Am tempted to go for a Phase 6

Peewhit

I learned to fly on an aileron version Middlephase which was a superb machine and has now been given to a very good home and is still flying.

The satisfaction of flying something that you have "built" as opposed to just installing the gear is very gratifying , and I do miss that balsa bashing experience.

Hence, I am very tempted to go for a Phase 6 (symmetrical wing version) for aerobatics in a good blow.

I do have some mouldies, RCRCM Typhoon, Wizard Compact and DLG Blaster 2 which all perform very well indeed.

I suppose that the question I am really asking is what is the flight performance of the Phase 6 like for out and out aerobatics, or do I go for another reasonably priced mouldie machine such as the Voltij?

Any suggestions?

I've built and enjoyed 3 Phase 6's over the past 20 years, with both the Sport and Pro wing. They are of course fully aerobatic when fitted with rudder (I did build 2 of them without the rudder fitted for simplicity) but they are limited in capability when compared to more modern designs due primarily, IMO to the light wing loading and also the wing section.

I think well ballasted on a good slope it would still impress - for a certain type of smooth flowing aerobatics. You could chop 5" of each wing tip to improve the wing loading and give it a bit more go. You will need to consider where and how to add ballast over the CoG - with the elevator and rudder pushrods traditionally running in the fuz under the wing seat there is no room (you could put micro servos in the tail these days of course!) But even ballasted it will never match the pace or efficiency of some of the more modern moulded sports models.

But like you say - it gives you some traditional building scope - no fun in gluing in a few servos to an otherwise finished glass wing and fus. Go get your Phase 6, modify it to suit modern RC setups and enjoy the PVA and epoxy on your fingers!!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 10/02/2011 22:46:10

Iv,e flown a couple of phase 6,s ,and they are nowhere as good as a voltij or wasabi ,but if you want to advance your aerobatic skills without the higher cost of the mouldies think about an LEG Fish or Guppy. A modern aerobat that will soak up the punishment when learning new tricks(. Ask how i know ). Iv,e got or had all these models !!

Peter,

If you want something for the joy of building, I would take a look at this:
http://www.zaerotech.com/za_z55.htm
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1319583&highlight=zip55

I have the 33 and it's a great kit, which I am building at the moment. Having had a middle phase I would say this kit is on a completely different level. It's amazing! Maybe not aerobatic enough for what you want though.

Also the phase 6 is pretty old, I mean would really fly it compared to your typhoon?

I had a voltij and it is a very aerobatic machine (a classic). The build of those aeromod planes is certainly a challenge, although not a satisfying one like bashing some balsa.

Tom

Thank you gentlemen for all your responses.

It seems to come down to Le Fish, Voltij or Phase 6.

I am looking for a "classic" model with good aerobatic performance.

Le Fish has the performance, but all that foam and sticky stuff?
Had plenty of that with the Fusion, Bedlam and Blizzard.

The Voltij is a classic and seems also to have the performance.
I am tempted by the carbon version with flaps and a stronger wing joiner.
Having just paid the taxman, two car services, two car insurances, and with the other half wittering something about a holiday, at £500 it would have to wait a while.

The Phase 6 is definitely a classic with reasonable performance, and it has that lovely smelling wood fus to build, all for less than £90.

Suppose that, in time, I could always go for both.

Decisions, decisions, and I can nearly smell that balsa and ply already.

Four servos, Specky receiver, switch and battery.

May have to work an extra day to afford all that.

Alternatively, could go on holiday to Egypt and sell the wife for a few camels, then sell the camels to buy the gear.

My main concern is the cost of the poofilm, but if I glass it spray paint is cheaper.

What about the Voltij then?

i would keep the camels and get rid of the two car's......the one's with two hump's are the best runner's according to 'enrico'.........anyway.....off to the shop and get the phase 6......you cant take it with you......so spend,spend and spend......

ken anderson ne...1.

pm enrico for advice about the camel's........

Here's the build thread of mine from last year: Phase 6

I was told that the symmetrical wing 'pro' version needs a big blow to maintain height so I went for the 'sport' version.

I glassed everything so it came out a tad heavy but it doesn't seem to hurt the performance at all. I haven't really had much chance to fly it but the few goes I have had I enjoyed.

The first flight was just supposed to be a test glide but it kept going, was not going to land before the crest of the hill so the best thing to do was push out into the lift and carry on! Caught me by surprise as I thought it would plank about 20ft in front of me.

Cheers

Gary

Edited By Gary Binnie on 12/02/2011 19:55:18

It looks like the sport version then.

Thanks Gary for the link. Your build thread is very impressive indeed.

Think the servos are going in the wings though.

The question now is do I go for two wing servos and spoilerons, or split the ailerons and have flaps and crow braking with four servos?

Argh... I know I shouldn`t but you lot have me wanting to build one... *must resist*
Also a little birdy tells me there may be a mouldie phase 6 coming out ......

Posted by r6dan on 13/02/2011 16:55:43:

Also a little birdy tells me there may be a mouldie phase 6 coming out ......

What would be the advantage, would it just be for ease of building or would there be some performance gain?

I`d loooove a Guppy, one of the local slope masters fly`s one and it is tanfastic!!