E-flite Hawker Hurricane chat

James40

Saw this hurricane in the flesh just a few days ago ,and for some reason it looked a tad bland. Not sure why but it didn't have that wow factor that i thought it would have. Scott have looked at the windrider Hurricane, and boy what a piece of kit. The nose is alot more scale than the e-flite one, and its alot cheaper as well.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if you guys have seen the Windrider hurricane is a EPO foam kit that needs a bit of work and components to complete , its also extremely scale and has a wingspan of 48" . For $115 shipped it includes electric retracts .

I have one and it flies lovely , mine is still unpainted but been flown 15 times or so . It will be painted soon .

Edited By SA Allan on 01/12/2011 16:45:03

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Admin on 02/12/2011 09:44:14:
Posted by James Schwab on 12/10/2011 23:59:49:
I've ordered the E-Flite Hawker BNF version. Should get it in Noivember 2011. I'll let you all know what I think after I get it.

Look slike a big Airfix kit Allan

Any news James?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 02/12/2011 09:45:45

Now that you mention it , even comes with plasic trees

• 2 months later...

It's quite pricy. The PNP version is £211, where the BnF Spit is £150. However, the Hurri has fitted split flaps and servos pre-installed, and is slightly biiger than the spit.

To get going: Spit £150 Bnf, plus retracts and in retract kit: £200 ish

Hurri, BnF £260 plus retracts. The PnP, as the Spit is not as good value, just for £40 more, you get a AR600 Spektrum RX, a battery pack and the charger, although basic, is quite good and simple to use, buying these item seperate would be more expensive.

I know the next paragraph will submit howls of derition, but I'm not fond of the Hurricane, iteself, and the Lancaster. Preferting the Mustang and B-17 over the above. Even though the Lanc had advantages over their counterparts over the B-17, as the Hurricane had advantages over their counterparts, the Hurricane being able to absorb massive damage and make it back.The Spit, is my favourite, as the B-17, but might still get the Hurricane later on. Not sure, yet...

Edited By Paul Marsh on 24/02/2012 16:30:37

Edited By David Ashby on 05/04/2012 19:32:30

I too am bothered by the price. For a PnP and retracts, possibly the pre bent legs and I'm not sure if you get the undercarriage doors you are looking at £265-270 ish. I remember when I got my Habu PnP for £180 thinking it was a mega bargain, they ended up going for £120 in the end.

I think the prospect of this kind of price drop scenario in these times will hold a lot of people back from what is probably a very nice model for a foamy. Especially in comparison to the Spit!

Edited By David Ashby on 05/04/2012 19:33:05

I would love to have the Hurricane - but as others have said, it's just too pricey, especially when you add the extra for retracts.

In fact TBH all the Eflite models are too pricey as far as I'm concerned, by comparison with what else is out there.

Compare with the FMS warbird offerings, which include retracts and see the difference in value.

Edited By David Ashby on 05/04/2012 19:33:21

What they said. Too dear for what it is, IMO. Too heavy for what it wants to be and the fact that the gear doors and prebent structs for the optional retracts also have to be purchased separately is penny-pinching that detracts from the plug and playability of the model.

Edited By David Ashby on 05/04/2012 19:33:35

• 2 weeks later...

I believe from reading another forum that they dont come with the kit. Are they shown in the supplied parts list? Might be worth contacting Horizon to see if they will send you some.

How have you found it so far? Its one on my radar along with a few others at the moment.

I don't have a DX8 but it sounds like you might have the flaperon setting switched on on the TX to me. It might be worth clearing the channel that you want to set up for the Hurricane.

I think you may need to use some 'Y' leads.

It might help to mention which receiver you are using. If you hve a 6 channel receiver, then you will need to connect as follows

Both aileron servo's to aileron channel - via Y lead.

Both Retract units to AUX / Retract Channel - via Y lead

Both Flaps servos to "Flaps" via Y lead - IF - they are set up so that both servos go the same way. (I would hope this is so in a ready to fly plane)

Hope this helps.

Edited By GrahamC on 14/03/2012 16:28:50

Edited By GrahamC on 14/03/2012 16:29:38

Edited By David Ashby on 05/04/2012 19:29:56

Hi Stephen, if you have Y leads for aileron and flaps then make sure you have 1 aileron 1 flap wing selected in wing type (in system menu).

Then with that set, go to the monitor screen. That will tell you which order the channels are in.

I think it will be

THR
AIL
ELE
RUD
GER
FLP.

So now plug your cables into the receiver in that order.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 14/03/2012 17:52:21

Edited By David Ashby on 05/04/2012 19:30:21