Piper Twin Apache PA23 -150 74"

Danny Fenton

Advert

That will do it. Come on Danny, we all know your next post is going to be along the lines of "The lid fell of the glue and I thought I'd better try a few bits - just to see if they fitted...".

Great work Ton btw - I said to Danny this week that I'm really glad you came to the rescue!

Edited By Ian Deary on 23/03/2012 22:47:12

Well I was walking past the workshop this morning and some pixies have been in, I reckon students of Yoda Hooper.....

Now you see why spending so much time on the cad work pays off. These parts are pressed together only. The fit is tight enough that I can pick this up and it wont fall apart. No part has yet been trimmed. And the Pixies haven't found the glue bottle fortunately.

One thing 74" seemed small, but it doesn't seem small now!

Must put it in a cupboard so the Pixies can't find it.............

Came upstairs to the workshop and they had been at it again.

Bear in mind I have no plan, and no numbering on these bits, they are so accurate if a bit doesn't fit its wrong. Hardest 3d puzzle i have ever done but what a way to start a build. Well chuffed. Thanks Ton you are the best!!!

Cheers

Danny

PS still no glue, the fit is fantastic

Edited By Danny Fenton on 24/03/2012 17:22:17

Ian, thanks for the compliment.

Danny, OOOOO now you have made a big mistakewink now you can't go back to the Hurricane the Apache puzzledevil has got you in its power and theres no way back.

Is that fun building or what it looks great and as you mention on the screen 74" is small but on the building board its getting bigger and biggersurprise and bigger.

It looks great iam happy it fits just great must also admit that its not only my work its also Rob (RBCkits) who is a great craftsman with his CNC cutter.

Ton

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Mr. Rob, I am trying to be good and leave the Apache to one side while I get my Hurricane finished. I popped it all in an old kit box out of sight sad I know you want to see it come together and I can promise you so do I smile p But I have to be realistic crying 2

I did manage to pick up a set of Eflite 1.20 sized trike retracts for it though smile

I need to be careful with time and get my finger out on the hurricane, because Ton and I want to do a couple of 60" Cirrus Moth's this coming winter, so many models, so little time crook

Cheers

Danny

Hi Rob, yes those are the ones, the trike set at the bottom. On first inspection they look really nicely made. The smaller versions seem to have some plastic in their construction but this larger 1.20 sized set are virtually all metal and very nice. I will make some nice scale oleos on the lathe, If I can figure out how to disgust I have just been grazing the web, trying to buy some T6 alloy tube from which to machine them smile p

I am amazed that I have been able to ignore the Apache.... Thanks for reminding me.........

Scale floats for the Cirrus...... oooo theres a nice idea, not sure "Jason" would have had any but it would be fun all the same smile p

Cheers

Danny

Danny ,

Good on you to finish the Hurricane first must be difficult to leave the Apache as it is right now.

The E-flite retracts are great have them in my Tempest can't wait to do some more flying and play with the retracts during take off and landings. Looks like we have good weather next week so cool.

Rob,

You know me all to well so yes there will be a set of floats also and I think for Danny we won't tell "Jason" that its feet are wet.

And than again every one or thing would like to have a swim every now and thanwink.

Looks to me Danny is thinking already in that direction because look at the pic he posted in my seaplane meeting thread. Do I need to say more cheeky

Here is the thread ;

click here

Ton

Edited By Ton van Munsteren on 24/04/2012 19:09:40

Woh.. Just something about the shape and outline of this one.. should be on everyones build list.. but then again would not want to see three or four at the field... the video on floats is superb...

Now if I jjust win the lotto..... sea plane rate on a twin or laser cut kit of the model... I know, BOTH!

Excellent job, cant wait to see her with some clothes on ! blush

• 2 months later...

Hi Ton, the Apache is safely tucked away in a box, can't wait to get on to it, but I must finish this Hurricane first. I have been busy at work of late but hope to make serious inroads on the Hurricane next week. Its all in primer and not far from colour.

Don't let anybody see this shot wink 2

2012-06-20_160240_dsc_5299_medium.jpg

Great news about the new PC a drawing would be good

Are you stil thinking about the DH60 or do you have enough on your plate

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 29/06/2012 19:13:42

Edited By Danny Fenton on 29/06/2012 19:25:44

Danny,

That looks great you really are a craftsman on making those details , won't tell anyone so you can post some more pickies in here.

By the way great pics in your new scale column will read it this weekend.

Work on the Fiat is going slow but working on it , the BT Cessna has flown needs some more colour to finish but is a great plane.

Ton

Oooo yes the DH60 is still on my list but knowing you have to finish youre Hurricane and the Apache makes me think Iam in no hurry, will make a nice project for the drawingboard comming winter.

First I want to finish some other project for the magazine to send in and with the Corby set for publication next month Iam working on my 1mtr span Mustang and my two MicroWarbirds.

Ton

Edited By Ton van Munsteren on 29/06/2012 19:40:07

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hi guys, the Apache is still tucked away safe and sound. I am struggling to get my mojo back after the Nats and havent touched the Hurricane for a while. must get that done first then we will get cracking on the Apache.

Glad you guys are still interested, dont worry it WILL happen I am just a slow builder.

cheers

Danny