The short route to slope happiness?

Al and I have been comparing notes and, more importantly, toys in the shed

I then made the mistake to totting the cost of all that impulse buying. I haven't been sloping long, but it's looking like a couple of grand to date

I received some good advice way back before I threw anything off a hill, and that was to start with a Wildthing. Perfect for those who like beating up hills with lumps of foam. Excellent advice, and loads of fun. AND I eventually learned to stop beating up the hills

From there on in though I got a tad carried away. I won't reproduce the list here, but suffice to say I have toys which have not seen the amount of air they deserve.

This made me ponder what I really should have bought - including radio - and I now dare to share this and open it up for comment. If any other seasoned sloper wishes to make a short list then please do - I'm sure it will be beneficial to anyone wishing to start out on this maddening, addictive and fabulous pursuit.

Step one: buy a decent radio. I now use a 9ch JR radio with a 2.4gig module
Step two: buy a Wildthing. Just the thing to learn the slopes with. And knock your mates out of the sky with
Step three: buy an Easy Glider. All the functions, and none of the issues of a mouldie (apart from flaps of course). I missed this step.
Step four: buy a Luna. A real pussycat, but a proper sloper. This is where it all begins - again.

Thereafter it's up to the individual as far as I can see - the slope's your oyster. IYSWIM

Sound advice or poppycock?

IMHO impulse buying does not exist as everything is justifiable, at the time of purchase.

Radio -
I started with a Futaba 6EX 35MHz.
Then I needed two new receivers which was the ideal excuse (sorry, I mean justification) to upgrade to a DX7 2.4
The DX7 would barely do justice to six servo sailplanes and then I saw this advert on e-bay for a JR DSX9 - not exactly an impulse buy - I just could not resist it.
The moral here is also to go for a good one first

Models -
Have wrecked my first R/E trainer (should have bought a Wild Thing), Multiplex Blizzard, and RCRCM Typhoon which I replaced.
I gave away the Middlephase to a worthy cause, and it is still flying, just!
This makes me feel like a poor relation to you guys as I only have five slopers plus an Easy Glider Electric.
My very best impulse buy (I mean fully considered purchase) was the Wizard Compact, and I would not change that decision for the world.

Do I fly all five slopers?
Well yes and no.

That Pace on T9's website now looks very tempting.

Edited By Peewhit on 31/01/2011 17:23:00

That Pace on T9's website now looks very tempting.

By Peewhit on 31/01/2011 17:23:00

Dangerous place that T9 site. And don't go looking at Sloperacer either

Seriously though folks, there's plenty of advice about for beginners to power flying, but scant detail for those on the hills. I'm wondering if we are trying to keep new blood from taking slope soaring up? There's a lack of new 60" racers too - is this a trend? Are there keen young glider guiders who take their shiny new toy out, throw it off a hill - crash - and never return?

Too late Matthew - only bought three of my models from Sloperacer

Ok, advice for beginners and trying to help them avoid the mistakes I made four years ago.

Start with a basic 6 channel 2.4 TX which will run your first three or so models happily.
If you find that you are serious about this hobby and want to go into moulded ships, upgrade straight to a 9 channel one which will work with your existing receivers and has a specific glider program.

Download the free Slope Soaring Simulator by Danny Chapman and learn the basics of flying with a joystick and in the warmth of your own home.

Get a Wild Thing for your first model (60" if it will fit in the car, otherwise the 46") and most importantly, get some expert help in overseeing the build and teaching you to fly on the slope.

Progress to an Easy Glider which has spoilerons and learn how to land a model with a tail.

Next model should faster, fairly aerobatic and foam covered in CW tape so that it still bounces reasonably well - sadly there do not seem to be too many of these about now.

These models do not have to be new and you can pick up some really good second hand bargains.

After that, the Luna (or Typhoon if you think you can handle something a bit faster) for that first six servo mouldie.

Then the sky and the budget are the only limits, and don't forget the DLG for light wind sloping.

I think Matthew only felt good about his list after he'd seen mine! Only thing I would add is to be honest about what type of sloper you are. I don't much like building stuff and I'm not very good at it.

I'd much rather be flying, and there are a million things that take my spare time in front of fixing stuff. So the 2nd hand Mouldie route for me has worked well.

I did enjoy building the Middle Phase, but I wouldn't rush out to build something else. When I buy my first new mouldie, I'll pay sloperacer to build it. They'll do a better job, and I won't miss something I don't want to do.

Some may be a bit snooty about the whole chequebook modeller thing, but like I say, it's about being honest about what you want to do and how much you have!

That's a very good point, and perhaps those impulse purchases help define what kind of modeller you are.

Despite a miserable lack of freetime, I actually enjoyed building the Jart and the creative opportunities it created. I'm now certain the I would enjoy building, as I used to as a lad, from exotic materials like balsa, blood and tears. 100 inch soarer from a kit? Sounds like therapy to me!

Perhaps there's an opening for 'rentaglider' - where we can try out a thermal sniffer or ballasted racer. Who's gonna let me have a go on their Vector, then?!

Welcome back Timbo.

Are we not looking at someone who is new to the slope and therefore unsure as to whether they will continue the hobby into mouldie exotica.

Their first model is a two channel Wild Thing and then after that an Easy Glider and Middlephase (or foam equivalent) which are both four channel.

The transmitter requirement for the first three models (probably the first year or more of sloping) is therefore rudder, elevator, ailerons and flaperons with one programmable mix for flaperon elevator compensation.

Thermal mode settings are not needed and the flaperon aspect can be easily handled by a traditional flap dial as opposed to a fancy three position switch.

So, what will a 7 channel Tx with a specific glider program provide that a more simple 6 channel with flaperon settings will not, apart from unnecessary expense?

Surely it is only when the six servo ships come along that a more complex TX is required, and that middle of the road 7 channel set will not really do what is needed.

My advice to a beginner remains:-
Start with a 6 channel set and then upgrade to a 9 channel which has a specific all singing and dancing glider program.

I can still get a lot of enjoyment flying an ancient Impala with a World Engines two channel 27MHz radio.
But then I started with a single channel "Wee McGregor" super regen "bang bang" radio operated by a rubber driven escapement which I could fly only when there was no one else flying...
I do have several gliders which I take to the slopes. All but one are built up from plans or kits.
As someone has already said, it depends on one's budget and whatever takes your fancy.
Malcolm

Posted by Peewhit on 01/02/2011 20:44:33:
Welcome back Timbo.

Are we not looking at someone who is new to the slope and therefore unsure as to whether they will continue the hobby into mouldie exotica.

Their first model is a two channel Wild Thing and then after that an Easy Glider and Middlephase (or foam equivalent) which are both four channel.

The transmitter requirement for the first three models (probably the first year or more of sloping) is therefore rudder, elevator, ailerons and flaperons with one programmable mix for flaperon elevator compensation.

Thermal mode settings are not needed and the flaperon aspect can be easily handled by a traditional flap dial as opposed to a fancy three position switch.

So, what will a 7 channel Tx with a specific glider program provide that a more simple 6 channel with flaperon settings will not, apart from unnecessary expense?

Surely it is only when the six servo ships come along that a more complex TX is required, and that middle of the road 7 channel set will not really do what is needed.

My advice to a beginner remains:-
Start with a 6 channel set and then upgrade to a 9 channel which has a specific all singing and dancing glider program.

I don't think Alex's 6 channel radio lasted all of 6 months before he upgraded.............

My 7 channel (MPX entry set) has the following over my Dx6i

Handles Flaps and Crow brilliantly
Better elevon mixing that both Dx6i and 6EX
Can put spoilerons on throttle stick rather than a switch or dial

So maybe it should be start with a basic 6 channel set and then buy a more expensive 9 channel set (of same make) later on, or get a 7 channel set with glider features and don't need an upgrade.

It all depends how fast you think you'd progress, but I put my Easy Glider on my Dx6i as it was a simple glider and then changed back to my 35 mhz Sx so I could have spoilers on the throttle stick without having to resort to any offbeat mixing.
If you aren't sure you'd stick with RC then maybe the recommendation should be to get a 2nd hand 6 channel Tx to begin with.

TBH - I can live with either opinion - its just that I feel the same about the Tx choice as I do about chargers - as soon as you buy one, you very quickly find yourself thirsting for more and wish you had spent those few extra quid and got one that can handle the 6s lipos that you said you would never ever use LOL

Whilst we all get technical, how many kids/teenagers/folk under 20 do you see on the slopes?
Is glider guiding more of a gentleman's pursuit?!
Should we be encouraging beginners or just let folk gravitate to rc soaring? I only ask as I know of rc power flying clubs that have a 'club trainer' model along with designated instructors and mentors, yet I'm not aware of anything like this amoungst slopers.