Charity Mass Build - Chat Thread

What is this problem with pink ? When I was finishing my Skyrider, the first model of my reincarnation some three years ago, I asked my LMS for pink and purple Solarfilm. He was sorry that he had no purple in stock as it was rather expensive. I think it would have been a metallic or fluorescent. Gorgeous !! So, it was deep blue. However, he was very pleased to unload some pink at a ridiculously cheap price just to get rid of it.

Back in my youth ??? I often used pink on my control liners. It looks great with black and other deep colours. Tissue, silk or nylon with dope in those days and Pauline, my wife would get me fine nylon from her fabric shops much cheaper than from LMS's. She would also buy up discontinued runs of nail varnish that I would use for trimming colours. It is virtually identical to coloured dope. Perhaps I should add that among my other strong interests I am a fairly useful amateur artist.

Anyway when I go to the LMS in a few days time, I have decided to see if he has any 'unpopular' colours that I can buy cheaply and go from there.

Alan.

Advert

Pink?

Can't say any more, don't know how to and keep it PC.

But seriously, I think it looks terrible, probably on a par with pale green.

I think it is quite hard to chose a colour scheme that looks good on the small scale of a model, looking at commercial ones, there are some that stand out as being smart, where others just look like colour blobs. It's a skill I don't have, so I have to spend ages looking at pictures. I know what I like, but not how to create the look.

I will probably use white and blue, because it's what i have most of Maybe with some contrasting "go faster stripes"

Thanks for uploading those Dave!

The Pink Pig WebBIT

Dave Lucas aka Froggy and long term helper/friend of SWM – was the chap that put the current instructions together (just for the love it) and also test built a new WebBIT kit that was cut by Belair ( before we started selling them again) – As you can see his WebBIT was a bit of a pig. It flew really well though!
I couldn’t find any of the pink Piggy WebBIT flying other than that one shot above! There are more somewhere! I hope the pics are of interest.

I am sure I should have some flying shots somewhere, If I find them I’ll let you know.

Motor - Thanks Tim

Tim thanks for the feedback, I spoke to Adrian very briefly earlier today and he said quite a hot motor also! I think I’ll rethink it as if I do build an E.P WebBIT I’d like a mix of power/endurance and I have a bucket full for 2200 3 S cells. I don’t fancy changing from that sort of size of pack.

Good to meet you too

Thats me for tonight

Night

Steve

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 02/02/2011 21:11:36

Steve, you may want to rethink your text methods too mate - copying and pasting from another document, with odd fonts doesnt work too well as you can see
No big deal this time, but sometimes it can have a very weird effect on the page and become unreadable - if you do paste from a word document etc, then use the little button on the posting box marked with the MS word symbol ( third from the right ) .

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the advice RE the motors and MS posting on the forum. I hadnt realised the problem with Word, I'd been copying it over to note pad and pasting from there. I didnt realise there was an MS Word button. I do now. I find I cant see the monitor as well now a days, so often write in a document and past across.

Hi Richard - The WebBIT looks silly as a piggy, but did raise a few laughs. Froggy is still on 35mhz and completed the WebBIT Porker with a curly arial tube as a 'tail' before the 'tail'.

I had often thought of a WebBIT with a sharky face ( to obvious?). Then recently while in Hobby Craft in Chester I saw they do large round eye's for stuffed toys. These are flat with adhesive on one side the 'eye' wobbles' around in the plastic eye. |I was thinking with some movement they might wobble about to great effect!

Hi Alan

I think there maybe a rush on pale green if folks build Kermit WebBITS with frog faces. A sort of Froggit WebBIT.

Have Fun!

Steve

Posted by Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 03/02/2011 11:19:25:

Hi Alan

I think there maybe a rush on pale green if folks build Kermit WebBITS with frog faces. A sort of Froggit WebBIT.

Have Fun!

Steve

So, we have a Kermit WebBIT and a Miss Piggy WebBIT. Who's up for the Animal WebBIT, or Sweedish Chief WebBIT?

BEB

Hey Timbo!!

Welcome back to the world.. Hope we have you back for good now!!!

Looking forward to the PSSA 1st meeting where I shall be maidening my T45 Hawk!!!

Do you think my Webbit setup will be ok?
Emax BL2220/07 motor, 40A ESC, 2200mAh 3s1p Lipo, swinging a 10x5 or 10 x4.7 prop?

Unfortunately I dont own a Watt Meter so wont be able to check the loading!!

Cheers.

Dave

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/02/2011 15:02:34:
So, we have a Kermit WebBIT and a Miss Piggy WebBIT. Who's up for the Animal WebBIT, or Sweedish Chief WebBIT?

BEB

Danny suggested this but I'm stealing it. He suggested a "Battle of Britain" colour scheme.

Then we'd have a BOBbit

Posted by Geoff Smith 1 on 03/02/2011 15:32:16:
How about a arachnid theme, then we could have a Spider Webbitt.

Ok, I tried.

Geoff

Been done, but badly. My first Webbit is all black, but with a white speckled cobweb silhouette on the upper wing.

Of course you are free to do a good job of it.

Plummet

Oh yes, I forgot about the spider on the other one. I don't think I'll have a go at that Plummet, with my shaky hands Lord knows what it would turn out like. Cheers my friends

Geoff

Posted by David Gilder on 03/02/2011 15:26:17:
Hey Timbo!!

Welcome back to the world.. Hope we have you back for good now!!!

Looking forward to the PSSA 1st meeting where I shall be maidening my T45 Hawk!!!

Do you think my Webbit setup will be ok?
Emax BL2220/07 motor, 40A ESC, 2200mAh 3s1p Lipo, swinging a 10x5 or 10 x4.7 prop?

Unfortunately I dont own a Watt Meter so wont be able to check the loading!!

Cheers.

Dave

Should be fine - its rated for 30A and the 10 X 5 should be fine. If your not planning any major changes to the motor layout, it gets plenty of cooling stuck out there.

Hi Guys,

My Webbit is started, though much time has been spent on thinking things out. I am not a fast builder these days anyway.

As I am building mine for electric and have all the gubbins I shall push F1 forward a little so that I shall mount the motor directly on that bulkhead and for my own peace of mind it will be of 1/4" ply. As will be the u/c platform. Then I have to work out where to place the Lipo and ESC. The positions are fairly obvious but I need easy access to the Lipo. And cooling needs to be considered. Perhaps I will just use the wing mount opening. I think I will go with rubber bands anyway.

Now, may I ask for advice. What do you recommend for pushrods ? I am using Hitec HS81 servos. I usually use Sullivan snakes but they will want supporting, thereby adding a little more weight to the rear. So, I am thinking wood pushrods with wire ends. And, should they be, say, 1/4" square balsa or dowel ?

Finally talking of weight to the rear. I am using 35 mg and on my other (larger) leccy models, I mount my Rx as far away from the motor and ESC as I can get it, believing that this is a very good idea. Comments, please.

Cheers for now .Alan.

Hi Alan

I think I'll be using a 1/4 sq balsa pushrod for elevator if I already have a piece hard enough not to bend too much. Or possibly a piece of dowell. Either will have wire ends bound on with cotton and glued. The end of the wire will have a right angle bent in it which will fit in a hole in the wood for security.

The Rudder will probably have a closed loop made of kevlar fishing line. I've used this successfully before using short wires at either end. The wire at one end has a loop and a Z bend. The wire at the other end has a loop and a thread for an adjustable clevis.

Yes, with 35Mhz it is best to get the Rx away from the motor and ESC. But not at the expense of C/G obviously.

Hi Alan,

I thought I was going to be the one who couldn't stand the excitement and start building first, must admit I've been tempted. I've built another dipstick for the SC15 just to get building again and I'm glad I did, the covering is rubbish but I'm happy with the airframe. I'm using 35meg as well with a Futaba 138 dual conversion RX, no problems on my other models.

As for push rods, Tony on Saffron Lane does some clear plastic tubes so I've had 6 from him yesterday and am using 18 SWG wire and the clear plastic outer for elevator and closed loop like Chris has done for rudder. I can try out the systems on the dipstick. I've used HS81's on that as well. If you want to do push rods, I use the threaded end of bicycle spokes on 1/4 dowel and Kavan clevises or ball links. I grove out the last 1/2 inch of the dowel then superglue and heat shrink the dowel ends to the spokes.

Membership form and cheque went off yesterday to Colin.

Remember guys if you really must (for personal reasons - not impatience!) start before 1st April then please keep it to yourself - otherwise it will simply destroy the whole concept of a mass build - it will end up being spread over too long a time period to have any focus.

Thanks

BEB