Charity Mass Build - Chat Thread

Advert

Hi y'all, got me Webbit today, just a couple of 'Q's i didnt see in this thread......

what size servos you using? I have some 9g's around (going leccy)
how are you fixing said servos to wing and fuse?
how are you fixing a leccy motor to the motor mount?

Hope these 'Q's arent against the rules n regs. Not sure if i am going to be able to do 1st April start date due to work........if not i will still do a build blog of sorts.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Hi Mark.

I'll be using 12g servos. I have some Corona DS-939MG servos already so will be pressing those into use.

I will probably fix either two hardwood rails or a ply servo plate across the fus, either would be supported on small lengths of balsa glued along the fus side.

I'm not decided about the wings yet, I may still use torque rods and fix the servo or maybe two servos in the wing centre. Or add an extra rib a suitable distance from an existing one to support a small servo plate in each wing.

Hi Chris,

cheers for the answers....just found the pdf from the Nigel Hawes build and taking a squint at that i got the servo idea sorted......looking at the leccy motor, seems he has just screwed it directly to the firewall, so i guess thats the answer to that.....
You got me thinking about 2 servos for the ailerons, will have to route around and see if i have anymore.

Thanks again Chris

If the motor needs to be further forward than the firewall (and has a usual cross type mount) just push some long bolts through from behind the firewall and put nuts on to secure them. Put a second lot of nuts on where you want the motor, add the motor and a third set of nuts to hold it on.

Hi Mark,

just to clarify for the benefit of anyone else who is wondering...no of course its not against any rules to ask for as much help and advice as you want.

In fact one of things I'm keen about, is seeing this event used by folks to try something new for them in a really supportive environment. Either a first electric powered build, or even a first ic model by an electric only flyer (don't laugh, you never know!) Maybe a first traditional build. So folks are positively encouraged to ask questions.

If you take a look at the "rules" on the background thread here under the heading "Mass Build Timeframe" you can see that you'd have to work awfully hard to break the "rules" they are so few, relaxed and informal!

BEB

Hi BeB,

well this will be my 2 and 1/2 tradional build kit, have a jamara bonanza awaiting covering and started Van RV3 from the 'mag'. Been about 30 years since i built one from 'scratch' and got too 'lazy; with ARTFs in the past 4 years, so i thought i would 'stress' der brain cell/s and get more satisfaction from a trad build.

Mark

Hi again,

Finalised my order with SWM on Friday morning when they rang to tell me that motors had arrived. Parcel arrived Monday late afternoon. Great service. Thanks guys (at SWM). For those who are / were interested, the motor is a Fusion brushless o/r 3535/05 1500 kv. ESC is Ectronics 30amp, and I also chose four Hitec hs81 mini servos on their advice. I will have a servo in each wing half. I have studied the plan cursorily and plan to fit larger wheels as we fly off grass (but pretty well mown) and I am thinking of built up stab and fin to save weight at rear.

I only need to buy the aileron stock and some covering material, so, sorry guys, I shall starting the build this week.

Finally, will take the plan to my favourite repro place when I am heading that way and get another enlarged by 33% to give me a 53 inch span version for my OS 30. Now, to clear the building table.

Cheers. Alan.

Posted by Alan Dorrell on 26/01/2011 10:48:13:
Hi again,

Finalised my order with SWM on Friday morning when they rang to tell me that motors had arrived. Parcel arrived Monday late afternoon. Great service. Thanks guys (at SWM). For those who are / were interested, the motor is a Fusion brushless o/r 3535/05 1500 kv. ESC is Ectronics 30amp,

Hi Alan, I would suggest that 1500KV is a little on the high side. (dons tin hat!) It will work fine, but I expect you will have to stick to an 8x6 or 9x6 prop. I would be sure to measure the motor current to make sure it's not overloaded.

Personally I prefer a bigger prop turning a bit slower for efficiency, so I'm going for something like a 1000 - 1200 kv motor.

Posted by Chris Bott on 26/01/2011 16:09:43:
Posted by Alan Dorrell on 26/01/2011 10:48:13:
Hi again,

Finalised my order with SWM on Friday morning when they rang to tell me that motors had arrived. Parcel arrived Monday late afternoon. Great service. Thanks guys (at SWM). For those who are / were interested, the motor is a Fusion brushless o/r 3535/05 1500 kv. ESC is Ectronics 30amp,

Hi Alan, I would suggest that 1500KV is a little on the high side. (dons tin hat!) It will work fine, but I expect you will have to stick to an 8x6 or 9x6 prop. I would be sure to measure the motor current to make sure it's not overloaded.

Personally I prefer a bigger prop turning a bit slower for efficiency, so I'm going for something like a 1000 - 1200 kv motor.
Agreed completely

In fact it will be quite difficult to get a good match, 9X5 would probably be closest, 9X6 too much for the motor

Edited By Steve W-O on 26/01/2011 16:25:11

Posted by Chris Bott on 25/01/2011 22:05:59:
If the motor needs to be further forward than the firewall (and has a usual cross type mount) just push some long bolts through from behind the firewall and put nuts on to secure them. Put a second lot of nuts on where you want the motor, add the motor and a third set of nuts to hold it on.
Hi Chris.

Try Maplins they do a set of long (25mm) plastic stand off pillars taped to 3mm and some 30mm x 3mm bolts. Ideal for standing motor mounts off the fire wall and can be easily cut to length as required. Total cost for about 5 motor mounts £5 shimples . makes mounting the ESC in the drought easy as well.

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 26/01/2011 18:19:37

I like the complete "adjustability" that bolts or threaded rod give me for down or side thrust. Or even just the distance out from the firewall.

Here an extra ply plate is used to give us a unit to bolt direct to the firewall.

(click to get the right shaped photo).

Yes there's plenty of ways to do this and all are correct.

I've used M4 studding up to well over 1KW. Once all 4 are locked up tight it really is very rigid.

I believe the setup has saved one motor shaft too when it acted as a crumple zone, but that's a different story

This studding handled well over 2 kw and when the YT Hurricane tip stalled in following a radio problem the motor was saved as Chris says by the studding deforming. Absolutely rigid otherwise. I use nylocs directly behind the motor so that they cannot turn innadvertently and alter your carefully set up thrust lines.

Each to there own, you must do what you are comfortable with. There is no right nor wrong way to do this.

Cheers
Danny

OK peeps...

Just to keep numbers updated -----

We now have 30 people signed up to the build!!

I think that BEB would agree that this is amazing in its own right, well done all,

but

there is always room for more!!

I would encourage you all to download the "flyer" on page 10 of this thread by Chris Bott and take it to your club meetings / flying field to make everyone is aware of the build!!

Wouldn't it be fantastic to see 50+ people building the Webbit for charity!!!

Dave + BEB

Well the flyer worked for me. That and I said a few words at Greenacres club night.

8 more Webbits have been signed up for at club night, most of those have paid the Chairman who will be placing the order.

I've posted this on the signing up thread too, because I'm not sure everyone understood what I meant by registering on here. Hopefully any that do sign up will mention in the same post that they are one of this 8 just to keep numbers straight.

We will be taking flyers to flying sessions and I'll do the chat again at club night in a month.
Reg the chairman isn't sure whether to order 8 now and more later or whether to wait a month.

Great news though. Who can beat 8 ?

Great news just in from Chris..

He has another 8 people at his club who have committed to building a Webbit!!!

Well done Chris for encouraging them!!

That brings us upto 38 Webbits being built!!

That magic 50 is looking very likely!!! just think.. That would be £250 to the charity already!!!!

Dave