FIAT G50 WW2 Warbird

Advert

Linds , Thanks and I do hope so.

Danny , Scheme is also good for the F4C lots of color and also complex, will give good points.

Danny / CS , Who knows maybe next year on the RCME meeting would make a great day to do some flying together.

Bob , Thanks and must have had two guardian angels each holding up one wheel.

Ton

Hi Edwin,

Thanks.

For now with the first flight the elevator needed to be at about 5mm up elevator trim, so was planning on using 5mm balsa to increase the incidence.

But than again it was only one flight with lots of trimming and wind force 4-5, looks like there is a lot more to be tested specially to set the CG properly.

The Fiat is back on it wheels again so looking forward to another flight today.

Ton

Posted by Ton van Munsteren on 19/05/2013 10:37:03:

Hi Edwin,

Thanks.

For now with the first flight the elevator needed to be at about 5mm up elevator trim, so was planning on using 5mm balsa to increase the incidence.

But than again it was only one flight with lots of trimming and wind force 4-5, looks like there is a lot more to be tested specially to set the CG properly.

The Fiat is back on it wheels again so looking forward to another flight today.

Ton

That would make sense. The wing needs to fly at a certain angle of attack to provide the right amout of lift so if the AoA is too small the aircraft needs to fly with a tail down attitude (with up trim).

Conversly, AoA too large, tail high, down trim.

Congratulations Ton, excellent model of a not so common subject.

bbc,

With models I don't have experience with I do test flights as many as needed and most of the time I do a test flight because I can't wait for the finished model firstwink , I just need to fly it. cool

My jet designs will have one test flight to make sure after that it will get colours.

And some I don't test fly like the P51 which is now in the June RCME.

The Fiat is a totally different story because its my first design with a 2mtr span and with all sizes scale because the model started as a design for scale F4C competition. The problem with that is that the stabiliser is scale (way to small) and not enlarged like normally would be done. I also wanted to make sure that with the short nose and the extra weight (speakers) the model would fly good enough or would need a bigger stabiliser or what even modification. I could have finished the Fiat but than I would have to fly is always with a 5mm up trim on the elevator and thats for me not acceptable.

Ton

Tony,

Thats correct although the wind was still way to hard and very bumpy I made a flight with 2.5mm balsa between the fuse and the trailing edge and the trim is now about 3mm.

Also checked the stall and it looks like that the CG is to far forward which was also shown on landing showing a little like a stabiliser stall.

Also need more power and will go from 8S Lipo to 10S Lipo.

I had some fun today and had a nice flight the landing was less because it ended on its nose with a broken prop, the grass is way to high and it wants to stand very easy on its nose.

Did a full flap landing and that was great just as steady as a rock only missed a little more power for the final roll out and as mentioned ended the Fiat on its nose.

Ton

• 7 months later...

The last post was from May , time is going fast and this build blog sure can use an update so here we go.

With the test flight it showed that the wing could use more + angle incidence. with the final test flight the balsa was 4.5mm thick and it could still use a little more. So 6mm sure would do the job to get the elevator at about 0 trim.

To be honest it was not the easiest job but it worked out just fine.

Getting to close.

Ton

• 7 months later...

Hi Ton! thanks for your reply

which profile HL81 is? the only references about such profile I can find on the web direct to your works again.. is this profile your personal design? The most similar profile name I found is HL813353 on the Profili2 website - **LINK** - is it that?

I am asking because I am now designing myself a small G50 - 1:24, 45 cm wingspan, to be powered with the gear from an Eflite UMX Sbach 3D, 75 g target AUW - and I have to decide the airfoil. I know airfoil doesn't matter that much at such small size so I am looking for one that looks good on the plane and your model looks damn good

have a nice Sunday everyone!

Andrea