Mass build idea

David Gilder

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 26/12/2010 15:42:21:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/12/2010 15:18:43:
Steve, re your point on time...

I wonder, if there was enough folks signed up, if one of the laser cutting guys would be prepared to cut out a set of basic parts from balsa sheet? Would HobbyStore be prepared sell such a wood pack do you think David? This would seriously speed up the build. Could be good business for them - and good PR? Need not add much to the price - especially if there was a fair few takers. Obviously if you decide to resize the model - you're on your own.

For the powertrain - again as David says you can do as you like - but to encourage beginners we could prevail on Timbo to recommend a ESC, motor, prop, battery comnbination - not in anyway compulsary, just a tip for those that want to take it.

BEB

I can investigate that and talk to the people in the plans dept to see if they'd do a special rate if folks want to build from an RCM&E plan.

Here's another idea though.........

How about we come up with a list of materials....say

a few sheets of this
a few bits of ply
a few lengths of strip
etc...

....and then say go build something from this....

See how many different designs come from the same pile of balsa/ply that everyone started with?

Sorry, must stop having thoughts

I like this idea, but rather using broad specs to work from than materials. ie 40" span, max weight 4lbs, max motor 300W

Now that's a good idea David. Cheap plan - looks easy and quick to build. At 56" span a good size. No dihedral, so if the "more experienced" wanted to up the power a bit she'd probably be reasonably aerobatic. And as you say could be converted to electric fairly easily. A definite candidate.

BEB

I don`t have much cash to spare so the fizza looks really good,or Tims Gonzales may be a good idea,it can be made really cheep and  very quickly,or maybe a pylon racer type thing like this looks good too.

r6dan....

I really like the look of the Waspe2K...     and very cheap pricetag including foam veneered wing and laser cut parts!!!!!  

If timbo could suggest a suitable power plant for electric at good cost that would be a very good contender for the build.

Reminds me of the Spadstick!!!!!

Edited By David Gilder on 26/12/2010 19:12:20

There is an ic version too the wasp c2k,would be cheaper than the leccy one too. plus if it is decided to use a british made kit like what has been mentioned,we can call the manufactures and pre order everything,including a powerplant if needed and we should get a really good discount because of A,the order size and 2,the free advertising on here!!

Edited By r6dan on 26/12/2010 19:22:07

Posted by r6dan on 26/12/2010 19:16:40:
There is an ic version too the wasp c2k,would be cheaper than the leccy one too.

The electric kit retails at £39.99 and the i/c kit at £43.45. both +£7 p+p

Timbo would no doubt suggest a power supply for electric for around £30-40 so just wondered how the i/c would be cheaper!!??

Posted by Eric Bray on 26/12/2010 18:43:30:
I have no wish to throw a spanner into the works and wreck a good idea - BUT - has anyone considered the cost of fuel for getting TO the fly-in!!??
This (distance) will be the major stumbling block for most people, as no matter where the event is held, numbers attending will be limited by transport costs.

Hi Eric,

going to the RCM&E fly in is not an essential part of being involved in this. The main emphasis is on the mass build weekend. The fly in is an add-on for those that want to do that. So it should be possible to cater for all tastes/pockets. After all, let's face it, a fly-in is not everybody's "cup of tea", some might be working and others, as you point out, might find it a prohibitive expense. But everyone who can afford a plan and some balsa can partake in the fun of building a model alongside lots of others!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/12/2010 19:24:26

BEB.      Just had a detailed look at the Fizza build and i feel this has now become my favourite!!!   

£35......   Well within most peoples budgets!!

Also powertrain should cost no more than £35 approx!!

I think we need to get an article into the mag soonest to furtheer make people aware of this as not everyone will have internet access.
Maybe David can oblige with this.

I have recently E-Mailed Nigel Hawes asking if the 'Fizza' and 'Whizza' kits were still being produced. This was the reply I received  :-

I'm afraid due to a change in personal circumstances I can no longer produce these kits.
Unfortunately I can't access the website to change it - sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.
However plans, canopies and CNC-cut motor mounting discs are all still available from the various suppliers!
Best wishes,
Nigel Hawes.

Roger Bird