Charity Mass Build - Chat Thread

Advert

I don't have a plan BEB - like I said, this one is Peter Kent's prototype - I also have the prototype MAF Mini Flying Machine, still in the fleet, now electric - and had the prototype Searching 400 (now sadly gone) - but no plans for any of them.
I'll probably end up getting a kit, a bit nearer the time, just to support the effort.

I might well do that Dave - it's a good idea. The way that the new kit is put together it might be possible to splice a new front end on the old fuselage, using that jigsaw puzzle keyed joint, and to maintain that as a surviving prototype for old times sake.
One for me and one for my boy - though he really doesn't like to fly the Webbit as he finds here to be set up very twitchy and tail heavy for his tastes.
They'd both have to be electric though, I don't do any IC these days.

Phil, SMC do the Eflite ultra stick here. And any hangar 9 dealer will do the other Ultra-sticks I guess.

Well the Mass Build continues to gather momentum. Soon we may have to rename it the "International Charity Mass Build" - with Tony (from South Africa) and Chris (from Malta) on board!

BEB

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

I’m sorry I have not been back for a little while. I have been reading the posts as I’ve been getting email notifications of them. It’s all very exciting.

There are a couple of things I’d like to point out, that may help builders.

His ‘Nibs’

When Belair cut the WebBIT he left a tag on the ribs – two reasons – 1) it held the rib in the sheet until the ribs are pop'd out and 2) It's the correct height for the Rib to be packed too ( but always check and check again!) .The height the ribs should be packed to when building the wing ( if that makes sense). This is because of the symmetrical nature of the wing section, the wing is lifted up so that it is build true and straight. It's harder to explain than do!

The ‘nibs’ often fall off, please do not panic if they have fallen off, you will have to take them of anyway and the wing still can be packed up on balsa as it would have been in the original WebBIT kit. There were no nibs on the old band sawn kit version.

The point about the ‘nibs’ came up as I understand the SWM staff had robbed a couple of sheets of ribs to replace ribs that the ‘nibs’ has come off, customers posted back the ‘nib less ribs’ – Its an easy mistake to make if they haven’t built before and testament to the SWM staff keeping customers happy no matter what, by sending new ribs with nibs.

Of course the SWM staff involved in sending out the replacement rib parts have never build a WebBIT either or maybe they could have explained better about the ‘nibs’.

If ever in doubt about anything, please give SWM a call – we’d prefer to sort out any problems than have them fester.

Nice to see Leccy here on the RCM&E site, I can provide the parts to draw around if needed (for a donation of a fiver for the charity) or of course a WebBIT kit could make life easier in the long run. The cutting and wood is far superior than it ever was.

To keep to ‘vintage’ WebBIT specs I know a couple of people that have used the Lite Ply 2 pc fuselage to produce a balsa fuselage. The Lite Ply is an excellent template.

Hope that’s of help

Steve
Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 24/01/2011 00:11:23

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 24/01/2011 00:12:29

Next –

I spotted Sara Thompson – (Bunn) was on the boards. I have known Sara for a long time and her Father taught me to fly RC properly! Back in the 80’s.

Strangely enough while SWM were clearing out some boxes an old video tape has been found and I’m currently trying to get the tape footage on to the PC, I’ve got a clip of Tom Bunn flying ( Sara’s dad) and myself flying – two of our old dear late friend Ron Lloyd models. It’s been quite emotional to watch it. If it can be loaded up to youtube I will load it and post a link for Sara.

Next -

Short Kit -

I’m not sure if all builders are aware – The WebBIT is a short kit and features a plan that could be used to build an entire WebBIT even if you didn’t have the cut parts. The kit comes with all the essential shaped parts – you need Strip and Sheet Balsa. I know there are lots of mentions the model is a short kit on this forum, but not everyone reads all the posts.

If putting an order through on the Net, you could always ask for the extra wood in the special instructions at the check out and the staff would pick that up or you can phone the order though and speak to a member of staff, the price is the same on the net, on the phone or in store.

Lastly Alpha Bob and another good customer Phil W have both donated £5 to the fund. Neither of them can commit to building a WebBIT and so they donated anyway.

I was wondering if anyone else doesn’t want to build, but would like to donate? Would it help to give a Pay Pal for direct donations? Or is that a little cheeky?
More another time, thats me for now. It's almost Monday

Steve

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 24/01/2011 07:47:35

''Phil, SMC do the Eflite ultra stick here. And any hangar 9 dealer will do the other Ultra-sticks I guess.
Well the Mass Build continues to gather momentum. Soon we may have to rename it the "International Charity Mass Build" - with Tony (from South Africa) and Chris (from Malta) on board!
BEB''

Hi BEB,

Regard Phils post - after many years of deciphering questions in random letters and emails? Maybe Phil meant 'stick' as in balsa stick and might have been refering to the WebBIT as I have heard balsa kist refered to as 'models made from sticks' or 'stick model'.

In which case a WebBIT is available from SWM.

Or he could indeed mean 'Ultra Stick', 'Big Stick' etc etc.

Just a thought and now this really is me... over and out

Regards

Steve

Thanks David,

Got your PM - Understood.

Will you be joining in the fun building a WebBIT for the fly in? I know your Brother is upto his neck in SE5A build ( the excellent DB Models design), so he's probably out of the equation. It's very exciting to see all this fuss about the WebBIT. It was quite unexpected this late in life!

Steve

Hi Steve,

you could well be right - the written word is very definately an imperfect means of communication! But reading Phil's post, and knowing that the Stick was one of the other candidate models for the Mass Build - finishing second I think - I assumed Phil had decided he'd like a go at one! Only Phil knows the definitive answer to this one!

BEB

Posted by Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 24/01/2011 13:07:46:
Thanks David,

Got your PM - Understood.

Will you be joining in the fun building a WebBIT for the fly in? I know your Brother is upto his neck in SE5A build ( the excellent DB Models design), so he's probably out of the equation. It's very exciting to see all this fuss about the WebBIT. It was quite unexpected this late in life!

Steve

Workbench looks a little too commited at the moment Steve but we'll certainly be a the fly-in and look forward to seeing everyone of course. Last year's meet was a definate highlight for us.

Hi BEB,

Silly me I didnt spot that, it would make sense! I'd only just seen what the other models were. I wasnt able to get on the forum when the Mass build started. Having looked, it looks a super model, I can see why he'd be interested.

Word Problems.

What would amuse many folk is some of the emails that I get at SWM - There is a MP with the same name 'Steve Webb' and so I get a few mails a week to him. These are voters that find the SWM website and then mail me asking if I can open a 'Super Market' or a 'New Bridge' or what ever and my opinions on various 'Wind Farms' or 'Nuclear Power' etc . I've had a lot of hate mail about charging students!

Its quite baffling. Ann at SWM usually contacts the sender and advises them of thier electronic mail mistake. It also happens the other way around. Imagine how baffling the MP finds it when asked about an engine or gets sent a kit review or what ever.

Have a good week

Steve

No worries David, I thought i'd ask. I am going to try and get to the Fly In myself. It depends on health stuff at the time, but if I'm fit enough to be there, I will be. Fingers crossed for the weather. I expect Nigel Hawes will be there with his review WebBIT. I tried to get him to part with that but he wont!   He said its his favorite stress relief at the moment and it was a 'keeper'

Have a good week and happy landings

Steve

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 24/01/2011 13:41:17

Hi Sara or should that be Lady Sara?,

It’s a little off topic – I hope this is O.K?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNMkG-m-_Ps

Your dad and a very young me!

Flair Taube – and a plan built SE5A – It was Map or ASP and so expect its one of the My Hobbystore plans now. It’s a similar size to the Flair Se 5A, but I remember it was rather different to fly. I’m flyingt he plan build SE 5 a, which was of course build by the late Ron Lloyd as was the Taube.
Ron had quite forthright views about the WebBIT, I may go into more detail another time. Lets just say he didn’t like the looks of it. The video was only rediscovered in the last few days! Something turns up with Ron's hand writing every year and since he's been gone a very long time now it always suprises me! He's not forgotten for sure.

Anyway –

It was along time before the WebBIT – the WebBIT wasn’t even a twinkle in my eye at that point. There’s a older member of the Miniature Aircraft Factory flying team that might be joining in with the WebBIT build. It was Peter Kent that did all the hard work regard design of the WebBIT. He followed a specification I set out and some drawings, but it was designed by Peter for SWM.

Forumites mite remember the MAF for the E Machine, Mini Flying Machine, Searching 400 and many more. The MAF kits (with the exception of anything WebBIT was passed onto a company called 5 Star, who still trade today and I’m sure some members will know from advertising etc.

There I sneaked in a little more WebBIT history so not to be off topic completely!
I'm of the pc now, so its safe to come back on the forum everyone

More another time.

Regards

Steve

Just to let you all know. SWM seem to have the WebBIT supply issue well in hand. They have about 12 or so in stock at present and Steve has Belair on stand by to cut some more if needed. So if you're thinking of joining the Charity Mass Build we have plenty of "room" for more chums!

BEB

I will have to hang on until the last min to get mine, with only just getting a job I suppose I better pay some bills off before buying toys

Hello Steve, Thanks for the video on youtube.

The Helper with Tom Bunn was me Lady Sarah aged 19...
I feel really old now...(.I'll be 41 in April)...

Thank you for putting it on youtube...I'll show my dad next time i see him...

Hope to catch up with you soon at the shop.
Take care. Lady Sarah.

Posted by Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 24/01/2011 19:47:00:

Hi Sara or should that be Lady Sara?,

It’s a little off topic – I hope this is O.K?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNMkG-m-_Ps

Your dad and a very young me!

Flair Taube – and a plan built SE5A – It was Map or ASP and so expect its one of the My Hobbystore plans now. It’s a similar size to the Flair Se 5A, but I remember it was rather different to fly. I’m flyingt he plan build SE 5 a, which was of course build by the late Ron Lloyd as was the Taube.
Ron had quite forthright views about the WebBIT, I may go into more detail another time. Lets just say he didn’t like the looks of it. The video was only rediscovered in the last few days! Something turns up with Ron's hand writing every year and since he's been gone a very long time now it always suprises me! He's not forgotten for sure.

What a great video, pity all model videos weren't like that. Could see the planes, finished with a landing, and probably best of all, you could hear what was going on, no ridiculous music!

Just shows that having a state of the art camcorder doesn't make the video good. Nor does aspiring to be an overnight Bollywood director by using every effect and transition the software is capable of.

Really captured the atmosphere of the field.

If anyone needs to bring this up at a club meeting I've made a simple flyer from David A's words about this project, looks like this:-

It can be downloaded from Charity Mass Build flyer

Edited By Chris Bott on 25/01/2011 19:44:45

Not working here either Chris. BTW is the flyer finished 'cos after Greenacres it says "which takes  place over??

Edited By Geoff Smith 1 on 25/01/2011 19:41:20

Edited By Geoff Smith 1 on 25/01/2011 19:42:16