E-flite Hawker Hurricane chat

James40

I think i must be one of the luckiest men alive. Not only did my wife buy me a large tiger moth for my birthday but imagine my surprise at the huge present i recieved for xmas. once opened i could not believe it, it was the e flight Hurricane i have been lusting after! on first inspection it is simply stunning. Can this really be a foamie? more news later about building and flying this georgeous thing.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 09/02/2013 19:20:45

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bet tom. I had looked at it several times and decided it was to expensive. I could not believe it when my Wife told me how little she had to pay for it. now i think it is a great product for the money. I have not noticed any problems with thrust lines yet but only had two flights so we will have to see. I have cg slightly forward of recomended. Does still nose over at very end of landing run but this could be because grass was very wet and muddy and not been cut yet. I did not experience any problems on take off run though.

• 2 weeks later...

Slight problem today, two good flights but did nose over at end of landing run both times, on second one it flipped upside down. On retreiving the model i noticed the rudder was loose. It seems that the hinge is only part of the foam and had cracked right through. I have repaired it with hinges let into the foam and glued with uhu por. Might be worth checking/ keeping an eye on if you nose over your models anytime. Not to good really after only 4 flights!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well finally maidened the E-Flite Hurricane I picked up second hand, and what a none event the maiden was! needed a bit of right aileron trim, and a little up trim and it was away. Lovely flier with the c of g at the rearmost position. Elevator expo tried to bit and aileron throws were isufficient, but truth be told nothing much at all. Lovely flier.

E-Flite Hurricane1.jpg

dsc_5133.jpg

Pictures courtesy of Chris Bott, thx Chris

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 03/05/2013 00:21:56

Noticed a month ago that E-flite dropped the price in the US to a little over $100US but when I hit the buy button they had all sold out (3 seperate online stores!!) Checked on Horizon's US website and it has been discontinued??? along with 2 or 3 other planes that were knocked down in price. Haven't found an explantion as to why, I assume they weren't selling well enough but the original price was obviously a prime reason for buyer resistance. Pity as I had my eye on one but at $269.99US PNP & no retracts just too dear for a foamie.

I snapped one up from Kings Lynn Models a few weeks ago, the Plug & play version for £130.00 and free delivery. Got the retracts as well and then HH UK sent me the retract covers FOC.cool

I've not put it together yet as I'm so pushed for space in the hanger, (read spare bedroom) and SWMBO not a happy bunny whenever large boxes arrive. This and my Limited Edition Seafire are still in their boxes as they take up less room that way. Note to self:- "Really must win the lottery tomorrow so I can get a bigger hanger."

Just need a Lanc and I can start my own BBMF.......the trick is flying them all at once in formation with one trannie. indecision

Its my birthday tomorrow and fingers crossed that all the hints I've dropped should be enough to ensure a Hurricane.

In preperation, what battery connections are on the ESC? I already have suitable Li po's but could re-solder their connectors tonight, if I need to. My batteries have the standard Turnigy ones, red moulded ones that hold both wires together to avoid shorting, they only fit in one way too. Sorry, I don't know their name.

Hi Bucksboy

It comes with the blue EC3 connectors common to all E-Flite/Horizon Hobby electric planes.

SMC do a bag of 10 pairs for £5.70. Make sure you get the right ones though as there are others on their site at £12.50 for 10 pairs. The cheaper ones are fine, I've used them since I started 5 years ago and I can't tell any difference except in the wallet.

Alwyn

I used the new c of g numbers quoted on the E-Flite website, a 3000mAh pack got the c of g on the rearmost position:

Hawker Hurricane 25e PNP

Bulletins

There is a change in the manual regarding the location of the center of gravity (CG) for the Hawker Hurricane 25e.

The manual states that the balance point for the airplane is located 3.50 to 3.75 inches (89 to 95mm) back from the leading edge of the wing at the wing root. This is incorrect.

The proper location for the CG is 2.50 to 3.00 inches (64 to 76 mm) back from the leading edge of the wing at the root.

An easy way to measure this balance point is to locate the small squares molded onto the top of the wing towards the wing root.

Cheers

Danny

A question to those of you flying 3 cell packs in the Hurri...

What sort of wattage are you getting? I test flew one of these for a clubmate recently and I have to say that I was rather disappointed. It needed full throttle most of the time to maintain height and wasn't very pleasant to fly as I suspect the C of G was too rearward - he'd turned up without the instruction booklet and I checked it at what looked like a safe position with the recommended 3 cell battery pack in the designed place. It was very responsive in pitch and almost flicked into turns...

Inverted flight needed a touch of up which would tend to confirm the cause of its nervousness being C of G related - I've since seen there's revised position recommended by e-Flite so it will be easy to check when he brings it again.

The main point I'd like to explore is the propeller - a rather blunt looking object in comparison with an APC or similar - has anyone else experienced sluggish behaviour with the standard fitment? I was expecting performance (and handling) similar to the FMS 1400 series - I've flown their Zero and Trojan which I thought were splendid performers and much better value for money.

P.S. I see Danny has posted about the C of G since I started composing the above - was your rearward most position to the new recommendation of on the small squares?

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/05/2013 12:30:22

I changed my prop to an APC-E 12x8 as I broke the kit prop. Make sure everything is well balanced, by exhaust stacks fell off when flying on 4S! (now back on 3S). I found mine cruises at about 2/3 throttle, not fast be any means but not falling out of the sky.

It took me a while to get the controls harmonised to my taste, including cheating a bit with an aileron/rudder mix. Nose overs fairly common despite packing the rear of the retracts out for more forward rake. Killing any flaps on touchdown and up elevator does help.

A couple of things to look at. After some landings the retract housing was coming away from the wing, fixed by cleaning up and keying the moulding, making some small holes with the end of a screwdriver then epoxy. The other, the elevator horn pulls away from the elevator with bigger movements. Fixed by regluing with canopy glue. This has been reported as causing vagueness, which was cured after gluing.

Lol like a muppet I didn't see the note about the small molded squares embarrassed

I measured and put two small pen marks at the extremities, I like to do this on my not so scale models so that in a years time, with a different pack I know where it should be.

Mine was set up with the c of g at 3"

I flew at just over half throttle for comfortable cruising, the prop on mine is an APC replacement but the diameter and pitch is virtually identical. I don't think I touched full power once, but I do like to fly as scale as I can without noticeably hanging the tail down.

Cheers

Danny