Is there such a thing as a basic radio gear anymore?

Hiya all. Is there a full range 2.4ghz radio gear out there that doesn't resemble something out of Star Trec. I am a 70 year old bloke who has no intention of having more than 1 model at a time and will never use the range of bits and pieces which have appeared on Tx's of late. I could do with not getting more confused than I already am.
Cheers my friends.

Geoff

Advert

Geoff
My deepest sympathy ,I know what you,re looking for but I have had to buy stuff designed for the generation of expert button pressers ie 3 to 8 year olds The simplest of my Tx's is the GC one & cheap too .Can't remember the name & is still packed after a house move but it's radio link something or other Very much like the Planet gear I would think .
Good luck Myron Bet you like sliding trims too?

Tom,

I have a Planet set up and its not full range according to the instuctions,

The instructions state do not fly in excess of 150m although the the system has been tested at significantly greater range.

we range tested mine in excess of 300 m,

I got a mate of mine on the bike with the receiver/battery and a servo and it was still working and he was out of sight..

I have the Planet setup in three of my models and never had a problem,mind you the models are all vintage type floaters,I would be hesitant to try it in an aerobatic m/c.
Two months ago an article in RCM&E stated Planet were bringing out new receivers that were full range.

Hope this helps

jimbo

hello geoff...check out the j.perkins site(dealer's) and their stuff is stocked by many shop's nationwide.......the latest version of the planet gear is good value for money(2.4ghz)....and i believe it's full range also...if your happy with no frill's or bell's and whistle's -this may fit the bill...worth a look ...

ken anderson....ne..1

ps..there's a lad on this forum who did some test's with the 1st version and i think he was impressed with the speck/price.....his name is Jim Carss...he's posted above same time as me  

Edited By ken anderson. on 03/02/2011 18:48:47

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 03/02/2011 18:51:23:
For a tad over 50 squid including a decent 6 channel receiver seems a good buy.
If you have an old set already, thats modular, then fit a FrySky module.

Great minds Tim? I have just been swanning around the shops and saw this at the Big Fish site. I just came on to ask anybody's opinion and saw your post. Range looks reasonable as I will never let it get that far anyway (hopefully) Cheers for your help my friends.

Geoff

PS and check out the price of the receivers, a third of the price of the Art Tech one.

Edited By Geoff Smith 1 on 03/02/2011 19:05:49

Posted by Jim Carss on 03/02/2011 19:12:53:
Tom,

When you get to my age and the eyes start to go dim its about all I can handle.

need to be BIG floaters, Mercury 3

JIm

Thanks Jim, thats why I'm going for a Super 60 after the Webbitt

Geoff

Geoff,

Some good suggestions there and I wouldn't have a problem with the GC system.

At present there is a Dx5e with AR6100 Rx on Ebay which could be a very good bargain. That'll give you just one memory with basic functions and if you're happy to settle for the one model at a time, that would be a good choice.

However, you've mentioned that you've got a second model lined up already and this hobby is so darned addictive it may be worth considering an outfit with more than one model memory.

There are any number of used Dx6i's about now at good prices which would give you a bit more versatility with ten memories - and you don't have to use all the programming functions!

Good luck with your choice - it isn't easy, is it?

Pete

Here's a thought.

Get a DX6i/DX7/DX8 and ask someone to set up the throws/expo etc.

The logic here is that a well set up TX-RX link can make a model so much easier to fly. The joy of flying will far outweigh the effort of getting a little help.

We have some 80yo+ plus members in our club. We can ensure that they get decent flights and not risk the models too much my setting up a speccy-speccy buddy box. It gives the guys confidence to throw their planes around a bit, we can help out if they get near the line or become disoriented

I have been using one of t h e s e for over a year now, programmed it once on the PC for 40% expo and never touched it since, just use it as a basic set for playing with depron planes.

Of course you will have the 1001 problems that will no doubt be raised about buying from HK, but it has been a very good knock-around TX for me.

The A model has a satellite receiver, which I prefer, the B model as shown does not.

So far as I remember, it comes with a 6 channel RX, a bind plug, and USB cable, but  it comes with no instructions, and you have to download the software, and the box is CE marked. I bought two, I'll try and find the new one today and see what is in it to confirm  what I remember.

Edited By Steve W-O on 05/02/2011 09:36:11

Thanks for this Steve. This looks interesting, what sort of range does it give? Cheers mate

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Smith 1 on 05/02/2011 09:54:45:
Thanks for this Steve. This looks interesting, what sort of range does it give? Cheers mate

Geoff
Out of sight! Have tested it to around 600m on the ground, can't remember what the specs are, will try and look later.

The price seems to have come down a bit to