Mass build idea

David Gilder

Chris.  
I will need to have a chat with BEB about that but I suspect that as it would have been their effective 1st choice, it will carry the same 5 points as everyones 1st choice.

Once BEB and I have spoken about this, I will pop a note on here to let everyone know.

Hope that calms your ranting thoughts for now!!

Dave

Advert

All calm here David, just like things to be ship shape. Looking forward to the result.
Happy here to go along with whatever is decided. It's just a bit of fun in a fun hobby after all). 

(Yes it would still have been their first choice but they may have put my first choice second, therefore giving it another three points).

Posted by David Gilder on 09/01/2011 12:55:04:

I have a running total with the correct scoring and it DOES make a difference to finishing places!!!!       

How does it make a difference to the finishing places?

It makes a difference to the figures, but the placings remain the same, there is no difference.

Sorry to have raised your blood pressure, i will leave you to play.

Steve...

It makes a difference because of the larger gaps between each positional score.

Gap of 2 points against a gap of 1 point. It means that scores change quicker and therefore positions will change quicker.

I have the "official" scorecard running and will be posting the winner as soon as voting closes....     (I doubt that the resulting winner will change either but have to wait and see

Dave

Posted by David Gilder on 09/01/2011 14:02:03:
Steve...

It makes a difference because of the larger gaps between each positional score.

Gap of 2 points against a gap of 1 point. It means that scores change quicker and therefore positions will change quicker.

I have the "official" scorecard running and will be posting the winner as soon as voting closes....     (I doubt that the resulting winner will change either but have to wait and see

Dave

I understand that it makes the gaps bigger, but it makes no difference to the positions I posted official or unofficial (I didn't see any official ones)

The running score card could easily have been posted, you were obviously interested enough in the running cores to create the official one, as I was when making the unofficial one, I imagine others would of been interested as well, although with so few votes it only takes a couple of minutes to work it out.

Steve.

Appologies. You are correct in that it does not change positions.

However your final positions do not tally with the "official scorecard".  I dont know why this is.. Maybe a vote has been missed or something, but I have had mine checked and doouble checked to be sure every vote has been counted.....

I will not be posting the final scores until the vote closes - that way, those that want it to remain a suprise wont be disheartened by seeing results so far, and more imprtantly - IT WILL NOT RISK INFLUENCING VOTING TO ENCOURAGE A PARTICULAR MODEL TO BE VOTED MORE!!     It must be the individual modellers OWN CHOICE!!

Not ranting or having a go at anyone....     Please just allow things to run....   Its all some fun at the end of the day and I have no intention of falling out over this with anyone!!

Posted by David Gilder on 09/01/2011 14:29:39:
Steve.

Appologies. You are correct in that it does not change positions.

However your final positions do not tally with the "official scorecard".  I dont know why this is.. Maybe a vote has been missed or something, but I have had mine checked and doouble checked to be sure every vote has been counted.....

I will not be posting the final scores until the vote closes - that way, those that want it to remain a suprise wont be disheartened by seeing results so far, and more imprtantly - IT WILL NOT RISK INFLUENCING VOTING TO ENCOURAGE A PARTICULAR MODEL TO BE VOTED MORE!!     It must be the individual modellers OWN CHOICE!!

Not ranting or having a go at anyone....     Please just allow things to run....   Its all some fun at the end of the day and I have no intention of falling out over this with anyone!!

David, I have not looked at the votes since I posted, which could well explain the difference.

OK, I will not look at the scoring any more

Sorry, when you said:-

I have a running total with the correct scoring and it DOES make a difference to finishing places!!!!       

rant over!!!

I thought you were having a rant, my apologies for misinterpreting it.

OK, there it only a 1 point difference between 2nd and 3rd on my spreadsheet, but your vote you gave two planes with an "or" between them, so I gave them both second choice ratings, as there was no 1st or 2nd indicated. Maybe if you rated your choices differently that could change that.

I also ignored the 4th choices.

But the no.1 is so far ahead, that isn't going to make any difference

When a voter put only 1 choice - it got 5 points.

2 choices (even with an "or" beteen them - first named = 5 points and second named = 3 points.

All 4th votes were ignored.  ( I could have given them a -1point!!!!!!!)

Hope that helps!!!!

Only 33 hrs to go!!!!

Edited By David Gilder on 09/01/2011 14:55:09

OK Folks - wow us modellers do get ourselves excited don't we

First of all - David's comment about "official" score stems from the fact that, as he was the original proposer, I asked him in a PM to be "official score keeper". Nothing to stop anyone else toting up the scores if they want to of course, but its David's posting tomorrow night which will be the "official" result. That result will stand unless of course there is a "material error" (read - "David adds them up wrong"!) and someone points this out to us.

I totally agree that the "official" score just not be posted until after the vote has closed. As I say folks can work it out as its not exactly a "secret ballot", but I'd prefer to avoid actively enabling "strategic voting"!

In the event of debate about the score or scoring rules etc. I will "arbitrate" and my arbitration will be final - being a mod has to have some perks!

The scoring "rules" will be:

1. We score 5,3,1 for first, second and third.

2. 4th preferences don't count and score zero.

3. If someone has only nominated 1 or 2 models then they just get those scores - presumably they are so opposed to the others that they didn't even want to give them a 3 or a 1 - fair enough I think, that's their chioce.

4. In the event someone has put two models equal placed - then the combined score for those two paces will be shared between the two planes. So, for example, if someone has two first choices then they will receive 4 marks each (i.e. 5 for first, plus 3 for second equals 8, shared between them means 4 each).

Any set of rules will have some problems - but the reality is that its going to be "swings and roundablouts" with a model benefiting from one rule as often as it might be disadvantaged by another. And its the same for all models.

OK? Its all just a bit of fun in the end! (Hopefully)

BEB

PS Apologies to Steve and David for mixing you up before - put it down to a "senior moment" - which are coming more frequently these days!

Ok everyone...

Today is the last day for the voting so please make sure you have voted.

I will be announcing the WINNER shortly after Midnight tonight.

I will then be announcing the dates for the planned build and will also be requesting that you add your name to a confirmed builders list so we know how many models the supliers will need to have available.  This list will probably be sent to them so when you order your kit, they can cross you off the list!!!!

so come on.....   VOTE!!!!!

Dave

I guess most people have voted now Dave.

I thought we were pretty relaxed about when the building will take place. If I'm tied down to a particular weekend I certainly won't be able to join in. 

So when will I be allowed to order a kit? This is all sounding very prescriptive.. 

Chris.

I agree that most people will now have voted but ned to keep the thread "live" to make sure as many people know about it as possible.

When I said "planned dates for build".....  These are "loose dates". It is not, as has been stated many times now, a set time.   The aim is to try and get as many people to be building at the same time. If you dont finish in the dates... NO BIGGIE !!!!    You just go at your own pace..   We would just like everyone to "start their build" around the same time... 

Reason for the list is simple.   Companies dont tend to have many kits for same model in stock so we would need to let them know how many are needed for all that will be building it for the Mass Build!  If there is any form of "discount" / "charity donation" from said company, this may depend on how many models we are going to have built for the Mass Build.
Also if (and only IF) they were to offer a discount for Mass Builders, they would need to know who to give this discount to!

Nothing sinister or prescriptive about it.....     Its all to help the supplier and the builders..

DONT PANIC MR MAINWARING!!!!

Hope that explains a little more....   

Hi Guys,

just to reassure everyone. Neither David nor I have the slightly intention of making this anything other than a fun, informal, activity with the absolute minmum of "rules" (if any!). Obviously some "organisation" is required if its not going to be chaos - but we are both very keen this should be; firstly, done with everyones agreement and secondly, even then very low key!

OK Just to clarify what going to happen:

1. At midnight I'll lock the voting thread. Just after midnight - David will open a new thread to announce the winning model and you'll all be able to debate the result and so on.

2. I will then open a another thread for (hopefully) a fairly brief discussion about exactly when and over what timescale we are going to do this. I hope this will not take too long as I think most of us are "of one mind" on this, and the guiding principle of the discussion has be "keeping it all as open to as many people as possible".

3. Once we agree the "when", only then will we start a "signing up thread". Now to be clear on this - signing up on this thread is not a "commitment" on anyones part - its merely a statement that you "intend" to take part. As David says, the only reason for this signing up thread is so we can give the manufacturer - whoever it is - some idea (and it can't be more than that) of how many people are likely to be looking for one of their kits in a couple of months time, so that they can make sure they have enough. I definitely do not think we should supply the manufacturer with names! People may sign up at this stage with good intentions and then something "crops up" and they can't do it for a perfectly legitimate reason. Similarly, others might come along at the last minute and want to take part. So I think just indicative numbers to the manaufacturer will be fine. Obviously you don't have to state your intention to take part on this signing up thread - its a free forum! - but it would be very helpful in aiding us judge the numbers. And if some folks would be happier remaining confidential, then they can PM me or David with their intention rather than publically declare them! But obviously don't do both as you may end up being double counted

As David and I have said several times this in not a competition - the idea is to just have a bit of fun together - so minimum "rules", minimum "procedures" are the watch words!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/01/2011 13:46:00

Wasn't sure which thread to post this on now, as there are a few slightly different "topic-ettes".

Webbies have kindly decided to donate £5 to charity for every Webbit sold, whether it be for this mass build or otherwise. Which I think will be great for the charity concerned.

The have a new page on the Steve Webb website about our mass build too

A decision.

If I build one, do I use the wood in the kit, or build one from scratch, and use the nicely cut wood in the kit to build a final one, after all the other little things are ironed out?

Normally it wouldn't be an option, but with the simplicity and small amount of wood required, it almost seems worthwhile, at least with the fuselage.

Posted by Steve W-O on 14/01/2011 17:06:44:
A decision.

If I build one, do I use the wood in the kit, or build one from scratch, and use the nicely cut wood in the kit to build a final one, after all the other little things are ironed out?

Normally it wouldn't be an option, but with the simplicity and small amount of wood required, it almost seems worthwhile, at least with the fuselage.
 Neither ... buy two! 

Plummet

Posted by Plummet on 14/01/2011 17:39:54:
Posted by Steve W-O on 14/01/2011 17:06:44:
A decision.

Neither ... buy two! 

Plummet

Unfortunately I have been ConDem'd to not having the cash for that luxury

I've invited Steve himself to the Funfly. Amongst other things, in his reply he said

"As you can tell I’m already fizzing like a pop bottle regard the WebBIT ‘event’ ( it’s another chapter in the humble WebBITS progress!)"
 He really does sound chuffed to bits that we chose the Webbit, and about how much it will help the Arthritis charity. 

Posted by Chris Bott on 14/01/2011 18:24:12:
I've invited Steve himself to the Funfly. Amongst other things, in his reply he said

"As you can tell I’m already fizzing like a pop bottle regard the WebBIT ‘event’ ( it’s another chapter in the humble WebBITS progress!)"
 He really does sound chuffed to bits that we chose the Webbit, and about how much it will help the Arthritis charity. 

I must say that his enthusiasm boosts my interest more than anything else, he obviously had a dream for the Webbit, and this seems to be adding to the success of that dream