Mass build idea

David Gilder

The Fizza can be fairly easily converted to IC , an extension to the length of the nose helps the CG though :

I'd like to suggest either the TN Hawk or Vampire but I already have both. 

I've flown the vampires in formation and they looked great, very distinctive with the twin booms but I'd welcome a shot at the Hawks.

I'm not familair with the wasp, I will have to look into that one.

Ian

|As posted further up this page, the Fizza id no longer being produced so will have to look again. 

You have some lovely models there but we are looking for something that can be built cheaply and easily by most skill levels within 1 weekend!!  I doubt your models pictured would be suitable but still...  Very nice pics!!!

Dave

There are plans for a sheet built Hawk, with a prop in front.

I don't like the Wasp, it doesn't look like an aeroplane,  like to build things that look like they could be real.

Couple of questions, 1 if the Fizza is now a non-starter, then why not the Tucano? Very similar looking, and I know one person said it was ugly, but it does in ways look similar to the Fizza.

2, if laser cut parts are not available, why not let people do the cutting out before the build? Comes to the same thing, as do the trust levels.

Recently I was going through plans, articles and forums looking for something that had a wide range of flying abilities, for a wide range of pilot skills, and was easy to build, could easily be electric or IC, with no special parts needed, and   t h i s  is what I kept coming back to.

Morning all,I too have looked at building the Maricaardo,that is another good option,good thinking Steve.
Keep the ideas coming chaps 

I was referring to the Cloud Models Wasp E2K.

As it appears to be very basic, with a box fuselage and foam wing, I thought it would appeal to the people who may never have built anything.
Building the fuselage should take about an hour or so and the motor, whether it be electric or I.C. bolted straight on the front. (On a nylon mount in the case of  I.C.)
As an electric model it could also be painted rather than covered in film/tex.

After a few flights/fly-ins it could always be given to a needy club member such as a junior member who can fly but who is not as fortunate in the pocket money department.

I do like the wasp too,and like the idea of being able to get built up wings for it too,also if we made it we could get an RCME race club going too 

The wasp has lots of pluses - simple to biuld, cheap, can be electric or ic, etc. But it has one big minus, its err what's the word I'm looking for, err, I know....ugly!

(The smilies have stopped working for some reason! Imagine a winkie smilie after that last sentence - OK?)

Steve how is the wing on the Maricardo made? Is it foam or built up? A slight disadvantage to it is its quite big and may need a 4s electric set up (I dunno I'm not expert in that area - let's check out what it weighs.) But if it does that starting to get a bit pricey for the electric boys. I would think anything has to flyable with not more than a 3s 2200mAh to meet their needs - I think that's that anout a 30 in real money!

BEB

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 26/12/2010 06:32:03:
Grand idea David

Just a few suggestions though.......

If we specified a trad build model (something simple) then we'd get some variation and innovation along the way. Would be difficult to have it in a day admittedly. The only trouble about having everyone build the same ARTF (or similar) is that you'd be horribly surprised how few kits of a certain subject there are about.

What about say a little cheapie electric model like the Nigel Hawes designed Smart Dart ...

....something people will have a bit of balsa for in their work box - budget motor and ESC and Li-Po etc.. Dead easy to make from a plan.

As I say, just a few thoughts, I'll go with the flow....

Edited By twinstar on 27/12/2010 12:35:42

Hi Guys, I seem to have come a little late to this thread but would love to see a percentage of these at the Fun Fly, and photo's of everyone else's too.

I was wondering David, is there a plan coming up in the magazine over the next few months that would be suitable? That way all subscribers and regular magazine buyers would have a plan and everyone else would only need a trip to WH Smiths to get one. 

Or maybe include a Whizza (or whatever is chosen) plan to a 2011 mag. Unless the cost is prohibitive?

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/12/2010 12:27:03:
The wasp has lots of pluses - simple to biuld, cheap, can be electric or ic, etc. But it has one big minus, its err what's the word I'm looking for, err, I know....ugly!

(The smilies have stopped working for some reason! Imagine a winkie smilie after that last sentence - OK?)

Steve how is the wing on the Maricardo made? Is it foam or built up? A slight disadvantage to it is its quite big and may need a 4s electric set up (I dunno I'm not expert in that area - let's check out what it weighs.) But if it does that starting to get a bit pricey for the electric boys. I would think anything has to flyable with not more than a 3s 2200mAh to meet their needs - I think that's that anout a 30 in real money!

BEB

It's a built up wing.

It would fly on a 3s, but I think a 2200 would be pushing luck, unless it was a very high capacity one, and then not for long.

OK, if a 2200mAh battery is desired, and I would assume no an expensive one, so 15C or 20C, and to get a reasonable flight time, then the weight would need to be around 2 1/2  lbs with a wingspan around 48".

Probably with an option of dihedral or no dihedral to cater for different skill levels.

And quick and easy to build. 

Not asking much

Cheapies like the wasp are all very well, but if it just gets chucked in a pile after all this is over, then it will be far from cheap.  For me it needs to be something that I will use and fly for quite a while.

The eventual choice will be interesting.

Steve W-O

I agree with you that the wasp would be a "cheapish" model but we're trying to make it as financially available as possible to as many modellers as possible!!

There would be nothing to stop you from adjusting things slightly if you wished to make the model more aestetically pleasing.   ---  BEB!!!!!

and as previously mentioned, if you found you didnt fly it, you could always offer it to a young club member for them to use (they cant afford expensive models!!)

I think that it would be an ideal model for a hack or even as a streamer cutter!!!

Also if a few people at your club built them, you could use them for pylon racing!!!!!

So - Not expensive or very beautiful to look at, but certainly a good general all rounder for all levels of modelling!!   (and cheap replacement wing to boot!!!!)

Edited By David Gilder on 27/12/2010 14:35:55

Posted by David Gilder on 27/12/2010 14:34:08:

Also if a few people at your club built them, you could use them for pylon racing!!!!!

Is this a suitable plane for beginners to fly?The people it is meant to encourage a first time build?  I can't find the complete specs for it, but what I did see was a thin wing section, medium wing loading, and a video of of it going like a bat out of a....cave.

It also look very short, like it would fly like a dolphin with a beginner at the controls.

Are the complete details of it in any one place, I'm probably missing something in all the fragmented bits of info.

Posted by twinstar on 27/12/2010 12:34:40:
Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 26/12/2010 06:32:03:
Grand idea David

Just a few suggestions though.......

If we specified a trad build model (something simple) then we'd get some variation and innovation along the way. Would be difficult to have it in a day admittedly. The only trouble about having everyone build the same ARTF (or similar) is that you'd be horribly surprised how few kits of a certain subject there are about.

What about say a little cheapie electric model like the Nigel Hawes designed Smart Dart ...

....something people will have a bit of balsa for in their work box - budget motor and ESC and Li-Po etc.. Dead easy to make from a plan.

As I say, just a few thoughts, I'll go with the flow....

Edited By twinstar on 27/12/2010 12:35:42

Also called a Smart Dart.

Posted by Steve W-O on 27/12/2010 15:05:00

Is this a suitable plane for beginners to fly?The people it is meant to encourage a first time build?  I can't find the complete specs for it, but what I did see was a thin wing section, medium wing loading, and a video of of it going like a bat out of a....cave.

It also look very short, like it would fly like a dolphin with a beginner at the controls.

Are the complete details of it in any one place, I'm probably missing something in all the fragmented bits of info.

I think that it has the capacity to fly like a bullet if you want but should be docile enough for general flying (with some "get out of trouble power" in reserve!!)

it does have a proper sectioned wing unlike some other suggestions which were sheet wood wings!!!!

I have to be honest and say that I dont expect many persons to build who are still in the early stages of learning to fly so dont think the model of choice needs to be suitable for the complete novice learner!!   more aimed at solo club pilots and above. 

So to confirm - this is not a beginners model but should be suitable for most solo club pilots. (pilots of skill level A cert+)

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 27/12/2010 13:42:35:
Chris,cost,all those extra magazines sold ,the commision on the wooden kits David is probably in his workshop producing now scurrying around K-ching  K-ching, havent you noticed he is a bit quiet at the moment

I've been flying mate

Chris - nothing at the moment to be honest. I will double check. Re-producing older plans can be tricky as we're likely to get complaints from those who already have it.

What about a West Wings kit like the PINTO ? 36" span, nice little kit and should be easy to electrify.

I agree David - we wont find somnething that will be flyable by a complete novice and yet able to entertain the more accomplished. I think little or no dihedral is OK as the average flyer will be able to fly ailerons. One further plus point about the wasp it seems to have a very wide wing chord - so should be able to fly slowly and with enlarged control surfaces, increased throws and big more power might even prove very entertaining indeed - a la The Hype!

BEB

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 27/12/2010 15:56:00:
Posted by Stephen Grigg on 27/12/2010 13:42:35:
Chris,cost,all those extra magazines sold ,the commision on the wooden kits David is probably in his workshop producing now scurrying around K-ching  K-ching, havent you noticed he is a bit quiet at the moment

I've been flying mate

Chris - nothing at the moment to be honest. I will double check. Re-producing older plans can be tricky as we're likely to get complaints from those who already have it.

What about a West Wings kit like the PINTO ? 36" span, nice little kit and should be easy to electrify.

Now that is pretty!

BEB

Posted by David Gilder on 27/12/2010 15:35:39:. 

So to confirm - this is not a beginners model but should be suitable for most solo club pilots. (pilots of skill level A cert+)

OK, but I don't think there are many young club members like that to pass it on to if I don't use it.

What about a summary of the aims and priorities of the project and characteristics of the model, and any limitations/suggestions like battery size or motor power?  It seems to have developed quite a bit from the original mass build suggestion.

Maybe it would be easier to find or choose a model then.

Posted by Steve W-O on 27/12/2010 16:00:44:
What about a summary of the aims and priorities of the project and characteristics of the model, and any limitations/suggestions like battery size or motor power?  It seems to have developed quite a bit from the original mass build suggestion.

Fair point Steve: as I see it aims and objectives are:

1. It has to cheap - say under £50.

2. It has to be buildable between Friday 19:00 and Sunday 23:59. OK maybe not fully covered but air frame built and radio/power installed.

3. For the electric guys my guess is the most popular battery is the 3s 2200-2500mAh so it needs to be flyable on that. That would equate to about a 30 size ic model. So I guess its going to be 30-40" span in size approx.

4. Ideally it should be capable of both electric and ic power (not at the same time!)

5. It should be flyable, comfortably, by a "average" club pilot. So someone who is at "safe solo" standard. They are able to handle ailerons etc. but not necessarily something that is one big adrenalin rush!

6. It should offer the scope for more accomplished flyers to "hot it up" a bit - more power - larger throws etc.

7. Hardest of all - it needs to appeal to wide cross section of modellers!

I think thats about it - nothing too it really

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/12/2010 16:12:41:
Posted by Steve W-O on 27/12/2010 16:00:44:

Fair point Steve: as I see it aims and objectives are:

1. It has to cheap - say under £50.

2. It has to be buildable between Friday 19:00 and Sunday 23:59. OK maybe not fully covered but air frame built and radio/power installed.

3. For the electric guys my guess is the most popular battery is the 3s 2200-2500mAh so it needs to be flyable on that. That would equate to about a 30 size ic model. So I guess its going to be 30-40" span in size approx.

4. Ideally it should be capable of both electric and ic power (not at the same time!)

5. It should be flyable, comfortably, by a "average" club pilot. So someone who is at "safe solo" standard. They are able to handle ailerons etc. but not necessarily something that is one big adrenalin rush!

6. It should offer the scope for more accomplished flyers to "hot it up" a bit - more power - larger throws etc.

7. Hardest of all - it needs to appeal to wide cross section of modellers!

I think thats about it - nothing too it really

BEB

Thanks, to me that has moved the goal posts back to one position.