E-flite Hawker Hurricane chat

James40

Well, I cracked in the end and bought the PnP. The review in the mag this month and good feedback on its flying qualities, plus wanting for no particularly decent reason to buy something sealed the deal. It looks good in the box so far, planning to use some 4s 3000 packs I already have if they fit and prop it down a bit. Wont have retracts straight away until I can source the extra legs or axles.

Edited By David Ashby on 05/04/2012 19:34:02

Not really Stuey, it's all there in the text - the model was with me for a long time before it went on general released so it was well flown in the interim. No vices other than the trimming tweaks I mentioned and the need to be careful when landing but I recall you've flown more demanding models than this (edf etc.) I think I'm right in saying?

Hi David thanks for the reply. Yes I have a fair bit of EDF experience, and I have the Kyosho Mustang and Spit with 0.60fs, PZ Thunderbolt (great little model) along with a couple of IC aerobats. The thing I need to nail down is landing a warbird without the nosing over at the end bit! I probably need to get better at the flare, except maybe for the Hurri as you described. I will be following your advice on the setup too smiley

I saw a fellow club member fly his Hurricane for the first time today. Takeoff looked nice and easy with no nosing over at the start, handled the breeze very well and reportedly flew really nicely. Landing looked fine except for nosing when it stopped. With the flaps down it was nearly walking pace. All in all very good smiley

Just need to get started assembling mine now!

• 2 months later...
Hi all, just finished my E Flight Hurricane but not own yet. Regarding the retracts I bought the standard set and modified them as follows to prevent more expense. I shortened the legs as normal, then cut an M3 thread to the axle, this enables you to use a lock nut to retain the wheel & the u/c doors modified by cutting locating stub off as shown in drawing & fitting a small 5mm o/d stub to door with an M3 set screw . If you require pics to back up the above plz ask. Cheers.

Thanks for the pics. I am guessing that raising the tailwheel may help stop nose overs on rollout as the tail would be sitting lower? What did you use for the wing lights?

I have had problems with the spinner running out of true. Most of this seems to be caused by the prop adaptor having a fair bit of wobble at the end where it retains the spinner. The motor shaft is fine. The spinner back plate is not completely flat though. On the first flight which was on 4S and a smaller prop, the vibration got to the point where the exhaust stubs fell off! By a minor miracle I found both of them. It didnt seem too bad on the ground, maybe the bit of extra rpm in the air caused the resonance. Back to 3S its not as bad. I contacted Horizon who sent me a new adaptor, which was actually worse...

I have ordered a 64mm Ripmax solid backed spinner to try, along with a standard short prop adaptor which will hopefully rid mine of any vibration. I did balance prop and spinner btw.

The biggest issue is nose overs on my club grass patch. I have shimmed the retracts forward a bit, but not found the solution just yet. One decided to stick up and refused to come down on one flight despite careful setting up and pre flight check, of course worked fine after a belly landing. The rad scoop did not come off very well though. Oh yeah, one wheel was egg shaped out of the box, which doesnt help setting them up.

Not been the best of starts for me, hopefully I can work out the bugs!!

David, how much flap angle to you use as a maximum? I was wondering if it was worth me moving the control rods out a hole on the servo arm for more movement. At the moment they hit the covers restricting the max throw.

Posted by stuey on 06/07/2012 20:22:33:

David, how much flap angle to you use as a maximum? I was wondering if it was worth me moving the control rods out a hole on the servo arm for more movement. At the moment they hit the covers restricting the max throw.

Quite often I land without tbh Stuey, I've found they tend to increase the workload a bit when deployed but I prefer 'more' rather than 'just a little' and I can easier manage drag (with throttle).

Thanks David. I had 2 landings last week in still air, the full flap one was noticeably slower. I wondered if it was worth aiming for about 45 degrees of movement. At the moment my patch is surrounded by wheat, so spot landings are required to avoid running into it on rollout!!

Hi David, sorry another question. I read the review again regarding the washers you added for extra downthrust, did you add 2 washers each side of the top mounting or 1? I have added 1 and reckon it could do with another on my model.

I've just noticed that Als are giving away E-Flite retracts with the BNF model. At £252 though, it doesn't seem like a lot of model for the money. Still, my PZ P-47 with the retracts and flaps cost about £200. If I'd looked at it as the total deal instead of adding the retracts and then the flaps, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi chaps, regarding my Hurricane I did not put any washers under motor mount and mine flies like a dream. As I am a 2200 3s pack user I used two of theses in my Hurricane in parallel, one in the normal battery space & the other behind it on the C of G. With 4400mAh to use I can achieve around eight minutes of mixed flying with around 40% left in each pack.

• 1 month later...
I have had a few more flights recently after adding an aileron/rudder mix. It has all but eliminated the hanging tail using 15%. I have some aileron diff too via the servo horn as I use a y lead and one was pointing forward a bit anyway. I have also found that retracting the flaps on touchdown has helped a lot with the nosing over. Currently using a 12x8 apc e prop about 50a on half charged pack as a replacement for the broken kit prop. Needs a quick coat of satin black mind!

Edited By stuey on 08/09/2012 17:22:13

Edited By stuey on 08/09/2012 17:23:36