Spektrum? Futaba? Hitec? JR? or XXXXX for £63

Steve W-O

Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 21/12/2010 07:56:38:
Steve .. are those radios v1 or v2, in terms of the main board?   I'm really tempted, but it would have to be with the er9x software for me, and I understand that its easier to connect the programmer on the v2 boards.    (I'm not speaking about the module and receiver, I don't care about those as I'll stick with Frsky)

By the way, I note that the Ebay listing says its CE and RoHS compliant.

The ones with the single (fat red) receiver antenna are nearly always V2. I have two V1 boards and one V2, and the only difference is that on the V1, one wire has to be soldered on to a SM resistor, instead  of on to a pad on the board.

It is very easy as long as you can solder on modern PCs. I haven't bricked either of them yet (Despite windows 7s best attempts), but they can be rescued (another good reason to have a spare TX) with an external oscillator. As you probably know, it uses an Amtel CPU, which is very robust.

You need to get one that still has the 35Mhz antenna on it, not one with the 2.4 antenna on the top.

Advert

Posted by Rob Thomson on 21/12/2010 09:44:25:
My feeling on the matter is simply

"You pay for what you get"

I have ordered countless products from China in the past - some of it cheap - some not.   From my experience I have usually always been disapointed with the cheaper products.  They tend to promise the world, but fail to deliver.

The next question you have to ask yourself is 'backup support'.  When things go wrong - who do you go to for help?  All great if you have a local retailer - but often this is not the case.

All to often people say 'ripoff britain etc'.  The reality here is that this is not rip off britain.  It is a situation caused by the demand we brits have for a high standard of living. 

Consider how expensive it is to run a business?  How many products do you need to sell to cover just the corporation tax, payrol, council tax, rent, electricity etc...   and still you have not even drawn a wage for yourself?... oh... and you have a mortgage to pay and a wife and kids to feed?   This costs a lot, and the prices we pay in the UK are simply a reflection of this.   I dont see any 'well off' model shops or dealers.  I see rather a lot businesses who are simply trying there best to make the best of a bad situation.

I do agree - there are some areas in life where we are 'ripped off'. (complete wastage within the civil service comes to mind). But personally; I dont believe there are any RC model suppliers who are ripping off the clients

I would agree, some of the stuff coming out of China is rubbish, but they also make a lot, if not most, of the branded goods we buy (TVs, food mixers, vacuum cleaners, etc).

I don't see any evidence of being cheap rubbish in these, they are well made and feel good.

Backup is a good valid point, but I am not getting that from UK dealers anyway (the ones I have dealt with and had problems with)
Yesterday afternoon I sent an email to FlySky,  and had an answer in good English this morning.

I am aware of the costs of running a business, and also the way costs vary in far east countries with a very different economy to ours for businesses there, and I think it is a little more complex than just the limited environment around the business itself.

I did not say it was rip off Britain, but I have to wonder why it is cheaper to buy from America, where the model shop has similar challenges to those here, than it is to buy here with some items.

Maybe it is the importers/distributors that are taking more than their share of cake?
That is an aspect I don't know about, but as I do know the prices in the country of origin, and see the end prices here, somewhere there is a black hole sucking  lot of money in.

The model shops need a higher volume to survive or succeed, but as the importers/distributors have the combined volumes, I guess they are not going to change, until all the model shops are closed, and they realise they no longer have the volume they need to survive.

Something could be made better somewhere, which in the long run would be to everybody's good.

Posted by Chris Bott on 21/12/2010 10:10:18:
I would suggest that if you have to have spare transmitters in case something goes wrong then some of the economy is lost already. 

I have three, all working, at not time did I say I have to have a spare, just that it was nice while I was playing with the firmware, in case I made a mistake and bricked it, which would mean I wouldn't be able to get it going that day.  (notice MY MISTAKE, not it just going wrong)

Any way, I only have three, even if I have four it is still cheaper than one here of similar specs

Posted by Steve W-O on 21/12/2010 09:30:45:

Yes, it does have servo slow, and yes it does have all the mixes and differentials you could ever want, and much more. With the ER9X firmware, the mixes are unlimited, if you can imagine it, it can do it.

Can you assign any Rx output to any Tx function with this firmware?

Bert

Posted by Bert on 21/12/2010 10:55:06:

Yes, it does have servo slow, and yes it does have all the mixes and differentials you could ever want, and much more. With the ER9X firmware, the mixes are unlimited, if you can imagine it, it can do it.

Bert

Yes

If people think that the prices in the UK are 'Rip-off' prices then think again.  Here in France the prices for modelling supplies of all kinds are much higher than in Britain.  The same is true for Germany, which I have often visited.  So I stock up when I visit the UK couple of times a year and consider myself lucky to be able to do so.

Posted by Steve W-O on 21/12/2010 10:57:12:
Posted by Bert on 21/12/2010 10:55:06:

Bert

Yes

Sorry, what I meant was can you assign any Rx output to any Tx function by using the transmitter? - not programming it from a PC if you see what I mean.

On the ebay ad it says:- 

(3) RF Power: Less Than 20db

As far as my memory serves me, translated this means "less than 100 times more than something"

Doesn't really tell us much.. 

well the lack of flight modes is a big loss for me and the ability to have different differential for the ailerons and the flaps at the same time is also a prob but to be honest, i a would not trust the unit in an aircraft costing nearly a £1000, if you are happy that the unit does what you want and that if you have an incident tha CAA will not do you for having a non CE approved unit and you are also happy holding somthing that lets face it!! looks like crap, then that is up to you. meanwhile i will be happy using my JR 11Xzero of which i will only ever need one off and will serve me (if my X347 is anything to go by) for about 10 years, lets see where your TX is in 10 years  despite what people say about rip off britain (which is true sometimes) it is also true that sometime you get what you pay for

Posted by Lee Smalley on 21/12/2010 12:43:09:
well the lack of flight modes is a big loss for me and the ability to have different differential for the ailerons and the flaps at the same time is also a prob but to be honest, i a would not trust the unit in an aircraft costing nearly a £1000, if you are happy that the unit does what you want and that if you have an incident tha CAA will not do you for having a non CE approved unit and you are also happy holding somthing that lets face it!! looks like crap, then that is up to you. meanwhile i will be happy using my JR 11Xzero of which i will only ever need one off and will serve me (if my X347 is anything to go by) for about 10 years, lets see where your TX is in 10 years  despite what people say about rip off britain (which is true sometimes) it is also true that sometime you get what you pay for

The only thing there that has not been covered already is the looks.

So I had a look at your comparison. I wasn't certain if I was seeing something of Beyblades, or the front of a very smashed Citroen.

Looks are subjective, I think the Multiplex equipment looks terrible, others love it.

It looks fine to me, and the very last thing I am interested in is impressing others with its looks.

I see that the RRP of the JR is 699, that is ten times the price, for such a huge amount, I would certainly expect it to do more and be of better quality, if it wasn't, there would be a lot of upset buyers around.

Edit: Forgot to say, my son and I would find it hard to fly two planes together with only one TX

Edited By Steve W-O on 21/12/2010 13:12:38

I really like the open-ended nature of this radio, but I need to pluck up courage to firstly buy it as they only seem to be from fairly down market sources.   Then I need to do the mod to put the new firmware on.

By the way, what's the problem programming "different differential for ailerons and flaps"?

well by the time mine comes to be replaced then considering you are already on number three in 10 years time you should be on number 10 or so so you will have spent near enough the same price, looks are subjective but that tx looks like what it is ....cheap, look if the thing suits you thats fine, but i will stick to the reliability i have allways had with JR some of the aircraft i fly are very expensive so i stick to the reliability i have come to know and love from JR

I am not on number three because of any problems, but because I liked it so much I decided to get one for my son, then one to play with the new firmware.

I've had the first one now for 18 months, and it is still as good as new, and I have no doubt it will be fine for years.

I can't agree on the looks, I think it looks far better than the JR, which to me looks like it would come packaged with a park flyer. For me the strange curves and angles just don't look serious. But at the same time, I am glad you like it.

We all like different shapes of car, and I guess women too, what looks perfect to one, looks like trash to another.  Just the way humans are.

Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 21/12/2010 13:13:25:
I really like the open-ended nature of this radio, but I need to pluck up courage to firstly buy it as they only seem to be from fairly down market sources.   Then I need to do the mod to put the new firmware on.

Buying from Ebay is as about as safe as things get now, just don't let the dispute deadline pass without filing a dispute, and you really can't lose.

I already had a programmer, but they are less than £15, and if you have intests like mine, they will get used for other projects as well.

It really is a simple job, I back up my firmware, back up my model settings, then load the new firmware, and the whole process takes around 3 minutes.

Posted by Steve W-O on 21/12/2010 13:32:03: Buying from Ebay is as about as safe as things get now, just don't let the dispute deadline pass without filing a dispute, and you really can't lose.

I suppose its not Ebay in itself, its the lead time for overseas orders.  If I know its going to take 8 weeks then there's no incentive to get started right now, rather than deal with other projects.

Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 21/12/2010 14:55:52:
Posted by Steve W-O on 21/12/2010 13:32:03: Buying from Ebay is as about as safe as things get now, just don't let the dispute deadline pass without filing a dispute, and you really can't lose.

I suppose its not Ebay in itself, its the lead time for overseas orders.  If I know its going to take 8 weeks then there's no incentive to get started right now, rather than deal with other projects.

Mine have usually taken 3-4 weeks. Stuff that is sent now will arrive after the Christmas backlog has cleared, so there shouldn't be any big delay here.

I agree it is an issue, I think I have just got used to it now.

Posted by Steve W-O on 21/12/2010 10:13:26:
Posted by Rob Thomson on 21/12/2010 09:44:25:
My feeling on the matter is simply

"You pay for what you get"

I have ordered countless products from China in the past - some of it cheap - some not.   From my experience I have usually always been disapointed with the cheaper products.  They tend to promise the world, but fail to deliver.

The next question you have to ask yourself is 'backup support'.  When things go wrong - who do you go to for help?  All great if you have a local retailer - but often this is not the case.

All to often people say 'ripoff britain etc'.  The reality here is that this is not rip off britain.  It is a situation caused by the demand we brits have for a high standard of living. 

Consider how expensive it is to run a business?  How many products do you need to sell to cover just the corporation tax, payrol, council tax, rent, electricity etc...   and still you have not even drawn a wage for yourself?... oh... and you have a mortgage to pay and a wife and kids to feed?   This costs a lot, and the prices we pay in the UK are simply a reflection of this.   I dont see any 'well off' model shops or dealers.  I see rather a lot businesses who are simply trying there best to make the best of a bad situation.

I do agree - there are some areas in life where we are 'ripped off'. (complete wastage within the civil service comes to mind). But personally; I dont believe there are any RC model suppliers who are ripping off the clients

I would agree, some of the stuff coming out of China is rubbish, but they also make a lot, if not most, of the branded goods we buy (TVs, food mixers, vacuum cleaners, etc).

I don't see any evidence of being cheap rubbish in these, they are well made and feel good.

Backup is a good valid point, but I am not getting that from UK dealers anyway (the ones I have dealt with and had problems with)
Yesterday afternoon I sent an email to FlySky,  and had an answer in good English this morning.

I am aware of the costs of running a business, and also the way costs vary in far east countries with a very different economy to ours for businesses there, and I think it is a little more complex than just the limited environment around the business itself.

I did not say it was rip off Britain, but I have to wonder why it is cheaper to buy from America, where the model shop has similar challenges to those here, than it is to buy here with some items.

Maybe it is the importers/distributors that are taking more than their share of cake?
That is an aspect I don't know about, but as I do know the prices in the country of origin, and see the end prices here, somewhere there is a black hole sucking  lot of money in.

The model shops need a higher volume to survive or succeed, but as the importers/distributors have the combined volumes, I guess they are not going to change, until all the model shops are closed, and they realise they no longer have the volume they need to survive.

Something could be made better somewhere, which in the long run would be to everybody's good.

Hello,

Sorry - did not mean to imply you where the one who said 'ripoff britain'.  Just somethign I picked up on in the thread.

I agree that something has to change.  From my outlook (as a shop owner) the biggest issue is that there is not enough profit in the business to actually provide any degree of service.  Essentially if you are only making £5 out of every £100, how do you justify spending time helping people for free?

Of course - this just results in more people going direct!  So a loose loose situation.

Cant say I know what the answer is - if I did I would be a rich man

Rob

Rob you have our sympathy. I try to use my LMS as much as possible but they don't tend to stock what I need. This probably reflects on the stuff I use rather than their poor stock.

Next I try to use UK mail order suppliers. There seems to be two tiers of these, Those who offer exceptional service and then there's another lot who don't seem to have heard of the term customer service. I stick with the ones that give me a warm feeling. 

Finally there's overseas. At the moment I'm pretty disillusioned with our friends in Hong Kong. Due to lack of stock, variable postage times, customs charges and worst of all never being able to get the same thing twice..