WOT4 XL ARTF chat

Assembling mine at the moment, and a couple of points to note:

1. The SIG spinner was all deformed as tho' it was placed in front of a heat gun. Only place for it is the bin.

2. More importantly the distance given from firewall to face of engine prop driver is given as 155mm. I measured it all up and drilled the engine mount to suit. Then came to fit the cowl, which will be around 20mm to short!!!
The distannce should read around 128mm not 155mm!

I will be calling Ripmax on Monday to advise them of error. (and ask for a new engine mount and spinner).

These problems aside, the build has been non eventful with everything going together well. I'm using an OS120AX for plenty power!

I will post a note once flown.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted by Ian Forrest on 15/01/2011 18:26:00:
Assembling mine at the moment, and a couple of points to note:

1. The SIG spinner was all deformed as tho' it was placed in front of a heat gun. Only place for it is the bin.

2. More importantly the distance given from firewall to face of engine prop driver is given as 155mm. I measured it all up and drilled the engine mount to suit. Then came to fit the cowl, which will be around 20mm to short!!!
The distannce should read around 128mm not 155mm!

I will be calling Ripmax on Monday to advise them of error. (and ask for a new engine mount and spinner).

These problems aside, the build has been non eventful with everything going together well. I'm using an OS120AX for plenty power!

I will post a note once flown.

Ian,
did you get a response from Ripmax? I've just put an XL together and found the same problems along with the short fin tab mentioned in Paul Adams' thread. My spinner expoded while running up the ASP120FS in the back garden, and it went at no more than 8400 revs. The ASP takes up 135mm with the carb within a mm or two of the bulkhead, luckily I'd seen these threads warning about the instructions so I went with that and ended up with about 3mm clearance on the spinner.
As for fitting the elevator pushrod - what a nightmare! In the end I cut holes through the covering to give me access to guide the pushrod ends through the slots
Other than those points it is a lot of model for the money and appears to be quite well made, though I would have liked to see more reinforcement between the engine bulkhead and the fuselage sides.
Now I just want a half-decent day to maiden it.

Incidentaly, you can now get this green monster delivered for under £155!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 16/05/2011 14:30:22

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

G'day.....Does anyone know the spinner size for the Wot4 XL. I have one on the way to me in Spain and will be fitting an alloy spinner straight away. (If I can get the size).

For info. I am fitting a DLe 20cc with Pitts exhaust. (hopefully....if it fits). Any advice or experience would be appreciated. (I have read Pauls account with his CCRC 26 and cannister exhaust.)

I would also be keen to know the measurement for the base of the undercarrige. I have a personal dislike of alloy u/c´s and always now fit fibreglass. (On the last 4 models anyway).

Thanks in anticipation.......

Tony Dalrymple

• 2 months later...

I've had the Xl for a while - got a OS 110alpha in it.

Did use a metal spinner, as the plastic one's quite naff and rough-looking. Suppose it was like the Acro Wot spinner, which I gave to Inwood-to put in their bin, whilst they compared size for a replacement alloy one. Nice!

Pic of it flying at Wrexham MAC do,,,

Wot4 XL OS 110a

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Yesterday at my local club I got to fly the wot 4 xl, it was really good such a good plan, so now thinking about getting one just wondering what everyone thinks of them as I have only had seagulls arising star,

easy o build?

any help would be great

thanks

Edited By ryan iuiggu on 19/08/2013 06:44:46

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 19/08/2013 07:32:34