Charity Mass Build - Chat Thread

Hi Chris,

I will do my best to come and see all the WebBITS in the air at the flyin. The photo opportunity!

Re the container. Mmmm yes... Thats Froggy who built the prototype, he likes his grape juice and it does explain why the prototype Belair Laser cut version ( we had to build it to re write a retro style instruction book.). It does explain why Froggys model turned out to be a pink finish and in the style of a pig!

See pic

Maybe that 'container' had something to do with that!

It was covered in pink Toughlon - 2 mtr roll did the whole model, because Toughlon is wider than other covering.

Steve

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 17/01/2011 12:09:33

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/01/2011 14:01:15

Hi BEB,

Thanks for being a catalyst regard all this!

Regards the health I often get asked and now a days it's not like when I was first ill. I was worried regard 'confidence' in SWM with me not being there (behind the counter) back in 2000 - But as the team have prooved they do better without me!

I'm still involved and everything. I get frustrated I cant do more in the 'physical' realm any more, but this years started off very good and I'm optimistic the light at the end of my (health) tunnel has been swicthed back on.

Of course you guys having a mass build of the WebBIT certianly help with the 'positive!' Its good for the recovery. My Docs have told me 'this' is about as good as I get, but I'm still aiming for recovery! It took 15 years the 1st time around. This time I'm at 11 years ill. There's chance yet. Although the 'damage' done by the RA is probably goingt to stay done!

I'm over the moon that the WebBIT was chosen. TBH when I got Belair to make the first 15 kits I had no idea if it would sell, hence the lower volume. Since then we've briught the price down, made more and its selling quite regularly. I'm Nigel Hawes and his EP version has helped that.

Thanks once again.

Steve

Hi Dave D,

Nice to see the Telemaster back on the market in the U.K. Before SWM I built one for a young lad who was in outr club and later finished another beginners kit for him. I can remember some nice flying sessions with that Telemaster.

I expect we'll see some I.C ones. My preference would be for I.C, but if I do make another i'd probably go E.P as Nigel Hawes said it was excellent and better than his original IC version and i've never done an E.P WebBIT before.

In the long term it might be good to get a Electric Wood package cut for the kit. Maybe to chuck in the kit if it wasnt to expensive. Its an idea.

Steve

Hi John,

I've known Sara since she was a young girl out flying with her dad Tom ( back at Marbury Park, Barnton, Northwhich). I was sorry to hear she was unwell with RA. It's a condition that effects so many in one form or another. It's a painful and depressing condition, but with the event of drugs like Enbrell - TNF therapy there's very real hope that the disease can be controlled if caught early enough. I'm sure if I had TNF when I first took ill again i'd be O.k now. I'm on the drug now, but the damage is done. At least I should be stable now.

Years ago I gave here a Free Flight Caprice. I often wonder if she or here dad still has it. It was built back in the 70's tissue and dope and all that! That just popped into my head. Memories eh?

SC 25 - too big. There was a chap who put a  Irvine 20 in his years ago. I thought it was far too quick and twicthy for me  OS 15 FP's , Enya SS 15 if you want more power in a 15 size can, there's lots of others. Thunder Tiger did an 18 that was in a 15 size can - that might be interesting.

Although at SWM we'd love to sell everyone a new engine i should point out that with the popularity of E.P power in this size of model eBay is littered with 15 size bargains. It seems to me that the 15 zie engine has suffered in popularity with the coming of age of Electric.

I shall pass on your regard to old RibStock Webb! Thanks for the kind words, say Hi to Sara.

Steve

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 17/01/2011 12:44:25

OK Steve, my smallest throttled engine is an Irvine 21, a converted car racing engine which goes like hell so I suppose I'll electrify my WebBit along with all the rest though an unthrottled TBR PAW 19 could be quite interesting!

I hope to call in and see you later in the week to pick up the kit, providing I get paid. If not it'll be next week. Will phone first.

New self-employed position, few problems with getting my wages but should be sorted soon.

Andy.
This should answer that question!!!

The event would start on Friday 1st April (how appropriate!) and finish on Sunday 15th May 2011. This means it would last 6 weeks. We feel this is a reasonable time, and is a compromise between one month and two months. It also includes two Bank Holidays, Easter and May Day - so gives an opportunity to those who need that time.

If, due to personal circumstances, you can't fit in that period - DON'T WORRY! You wont be excluded!

If you really need to start your Webbit before 1st April that's OK. But we will ask you one thing - if you want to make a build blog (and we hope you will) please don't post it until the main event - i.e. after 1st April. This is to ensure that no one "steals the event's thunder" as it were!

Similarly, if you can't finish your Webbit by 15th May - DON'T WORRY You wont be alone and of course the build blogs can run on for as long as you want and I'm sure we'll be encouraging you along!

So, there you have our proposal. We feel it gives the event a focal period while at the same time making the maximum possible allowances to individual circumstances.

Dave

Hi,

things seem to be going well. Now all you chaps you have already bought your WebBits, please (unless personal circumstances dictate otherwise) try and keep you mitts off them until 1st Apil!

If you really do have to start early - then don't tell us anything about it until then. Otherwise it wont be a mass build will it! The idea is to all be "at it" at about the same time - ie between the 1st April and 15th May.

BEB

PS - I'm hoping to pick mine up next month - then I'm going to hide it so I wont be tempted!

I am thinking!!!!    Dangerous thing.... Look what happened last time I did that!! lol

Might try and convince SWMBO to get me a 2nd webbit for my birthday so I can do 1 Electric and 1 I/C.      Will need a bigger hangar (bedroom) for them if I do!!!

So just in case - now to source a nice 15 engine!!

Just a thought ( I must stop this!!)

As we still need to find out what extra wood is required to complete the build, maybe someone who has already bought their Webbit could have a look at the paperwork as I believe that it states on there the extra wood requirements!!!!

I wait with baited breath!!!!

Dave

Posted by David Gilder on 18/01/2011 00:01:59:
Just a thought ( I must stop this!!)

As we still need to find out what extra wood is required to complete the build, maybe someone who has already bought their Webbit could have a look at the paperwork as I believe that it states on there the extra wood requirements!!!!

I wait with baited breath!!!!

Dave

Yes, that is a good idea.

Has anyone got theirs yet? It must be a week ago that some people ordered, but I haven't noticed anyone say it has arrived yet.

Posted by David Gilder on 18/01/2011 05:00:11:
What are you doing up at this unearthly hour steve???

I have an excuse!!!  Its called work!! been here since 2100hrs yesterday!!

Just arrived at work about 10 minutes ago.

I usually get up around 4am, by the time I've showered, made breakfast, made my lunch, made the babies bottle, fed the baby if the wife doesn't wake up, checked emails, put the bins out, taken the push chair out of the car, written cheques for the schools etc etc etc the morning has gone and it is time to leave for work

As mentioned before at boring  length, I am not going to participate in the mass build, 'cos I already have two of them, and I am just finishing off the leccie one now.

It hasn't flown yet, but I have just assembled the whole beastie, bound the RX, and made a draught for the first time.  

I have fitted a brushless setup from BRC Hobbies.  It came as a bundle with an ESC.  The motor is marked

A2217-8T,  and it suggests:

ESC: 20A
Batt 2-3S Lipo
Prop 8x4

As mentioned earlier (bla bla bla) I have had to lighten the tail end considerably - some lightening holes in the tailplane and fin, and a lot of sanding.  I have used z-bends to connect the snakes to the controls at the rear to save a bit of weight, and I have covered it with as little overlap as possible - again, to save a bit of weight.  I have covered it in Lightex  (from Webbies)

Now, with a 2200mAh 3cell Lipo installed as close to the firewall as possible, it just about balances on the main spar as recommended.  I might need a a tiny bit of lead (for my cowardice), but not much.

It certainly feels to have plenty of oomph.  Perhaps not vertical, but enough for me I should think.

Hope this helps.

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 18/01/2011 12:34:18

Edited By Plummet on 18/01/2011 12:36:12

Edited By Plummet on 18/01/2011 12:37:04

Hiya all. This will be my first build for about 20yrs and I need help. I have not got any tools/ building board (not a problem) etc; Can some of you lads list me the stuff I will need? I will go the leccie way for power and as this is all new to me I would also like some info as to what motor/esc/lippo I would need to give me a sedate Webbitt and not a cruise missile. Cheers my friends.
Geoff

PS I have signed up BTW.

G

PPS I will bring it to Greenacres but will not fly it (No A cert, yet) If there is a kindly soul there who would like to risk it I would be grateful. 

Edited By Geoff Smith 1 on 18/01/2011 12:54:57

Welcome Geoff.
Great to have you onboard.

If you keep a watch on this thread, I hasve no doubt that someone will suggest a suitable setup for a sedate model!!!      If in any doubt though, I guess you could always speak to the wonderful people at S.W.M. when you get your kit and they will no doubt be able to advise!!!!

Do you think that you will be able to join us at the Greenacres Fly In?

Dave

and you just answered that question with your edit!!! lol

Edited By David Gilder on 18/01/2011 12:56:33