Charity Mass Build - Chat Thread

I would suggest that one way to build it straight would be to assemble the two sides as above, then to fit two formers and the tank tray to one side, making sure they are square, then with that flat on the board, glue the other side onto the formers and tank tray, using squares to make sure the two sides are exactly aligned.

Fit the other formers and cross pieces as far back as the trailing edge of the wing.

Then draw a line on the board, jig the front of the fuselage (weights, clamps ot whatever is avaialble) so that the line runs exactly down the centre of the fuselage, then glue the tail end of the fuselage together, making sure it is centred above the line you have drawn.

Double check nothing has moved before gluing

Advert

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 21/03/2011 09:21:44:
No Problem Steve - could have been better in the "WebBit Wisdom" thread which is were we are trying to collect all this sort of stuff together

BEB

Copied and pasted both my posts there, please edit if it needs it to make sense

Hi Guys,

My Webbit is almost ready for covering. But what I want to do is balance the few criticisms some of you have made about the kit. Mine has been virtually perfect, although I found the tabs on the ribs soon broke, so I removed them and used packing instead. Dead easy with a 36 " flat wing.

Tara for now. Alan.

Posted by Alan Dorrell on 21/03/2011 11:30:22:

Hi Guys,

My Webbit is almost ready for covering. But what I want to do is balance the few criticisms some of you have made about the kit. Mine has been virtually perfect, although I found the tabs on the ribs soon broke, so I removed them and used packing instead. Dead easy with a 36 " flat wing.

Tara for now. Alan.

It wasnt a case of being critical, just a case of stating what was so that the newer builders could be aware and check if they found the same thing.

Bit unfair to say it is a critisism that needs balancing!!!

How little power does the Webbit need?

Today I thought to measure the power drawn by my leccie Webbit. I connected up my in-line wattmeter thingy, and at full throttle, it was only drawing about 75 watts.

The motor is nominally 200W, so I know that I can fit a bigger prop to it. (I had fitted a (9"x4,7" that I had lying around.)

But, I wondered if 75 watts was enough to fly it.

The answer is yes.

This afternoon I managed to take off with this motor and prop. This was followed by an immediate power-off, stall, and return to earth, as the playing field where I was playing is no good for flying - dammit - it is just behind our house. It is a roughish short muddy grass, but quite lumpy.

I hope to have a proper maiden flight in the next day or two.

I know that the power drawn by an static aircraft at full throttle is not the same as when it is moving through the air. We say that the prop unloads in the air. How does this effect the power drawn?

Can any of you, perhaps someone who can monitor or record in-flight performance, give me an idea of how much power my motor/prop would be drawing in the air or at take off.

Plummet

How much does your Webbit weigh Plummet?

I'm certainly no expert with electric flight but I believe that the conventional wisdom suggests that if you have 50 watts per lb, a model will just about stagger into the air. At 75 watts per lb the model will fly well enough. At 100 watts per lb the model will have a sprightly performance and beyond 100 watts you get even better performance.

"Power-off stall and immediate return to earth?" Why did the motor cut? Is your C of G correct? My own i/c powered, much customised Webbit weighs in at 3 lbs so I'd be surprised if 75 watts would fly it.

I have finished building and covering my model and only need to instal the radio. I hope to maiden it later in the week.

Happy Landings

Dave Davis
Webbiteer 15

(I'm the 15th builder on the list that BEB posted a week or two back.)

Edited By David Davis Telemaster Sales UK on 22/03/2011 05:49:35

Posted by David Davis Telemaster Sales UK on 22/03/2011 05:48:12:
How much does your Webbit weigh Plummet?

<snip/>
"Power-off stall and immediate return to earth?" Why did the motor cut? Is your C of G correct? My own i/c powered, much customised Webbit weighs in at 3 lbs so I'd be surprised if 75 watts would fly it.

I have finished building and covering my model and only need to instal the radio. I hope to maiden it later in the week.
<snip/>

Dave Davis
Webbiteer 15

(I'm the 15th builder on the list that BEB posted a week or two back.)

Edited By David Davis Telemaster Sales UK on 22/03/2011 05:49:35

Hello,

It weighs about 1kg all up.

My Power-off, stall... was deliberate. If I had allowed it to gain too much height and speed I would have had problems doing a landing. The field is too small and surrounded by trees, and my skills are still more limited.

I had bought and mostly built my Webbits before the Charity build had been thought of. I am waiting eagerly for April 1st for the build proper to start.

Plummet

Hi Plummet,
Do you own shares of a lead mine?
For me the reason to use one of the bigger engines was to avoid having a tailheavy model.
So I looked into the different threads which were growing like mushrooms and followed Timbos suggestion for a 350W+ peak engine.

A2814-6 40A 1410Kv SP Brushless Outrunner Motor (giant cod)

Dimension:35x36mm
Weight:100g / 3.66 oz
Motor shaft:4mm
KV:1410 RPM Efficiency:_80%
Working voltage: Ni-MH (7-10 cells) Li-Poly(2-3 cells)
Working current:15-25A
Recommended prop: 9.5x5 Li-Poly(11.1V)
Application:1000-1900g airplanes
I run it with a 10x6 prop and it lifts much more than the weight of the model. I don't want to demonstrate prop hanging - for this the control surfaces ar rather small and the flying skills of Mr. Vecchio are not sufficient
But I like to have some power reserve in critical situations.

Eeven with this engine in front and a 2200mAh 30C 3cell battery as far in front as possible I had to add some 80g of lead strips to get it balanced. OK I use 2 servos in the wings - but what can this add? they are 9g servos with some additional 3 g for the servo fixing and hatch and they are positioned not far from the COG.

So in my opinion you need to add a lot of weight in the front or you have to cut out some sections in the tail region.
As you did already fly it - how much lead (or whatever heavy stuff) did you have to add?

Webiteer 37 to follow David's logic...
Have a look at Vecchios Webbit

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 22/03/2011 07:51:09

Vecchio,

No lead. I lightened the tail end in order to get the balance. I have also added some balsawork up-front to prettyfy the nose.

It balances on the rear-edge of the main wing spar. I have not fitted a tailwheel, just a small ply skeg. Yesterday I did notice that the rudder was fouling the ground, so I will have to add a skid. I may add a little nose lead in due course.

Plummet

Posted by David Gilder on 22/03/2011 10:28:25:
V.A.

Not wishing to kill your clear enthusiasm but can I please ask you to refrain from posting pictures of you Webbit till April.

By seeing these pics, other builders will see what you have done prior to the build!! We are trying to avoid this!!

Cheers
Dave

Oh dear, I saws them, does that mean I will have to be eliminated?

Maybe another thread for those who have finished, with a warning that tnhose still to build are not allowed to look

Steve,

I dont really think a new thread is required..... After all

Theres only 9 days till the build starts and I dont think many people have finished so wouldnt have many picsin it!!

Once the Build starts we will create a thread for people to post pics of their finished Webbits!!

And of course your not eliminated!! (It would mean both of us would be!!)

Dave

Posted by David Gilder on 22/03/2011 10:56:48:
Steve,

I dont really think a new thread is required..... After all

Theres only 9 days till the build starts and I dont think many people have finished so wouldnt have many picsin it!!

Once the Build starts we will create a thread for people to post pics of their finished Webbits!!

And of course your not eliminated!! (It would mean both of us would be!!)

Dave

I thought maybe a thread called "This is not a Webbit thread"

Thye pictures of the one I am building are all in my albums, will probably make it public in May, assuming it gets finished, as the owner seems to have lost interest, and I have another project I want to finish first, though the Webbit wing is finished, it is only to cover the fuselage and tail now.

Never.

There was a resolution passed to say we could oppen the box and lay out the parts, solely for the preservation of the parts.

Did nothing that wasn't covered by the resolution, honest

In actual fact, I have never claimed to be part of the group starting in April, and have never claimed I have not started building anything, it is not even mine, though that is is questionable at the moment, as it may become mine.