

Despite many layers only stayed about 2-3 hours - just too damn cold!

BEB

PS When I was leaving the house, packing the car, my next door neighbour said "Surely your not going today - you must be mad!"....and your point is?

I went to my local field twice last week & once the week before  - billy no mates !

Today (sun) it was chilly but very little wind, just a nice crisp dry winters day, lovely sunshine too.  At the field from 1pm = 2:45pm, again nobody else there (and little in the way ofr fresh tracks through the snow !).

Is it only me that  looks out of the window every morning to see if it's potential flying weather if work permits ?

Definetly not John - my first thought every morning (even if I'm going to work!) is "Is it flying weather?" Certainly a look out the bedroom window is de rigor on weekend mornings. Is it raining, no. Is it foggy, no. Is it blowing a gale, no. Right then quick bit of breakfast and off! Temperature doesn't really enter into the calculation.

I make very poor company on a fair weather Saturday or Sunday if I haven't got a tranny in my mits!

BEB

Today I only had the morning available for flying and as we can't fly at the club before noon this meant a trip to the slopes.  The North-Easterly wind meant a trip to the South Downs so Bopeep was selected - I'd never been there before, but a couple of others I knew were going.

It was a chilly -3 as I set off at a time I thought only existed on weekdays, certainly not on Sunday mornings...  Nice fine weather - but still cold - all the way down the M23/A23, then in the last mile or two of the A27 it started snowing.  Quite heavily.  That made the drive up the hill to Bopeep a little "interesting." 

Fingerless gloves and a TransMitt were the order of the day,  though this did mean launching left-handed,  something I'd not tried before...

All too soon it was time to head for home and resume "taxi" duties for my younger daughter.  One day,  I'll get to fly one of the South Downs slopes for the whole day.  One day...

Hi FTB, hope you're keeping ok. Flying today reminded me very much of my few outings to Camisky a couple of years ago!
Regards to all of you at FW.

Cheers     Don 

Been caught out a few times in the last week or so, arriving at the site with perfect flying conditions and no one there

We have a rule no solo flyer's  because of safety issues, the site is a bit remote, but it was very tempting...but rules are rules.

Went home picked up my trusty Wot 4 foam-e and took it to a local field had four flights had to take off the undercarriage (again) and belly land it in the long grass, still good fun...and it is stick time!

JC

Edited By JayCee on 28/11/2010 22:29:23