Mass build idea

David Gilder

It was sugested during Stephen Griggs' Xmas day Build Blog, that maybe it would be an idea to do a MASS BUILD.

To put it simply,,,,,   Get as many of us to build the same aircraft (or a small selection) at the same time in just 1day!!!!

SO...

This thread is to see what everyone thinks of the idea and to ask for your suggestions.

Please remeber that thjis would be a build for as many aero modellers as possible so would need to be a "budget model" with perhaps a maximum engine size of a 40 2stroke  (as most people seem to have a spare one or one they would be happy to move from another model for the job!!)

So there we have it.....

Post away with your suggestions and thoughts.

Dave

Yeap, I'd be on board for that. As you say David - something not too expensive, easy to build etc. So everyone who want to can join in.

OK suggestions - I'll start the ball rolling with The Britflight Hustle. Flies well, electric model - so no IC unfortunately.

I'll try to think of something that could be ic/electric by choice - I think that would be better. What about the Renagade? Flies well on a 40 - could be easily made electric, about £70 I think.

BEB

Grand idea David

Just a few suggestions though.......

If we specified a trad build model (something simple) then we'd get some variation and innovation along the way. Would be difficult to have it in a day admittedly. The only trouble about having everyone build the same ARTF (or similar) is that you'd be horribly surprised how few kits of a certain subject there are about.

What about say a little cheapie electric model like the Nigel Hawes designed Smart Dart ...

....something people will have a bit of balsa for in their work box - budget motor and ESC and Li-Po etc.. Dead easy to make from a plan.

As I say, just a few thoughts, I'll go with the flow....

Yeap, like the ideas so far - a very simple trad build could work - I too was worried about whether we could source a substantial number of the same kit in time.

Talking of time I have a suggestion - what about making it not a day (a trad build, even a very simple one might be difficult in a day) but say from 19:00 Friday night to 23:59 Sunday - so its a mass build weekend. That weekend will be about the time of the longest day - so there's an angle there. It also gives everyones lots of notice. And its the weekend before the RCM&E fly in, so as Lee says we could have a mass fly of them at the fly in then as well.

So we need something like the Smart Dart but for electric or small glow that's basically made from sheet balsa - ideas?

BEB

Posted by David perry 1 on 26/12/2010 13:14:30:
Posted by Steve W-O on 26/12/2010 13:07:03:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/12/2010 12:24:12:

Tucano, plans already been published

The most boring looking  aeroplane ever designed and flown!

Could be, I don't have an opinion on that one way or the other, but the plans are all sheet.

there were plans by TN for a Hawk all sheet too. Better size.

I imagine one of the biggest problems will be choosing something that will attact a number of people.

Then how much can you deviate from plane? Can you change the size?  Can you add undercarriage? Can you add rudder if the plans didn't have one? Can you make it 30% larger than plane?

By the time all the questions have been answered, will there be so many rules it would put people off?

Nice idea though.

Steve, simple solution to that - have basically as few "rules" as possible - its supposed to be a bit of fun. So I suggest the minimum rule set is:

1. It must be built on the weekend in question.

2. It must be the basic design agreed - but if you want to; enlarge, add features etc. that's fine - as long as its recognisably the same design! Allowing a bit of leeway for individuality would be a good thing I think and add to the fun.

The driving force behind the idea must be to in-clude folks not ex-clude them! After all its not a competition - its just a bit of fun and something we can all do together!

RE the type - well no, we are not going to get something absolutely everyone is going to love. But that's not really the point is it? It might turn out to be something I'm not mad about - but I'll still do it and enjoy doing it just to be part of the fun! We are going to have to be prepared to compromise here!

If a clear candidate plane doesn't emerge - maybe we just appoint a "judge", maybe David or another respected and experienced forum member - to nominate one from an agreed shortlist?

BEB

BEB.  

I like the idea of these "basic rules".

But just to remind everyone that the choice of model has to be able to support either i/c or electric!!

Mr Ashby.     I very much like the idea of the Dart!!  looks like a great model but how suitable is it for different levels of experience? (is it suitable for a novice and expert alike?)

Dave.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/12/2010 13:54:37:
Steve, simple solution to that - have basically as few "rules" as possible - its supposed to be a bit of fun. So I suggest the minimum rule set is:

1. It must be built on the weekend in question.

2. It must be the basic design agreed - but if you want to; enlarge, add features etc. that's fine - as long as its recognisably the same design! Allowing a bit of leeway for individuality would be a good thing I think and add to the fun.

The driving force behind the idea must be to in-clude folks not ex-clude them! After all its not a competition - its just a bit of fun and something we can all do together!

RE the type - well no, we are not going to get something absolutely everyone is going to love. But that's not really the point is it? It might turn out to be something I'm not mad about - but I'll still do it and enjoy doing it just to be part of the fun! We are going to have to be prepared to compromise here!

If a clear candidate plane doesn't emerge - maybe we just appoint a "judge", maybe David or another respected and experienced forum member - to nominate one from an agreed shortlist?

BEB

That sounds good.

I think you are going to need the "judge", I think there is about as much chance of a clear candidate coming up as there is of winning the lotto, it the other thread for next years feature is anything to go by  

I think there will be less people making suggestions overall though, so hopefully I will be wrong.

Posted by David Gilder on 26/12/2010 14:05:28:
BEB.  

I like the idea of these "basic rules".

But just to remind everyone that the choice of model has to be able to support either i/c or electric!!

Mr Ashby.     I very much like the idea of the Dart!!  looks like a great model but how suitable is it for different levels of experience? (is it suitable for a novice and expert alike?)

Dave.

Dave

It's not a beginners model. Quite fast as I think I'm right in saying it was designed with cheap club pylon racing in mind. It was just a suggestion though. Something like Nigel's Fizza is better looking and more manageable to fly.

Electric would be the cheaper option for many and perhaps we could just say keep it to 150 watts and do what you like re the powertrain.

I know the mag hosts the site but no reason by I should judge unless that's what the majority want. Don't want to impose here.  

No as you say David doesn't have to be yourself - but it does need to be someone with a fair bit of experience of different types of models and a sensitivity for what a relative beginner can manage, both in terms of the build and the flying. And you fit the bill on those scores. As I keep saying its not a competition so maybe the term "judge" isn't quite right! Its a sort of "chairman" role - someone experienced, especially with smaller models. As an alternative maybe someone like Simon Chadwick or Malcolm Fisher would be interested - how about it guys?

One good side effect of this could be getting more people building off a plan for the first time?

Making it a couple of weeks before the fly in is no problem - as you say David it would give everyone a chance to debug their model a bit before the big day. A mass pre flight photo would be in order and then commit them to the air.

This could be a lot of fun - especially if we don't start taking it all too seriously
BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/12/2010 15:11:38

It's going to be quite  challenge to find just one suitable plane, let alone a choice!

150W max, suitable for all levels of flying skills, +- £70 and not boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder how many people could realistically have the time to build from plan, even if it was all sheet?
If it was going to be a partially built, how partially?

I think the actual choice is going to be valuable to lots of people, even if they did not take part.

David,  

The fizza looks good but does anyone do a lasercut parts set for it..   I feel that it may be quite offputting for some if it were a case of having to cut out each part for it..... and for many that might not be a possibility within the timeframe!!

Do we know anywhere that could make such lasercut parts at acceptable price for this attempt!!??

Also for some who are not able to work out electric requirements a suggested mid power motor setup might be a good idea!!

As for acting as Judge Dread!!     Maybe we should draw up a shortlist of models from all suggestions and then put it to a judges decision!!   (fizza fizza fizza fizza!!!!)

Steve, re your point on time...

I wonder, if there was enough folks signed up, if one of the laser cutting guys would be prepared to cut out a set of basic parts from balsa sheet? Would HobbyStore be prepared sell such a wood pack do you think David? This would seriously speed up the build. Could be good business for them - and good PR? Need not add much to the price - especially if there was a fair few takers. Obviously if you decide to resize the model - you're on your own.

For the powertrain - again as David says you can do as you like - but to encourage beginners we could prevail on Timbo to recommend a ESC, motor, prop, battery comnbination - not in anyway compulsary, just a tip for those that want to take it.

BEB

£10 yes but then people would have them for building a 2nd, 3rd or even a squadron of then for use!!!

and if the lasercut parts / woodpack (as not everyone has bins full of wood!!) was at a very reasonable price it would encopurage people to build more than 1!!!   I myself could be tempted to build 2!!!

BEB.    -   I know what your thinking~!!!!!!!!

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/12/2010 15:18:43:
Steve, re your point on time...

I wonder, if there was enough folks signed up, if one of the laser cutting guys would be prepared to cut out a set of basic parts from balsa sheet? Would HobbyStore be prepared sell such a wood pack do you think David? This would seriously speed up the build. Could be good business for them - and good PR? Need not add much to the price - especially if there was a fair few takers. Obviously if you decide to resize the model - you're on your own.

For the powertrain - again as David says you can do as you like - but to encourage beginners we could prevail on Timbo to recommend a ESC, motor, prop, battery comnbination - not in anyway compulsary, just a tip for those that want to take it.

BEB

I can investigate that and talk to the people in the plans dept to see if they'd do a special rate if folks want to build from an RCM&E plan.

Here's another idea though.........

How about we come up with a list of materials....say

a few sheets of this
a few bits of ply
a few lengths of strip
etc...

....and then say go build something from this....

See how many different designs come from the same pile of balsa/ply that everyone started with?

Sorry, must stop having thoughts