Sipa 200 (June 2015 RCM&E)

Stephen Jones

Hi ,

In Preparation for the June Issue of RCM&E in which my Sipa s-200 will be in .

I have done some work in the 3D modeling of my CAD Drawing of the S-200 to aid explain how it is put together .

Also i wanted to learn how to used CAD software for 3D modeling and seen this as a good excuses to learn some new skills .wink

I like to fly fast models and so built this one with that in mind , Don't be miss lead by the large bulbous body it is acronymic and aids the flow of air to feed the Prop .

I found it important to keep the Electronics cool as hi speed motors and high Amp draw will soon build up heat so make sure you vent it .

air duct 1.jpg

In the picture above you can see the bottom half of the body with the planking and belly pan left off to allow me explain how to make the battery holder and air vent in which you will house youre ESC so that Air will pass over the battery over the ESC and out through the hole in the bottom of the belly pan.

air duct 2.jpg

After the planking and belly pan has been glued in place you will need to remove part of the formers and lower Keel.

Steve

Advert

Continued ,

air dust 3.jpg

Now you can add the battery plate to which the battery will be strapped .

air duct 4.jpg

And over that the Air duct is fitted make sure you fit you're ESC on the inside of the Ducting and positioned at the top of the ducting and over the hole in the belly pan .

air duct 5.jpg

By building it this way i found it helps keeps it strong enough for those belly landings while keeping it cool as well .

Steve

You will notice that there is a bulk head that separates the front from the back F5 and F8b this is so you can allow air to be channeled from the air intakes to in front and behind the bulk head one to feed the battery compartment and the other to feed the motor .

Their are many pictures in my Sipa 200 album for you to look at and if any of you need anything explaining just ask and i will do my best to help .

Here is a View from the front .

front view.jpg

As you can see it has flat sides and bottom in keeping with the full size S-200 .

Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 10/05/2015 20:43:36

Cheers Linds ,

You do realize i was flying it slow for the cameras ,

I got so carried away with flying it i forgot to check my flight time and flew it for eight minuets and killed my battery blush.

Should of landed it three minuets earlier .

Steve.

Edited By Stephen Jones on 10/05/2015 23:16:10

Hi Mark ,

You are not wrong it has been mentioned before ,Many times in fact within this build log .
The description of this build log has now changed , As it then described this as a Build and Design log .
And if you read it from the beginning you may be interested too see how this one has gone through many design changes from a small 24 inch model to the final result you now see on the pages of the RCM&E .

Many old free flight favourite have been redesigned for for modern RC .
So i guess this is no different , If you love um why not revive them ,

In fact Someone has already enlarged that Jetx Model to a Ducted fan version and there is even a Large Jet powered Version .

Why not read through my log it may be of interest to you .

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve, what a fantastic build blog and plan. I am going to have a go at building this out of depron and coated in poly c, I love the tights method you used.

how much dihedral should I put in the wings as I am going to built the wings as a one piece wing and incorporate it into the top part of the fuselage ( well that's what I am going to attempt lol)

I will keep you updated on my progress I'm not a very fast builder though due to running my own business work gets in the way.

kind regards Roy M

Hi Stephen

I attended your Model club open day (public show just off the motorway near manchester) a few summers ago when I was just getting into the hobby and your little Sipa 200 captivated me! I first saw it on the ground and I also got to see you give the crowd a spirited performance in the air!

I came to chat to you and you had your son with you at the show, but you took the time to very kindly answer all of my (probably naïve) questions on the build and you let me take loads of pics of your model and I was very grateful. I have been studying the old Jetex plan that people have mentioned on here so imagine my joy when I saw your plan was to be published in RCME!!!

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts over the years since I first saw your model and have bought this months RCME for the plan. Congrats on getting the plan into production and a very big well done for your efforts for the benefit of fellow modellers!

i must confess that I am not a balsa basher as I usually make depron airliners (currently a 2m span 747) and also produce and sell profile pusher Depron jets so I am very excited about the latest post with the picture of your white Depron Sipa 200! As this is the route I want to go down with my build.

Do you have any more pics or details, build points etc that you could share with us please?

Questions like how did you make the tail booms solid enough not to wobble (carefully placed carbon rod?)

was it 3 or 6mm depron?

I would be very grateful for any help you could offer

Kind Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew , And Welcome to the Forum .

Yes i remember you smiley.

I take it that you are aka l33adm who left a very nice comment on my YouTube account . thumbs up cheers .

You can find more pictures of my Depron version here My Indoor Version .

Although i was just experimenting with Depron and so did not take many pictures .

I am a big fan of make it as cheep as possible and on my indoor models i use clear pvc plastic that you can find on most packing these days and use it as stiffener when folded with a curve it becomes very strong yet is light and most important FREE.

So to make the booms , build as per the plan using 2mm Depron sides , on the inside glue the PVC sheet and 5mm Depron infill on top of that leaving room for you're snake , fold the PVC sheet over that , then add the other 2mm Depron side on top of that , trim the PVC sheet then you can add a strip of 5mm Depron on the top edge to sand to shape .

Tail plane 2mm carbon rod leading edge and Trailing edge which will form the hinge support for the elevator .

Well in theory that is how i might go about it .

Steve.

Hi ,

I have had a quick look into how i might build this one out of Depron using the free plan .

And can see ways that will probably work for the boom and tail plane .

And if you guys are interested in doing this one from Depron then i may consider building one from Depron myself, and starting a new Build log .

So all those with experience in building with Depron and want to go down this route can add their input .

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

Sorry for the delay in replying. My newly created account had been suspended for some unknown reason so I couldn’t login! Yes I’m l33adm who posted on your youtube channel. Amazed you remembered me as I would have thought you have so many people bending your ear about your Sipa 200 model because it’s so interesting! Just shows what a good chap you are !wink

Thanks for the tips for the boom building method. I should have done a more thorough search for your posts and I would have seen the other pics for the indoor Sipa you made. It looks ace! I love the fact that it’s something that the major indoor model manufacturers haven’t produced, parkzone, ares, eflite etc…but we can use the magnificent mini electronics that come with these types of models.

What is the wing span please…I presumed 24 inch?

I’m planning to get the RCME plan copied and get it shrunk down to match your indoor Sipa and also blown up for a bigger model with retracts and possible EDF over time. I’m very fortunate to have a disused runway to fly from so I try and utilise this as much as possible in a model design so size isn’t really an issue either (although home storage is….lol!)

If I can make a Sipa the same size as your indoor version, would you be interested in selling a moulded canopy? As I know RCME plan service are going to be selling one for the variant in their magazine for the 36" span variant.. No worries if not, just thought I’d ask as I have no idea on how to go about doing this for now and a new baby to the household means hobby time is a limitaion to learning at the moment.

Looking forward to your new thread on a depron version Sipa 200…I’m already sold on the idea!

Kind Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew ,

My indoor version of the Sipa s-200 has a wing span of 26 inch .

My very 1st version was 24 inch wing span as at the time of researching the sipa the info gave info about the 1st prototype Sipa S-200.01 in feet , wing span 24 ft length 17 ft and so to start my model building i just converted feet into inches .

And as that flew promisingly well i got the plan enlarged at a printers as at the time i had no cad experience .

Over time i developed the design further as there where some issues with it , over several builds i introduced better flying capabilities along with more scale like features and cooling issues where resolved.

Over time i also got into cad and so converted my drawings into CAD .

And as the later Sipa S-200.07 with its wing span of 26 ft and camouflage scheme i felt i had better amend the design as depron is white it would suite that scheme better and in keeping with the scale of things i enlarged the wing span as it was now much easier to do in CAD and print out the parts on my home printer.

I also reduced the need for the rear wing spars as this one will not be put under all the same stress of the high speed 36 inch version .

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve, what a quirky and neat model. Looking at the plan it shows the booms skinned in Ply but the legend says balsa. Which do you recommend?

I have a great planes Synchro that has a 56mm EDF that may just work. The exhaust will be 50mm so not so scale but I can do retracts and the servos will also fit. So good bye Synchro, hello SIPA S.200. I plan to use the wing ducts plus a cheater hole in the fuselage for air.

Jack Higgins

Toronto.

Hi Papa ,

The the plane was four years in the making and a rush job at the last minute to get it in the mag before Graham left, so their are a few quirks so to speak of here and their .

The only ply parts in the whole build are the motor mount and wing brace.

With the motor at the back you do need to keep the back end as light as you can . So i used light balsa which has proved to be plenty strong enough over the years .

Their might not be much of a difference really

If you can build two , one out of balsa and one with ply sides as a test to see which is the lighter .

I hear that ducted fans are not as efficient as propellers .So you need to work out how much thrust you will get from you're ducted fan .

Depending on how light you're build is you are looking for at least 100 watts per Lbs not sure if this is true for ducted fans .

You will enjoy this one Keep us posted .

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi the wing Brace on my Depron build is 2/16th too high , i can only assume the error was made by the illustrator, thought that the wing braces are glued onto the sides of the wing spars .

Which on any normal build would ,but as these wings have to be set up from within the enclose space of the body.

They do not, they insert in between the spars and there webbing .

It is no big deal just check after you have built the wings that the brace will fit between them before you make them.

brace1.jpg

brace2.jpg

brace3.jpg

Don't forget that there is a 1/8th balsa that is sandwiched in between the two 1/16th ply .

Steve

Hi Stephen, I made the bottom fuselage half to begin sizing bits and pieces for the EDF conversion.

The fan fits nicely between F8b and F9b and gives an exhaust cone that fits the technical requirements almost spot on. It looks like it will fit on the motor line you used for the prop version. The wing ducts will be too small so I decided I would need "cheater holes" to allow more air in the fuselage.

I decided that I may as well use scale holes so I'm adding retractable landing gear and not closing off the wheel wells so the air can get in. That should open up plenty of extra air and I will make plastic scoops in the wing ducts so that that air is smooth coming in. The scale location looks to be between F5b and F6b.

because of the extra weight I need extra performance so I'm using a 4S battery. I originally wanted to load it through the nose cone but the nose wheel foils that so I'm going with two 2S wired in series and located low down on each side of the fuselage. This will leave the centre for the Rx and ESC.

The extra performance should be around 29 oz. of static thrust. So I think I will get away with it. I won't make the EDF a permanent fixture until I have it all working correctly.

Will post some pictures when I do a bit more carpentry.