Adverts Issues

James40

Advert

If you are using Mozilla, here is how to stop the animated GIFs:

1. Open a new tab in the browser.

2. In the address bar, type: about:config and enter.

3. You'll get the 'Here be dragons......' warning.

4. Promise to be careful.

5. In the search box at the top, type animation

6. One line, headed image.animation_mode will appear

7. Double-click on this line and type the word none in the text box, then 'OK'.

8. Close the tab and refresh the forum page - they should have magically stopped flashing!

The big advantage with this is that you don't have to hit the ESC key every pagethumbs up

No idea with IE - wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.....

Usual warnings - if you screw up your computer, it's nowt to do with me! teeth 2

Pete

Edited By Pete B on 27/12/2012 09:28:28

• 4 weeks later...

I use Firefox so I'm not sure if the problem is the same but it may be the 'compatability view' issue which causes it, David.

I've nicked this from an old post on the subject|:

Just in case anyone else has any issues with latest versions of internet explorer I solved this issue by highlighting the 'compatability view' icon on the top toolbar (looks like a rectangle with a zig zig line through it.

Hope this helps......thumbs up

Pete

David, what version of IE are you using? I've just blown the dust off a copy of IE9 that I almost never use, this thread seems to display ok using it. And that's without setting compatability mode on.

Text running under the adverts is usually down to a posting of a picture or embedded youtube video that's too wide.

Hi David,

I've just emulated you and those threads and your Messages page looked fine. So that makes it pretty conclusive that it something on your machine and the way its set up. I'm not a browser expert I'm afraid - Chris knows a lot more than me about that sort of stuff so I'll ask him to have a think about the issue for you.

BEB

Thanks BEB!

David it's very odd that you are seeing the issue on many threads. This might be one we have to pass on to the real tech guys.

Can you tell us which version of the internet explorer you are using (usually found in the "help" section under "about" and also the operating system, (is it windows and which version)

Chris

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/01/2013 22:00:44:

David, its almost certianly your browser settings. You say you are using IE, select "Tools" menu, then "compatability view"

That should sort it.

BEB

Thanks BEB, Ive just done what you have suggested in this post of yours and it has worked for me smiley

Many thanks Johnny

OK I've powered up my desktop. It's windows XP with service pack 3.

By some good fortune Internet Explorer on here is exactly the same version as Davids.

However so far no issues, either with or without compatibility view selected. (Which does take a little time to have effect, but it does get there)

I'll go have a look around the forum, and report back.

Chris thanks for taking the time to investigate. The page in question had text under the ads even though I was in CV mode. However, whilst on that page I switched CV off and on again and it sorted the problem.

However, in my PM inbox the text still runs under the ads whatever I do. So it seems a bit more than just the CV issue.

Sorry to be a pain.

David

I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas now then David. I'll pop an email to the techy people to see if they have any ideas and get back to you.

I do know that browsers have a cache (they store what you saw last time they loaded a page, and display that, to save downloading it again, if they think you want the same page again). So it's possible the badly formatted pages are being stored by the browser. Refreshing the page can sometimes fix this. I think this may be what happened when you switched CV off and on again.

I'll post here if I get any suggestions back.

Hi David.....

I was feeling a bit left out here so I've emulated you as well.....I have XP SP3 & the same version of IE as you & it all looked fine to me.......apart from your messages. Instead of using the link feature it seems your co-respondents have posted a full http address & this has dragged the text under the ads.

You might like to suggest to that nice Mr Moyles that he uses the link function when sending you a PM as he would in a post rather than typing a full http address....thumbs up