Am tempted to go for a Phase 6

Peewhit

Posted by PatMc on 28/09/2011 20:39:25:
Isn't beefing up the break plate defeating the object of it ?

I'd stick with with 1/16th plates if i were you Pete, they did exactly what they're supposed to do.
You just need to makes sure you've always a few spares with you when you take the P6 out.
Glad you got over the maiden ok, was up at HoH myself today, was lovely!
Phil

The break plate seems to break far too easily, and having beefed up the fus, can afford to beef up the break plate.

Having now sorted the crow elevator compensation, I hopefully will not break any more plates.

Phil, are you up for HoH on Saturday?

Nice southerly forecast

took an old Phase 6 out today, soley as an expendable airframe to test some recievers terry laycock is having, happy to report, no problems with the recievers, or the model, i had an absolute blast, and only landed after testing the last reciever, when the tranny battery started bleeping, superb afternoon out, forgot just how smooth and well behaved this model is, its a standard 1 servo wing, bit basic, but LOTS of the smile factor!!

I have a plan for a fossie phase 5 and a phase lift. And a box of balsa. So what's next on the build table. I'm thinking phase 5 since it's oct and these thermals can't last forever. My last built up was a Diablo (modified), It flys great like a 1970s vtpr, but needs great lift.

October or not, you don't need the thermals to fly, just the wind.

I fly all year round in sub zero temperatures, snow, etc, there is no "season" for slope soaring.

My Phase 6 performs superbly, yet I have seen a Phase 5 go and that is even better.

Go for the Phase 5.

Took the Phase 6 out today at Hole of Horcum.

Full sunshine, 25 degrees and a 15 mph wind all day, not bad for 1st October, even did some sum bathing.

Six hours on the slope and awesome performance from the Phase 6.

60oz does not seem to matter as the speed gives it lift - let the wing work and it work very efficiently.

Also looks so cool in the air - that fin line tells it all.

Middle Phase or Phase 6, there is something about these elderly Chris Foss designs that "just flies", and flies very well!

Also put up the Typhoon, but that's another story and a totally different beast.

Forgot to report on the C of G thing.

5" seems just right as in the dive test it carries on diving in a straight line, and needs very little down elevator for inverted flight.

With the C of G at 5" it is also much more agile, and even rolls faster.

So, now that I have the C of G correct, I can plan the ballast loading equally around it, and see what it does ballasted in a really good blow

• 3 weeks later...
all this talk of building and flying retro slope models forced me to put down my current PSS build plans and dig an old Phase 6 kit out of the garage that has been stored for 10 years or more since I bought it!

Other than a warped tailplane component (sorted with steam over the kettle) and heavily yellowed decals the kit it was in perfect order - the foam wings still just like new... anyway Ive enjoyed the build (this is the 4th one Ive built in total over the years - it was a real trip down memory lane and quite nostalgic) and Ive modified it slightly by cutting 4.5" off each wing tip to give a shorter span and a slightly higher wing loading. Ive fitted 4 servos in the wings for flaps/ailerons and crow mix, there is a ballast tube over the CofG and the wing bolt mount is beefed up and hard mounted into the fus (no pull off plates as per the original design) - other than that she is stock build.

Finished the airframe today, went for a retro black and yellow scheme, wings and tail are all solarfilm and trim, fuselage Ive covered in black GlossTex. Not easy to apply on the plywood fuselage! She needed a few oz of lead up front to balance as per the instructions. Ive just got the Tx programme to sort and we will be ready for action. Heres a few pics...

Edited By Phil Cooke on 23/10/2011 19:32:45