FIAT G50 WW2 Warbird

Have been working form 2008 on my Fiat G50 first started with the drawing and in 2009 with the build of the model.

The design was at first started to make it into a kit for RBCkits but plans have changed and when its up to me and hopefully RCM&E the Fiat will make it into a drawing publication.

Being a F4C scale fan I have been trying to have the Fiat as good to scale as possible and have to admit that its hard to reach that high level, specialy when you don't have the real plane standing somewhere in a museum.

Because I only do fly Eflight I based the design on a electricmotor , sound system and a wingspan of 2 meter.

Have made already about 300 photo's so this will be a thread with lots of pics to share.

Hope you guys like it and if there are to many pics please tell.

Let start with some pics and let them tell the story for now.

This is the version Iam going for.

My workshop door with lots of collected photo's.

Ton

Sorry Danny and Tim for the late reply, but I just came back from a training in Germany.

Danny,
Yes I like to work with 3D to know for sure the parts are correct and that the connection or openings are in the right place and order.

For me the greatest fun is to see a model grow on my screen and to see how its going to look like at the end.

Its also a check for the surface to make sure its good to shape and smooth.

A lot more difficult and time consumming and not always needed when the model or basic design is not to complicated.

I design my models with some self-aligning in mind and for a build thats as easy as possible (I hope) and to give RBCkits the option to turn it into a kit.

Clearance : To be honest I don't take any tolerance in account there is to much deviation in the wood / cnc cutting etc etc sizes that I don't work with +/- 0,1 or what ever.

I just work with the standard thickness of lets say 2mm or 3mm etc knowing that the liteply RBC is selling is like 2.8mm or something, other type's of plywood's are 3mm or even +tol, that make it all very difficult to have a 100% fit which you don's realy need and could even give tension in the construction.

I let RBCkits do the work on cnc cutting my parts and let them handle the tolerance and must admit that they are always doing a good job for me.

Tim,
Good to have you here hope you like the Fiat and enjoy the build.

Here some more pics.

Ton 

Im just amazed at how clever you guys are.I have trouble writing sentences on my computer let alone anything else.Im so impressed with what you create on your computer Ton.What do you actually send to  RBC Kits,to get them to create the kit required.And the speed at which its coming together also.its all so impressive

Thanks for the information Ton, I have never managed to get to grips with the leap from 2D to 3D I am okay with basic straight lines but when it comes to curves I get a bit lost. 2D is probably all I will do as none of my plans are for mass consumption, just my own models.

Stephen there is an excellent course you can do online if you are interested, based on TurboCad and is purely about designing models. It is given by Gary Hethcoat over on RCSB. I can send the link if you are interested its 4 one hour sessions.

Anyway sorry Ton, trampling all over your fascinating thread

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 17/12/2010 09:03:10

Stephen,

Thanks for the compliment.

What I send to RBC is my 3D drawing with all the parts taken out in 3D than set in 2D. 
The 2D parts are than placed in a drawing with the balsa sheet outlines and the material selection and thickness, for cutting the parts.
The rest is up to RBC to make from the 3D drawing a 2D drawing for in a kit and I must say that its a lot of work to make a good 2D drawing.

Danny,

Thanks now your making me nervous

Its good to work with a 2D drawing and would be no problem to design and build a good model from, why not go the extra mile and have a go at making a drawing and send it to RCME and if I can help please tell.
The Tony Nijhuis, Tim Hooper and Peter Miller designs are perfect samples for that and are all their models are great and they are doing a lot of modellers a good deed.
To be honest I do want to go back in basic more simpler designs and have plans for a lot more design in about 65inch span for all type of airplane.
But then starting with a 2D drawing and using only 3D for checking shapes like the fuselage and wing ribs.
Love to see all the request from all the guys in the Tony Special topic and see a lot of less know planes that a would love to design and build and off course publish in RCME.

OOOOOOO NNNNOOOO more designs I still have to finish 5 drawings maybe I ask for more spare time for christmas.

Ton

Danny Im either a coward,or truthfully dont believe my brain would cope at present,What I mean by that is I read what Ton sent to RBC,but  still havent figured it out yetIm at the stage where you can tell me how to do something,I listen intently and didnt get it.It comes by doing it,over and over.Ive come an amazing journey in 3 years of modelling and proud of my progress,but it is 1 step at a time.

Hi Ton,I dont understand the cad program,I remember Gemma writing a lot about cad.I understand 2D and 3D(I watched Avatar in 3D),but Im trying to understand exactly what you have to send to RBC ,for them to produce the kit, and how they go about it with what they are given..Do they get ,similar to what you showed in your first photos and measurements.Or do they put information you give them in to a computer that reads cad and it then instructs a machine to chisel a balsa tree into the parts you require

Shaun ,
Thanks good to hear you like it.

Stephen,
I will try to explain;

In the first photo you see all the parts needed for the FIAT to build .

In the next photo a closer look at the parts placed in a balsa sheet size rectangle,
so RBC knows what size sheet to cut from and how many sheets needed.

Next are the Plywood parts, for that its good to know what sheet size the CNC machine can handle, because there is no standard like the balsa sheets.

Next the most important photo of a part with all possible problems that
RBC needs to correct, if the part drawing is not good for cutting.

1 :  is the actual part in 2D as it would show on the drawing.
2 :  the same part made active to show all the line dots and how its build up,
      this dots are the referance points for the CNC cutter to know where to go.
3 :  same part with to many dots the cutter will have to many ref. points and
      cutting will take to long and can cause problem and will also make the
      cuttingtime  expencive.
4 :  same part with the line brocken , the line should be closed or else the
      cutter will be allover the part and will go from one end to the other.

The better the drawing the less (repair)work for RBC to cut and the more interresting
they can offer the parts to the designer/builder.

They still need to do a lot of work for making the parts ready because they need to
set the parts in CNC cutting data and also make the offset on the part line fot the cutter
thickness.

I hope to have made it a little more clear.

Ton

Lindsay,

Thanks and good to have you here and must admit when you go for the CNC parts theres no way back it makes life so much easier building that model.
Please do keep in mind that cutting CNC as a strait line is quicker than a rounded line and therefore less costly.
Great new design you have made on the Debutant will be following your every step

Ton