Home truths from abroad

Pete B

Advert

Oh yes! haven't we all heard/taken part in that conversation! It all sounds so familar.

Its the sense of indignity that always gets me - "What do you mean? I can't fly my 8 foot wingspan Spitfire with 27MHz RC here. I know I haven't flown before but I've a computer game at home I'm really good at......."

BEB

I believe this is completely the WRONG way to handle newbies.

'Instructor' has a condescending 'know it all' tone. No wonder the Newbie wants to run away and try on their own.

A better approach would be:

"Its great that you're keen to fly that 100mph EDF jet. Let me help you through the stages of flying it safely. The first real blocker is that you haven't got your insurance, I can help point you to where to get some easily.

That coaxial experience you have will come in handy -- how old/fast is your cat? Were your mods successful? Talk to me about your simulator experience, did you have the wind and thermal effects turned up?

There's quite a difference between the simulator and the real world experience, the real world has more chaos in it and your depth of perception will be quite different between a screen and the field.

In general we introduce people to the sport using buddy lead between two transmitters. We understand that our beginners would like to avoid breaking their models too much,

So we can't get started with your EDF jet today matey, If you're desperate to have a go, 100mph is about 33metres per second, or about 3 seconds to cover a baseball pitch.

Hmmm, you don't like the look of the high wing trainers, well how about a Cougar2000/Demon3D/Hype/Panic/Addiction? If you're sure about your hand/eye co-ordination and spatial orientation any of those will make a great trainer.

Is that a Parkzone Habu? they're pussycats really, more like 100km/h rather than 100mph

Tell you what, have a chat with the chaps on the flightline here, they'll tell you what the found difficult when they started. This is a great club with good membership fees and new members are welcome"

I think its only meant to be taken in light hearted way - with a ring of truth about the whole thing of course
Im sure most of the instructors I know ( myself included ) would indeed take the sort of approach you suggest Andy - our club faithfuls are always keen to attract new members, no matter how naive they may be in the face of complete inexperience.

Andy,

I'm sure the vast majority of us would agree with you. But as Timbo says it is supposed to be a bit tongue in check. Equally I'm sure most of us can tell tails of the complete beginners who have turned up at the field with totally inapproriate models - but have been sucessfully convinced to "slow down" a bit and learn with something a bit more manageble before having a go with their 'pride and joy'. Many of us have probably flown said pride and joy for them as well so as to ease their dissapointment on the day a little bit as well!

But don't forget, you do occassionally come across individuals that no amount of diplomatic positive encouragement to be a bit more sensible is going to influance. For them there is no hope - the black bin bag was made for people such as this!

BEB

A bit like a nameless person who came to the club and instantly demolished his small electric ducted fan model. He was told to buy a trainer.

He came back with a P-51B Mustang with retracts and a .52 FS. At least he let someone else fly it.

I gave him a couple of trainers and told him to fit his gear in the high wing one. WE haven't seen him since although the secretary has been in touch.

a newbie turned up at the patch one day with a precident hi boy, and asked if some one could test fly it for him. our instuctor said he would but wanted to check the model over first, so he pulled on the ailerons and they fell off no glue anywhere. then the rudder,elevator,fin and tailplane joined the heap. i checked the wing joint and lo and behold no glue there either. the poor fellow had no idea what he was doing as he had bought the kit unbuilt but with no instructions. one kind sole took him under his wing and sorted his model for him and he passed his a test with the same model six months later

Phil no one has a clue when they first start out.

I remember my first rc flight (Lasted only 5 seconds). I almost had it right but the elevator movement was reveresed. no freindly advice on an internet forum (no internet in them days) I did not even know about clubs.

some glue and some reserch later i tried again and the model flew well but without any skill I did not have proper control but it was fun untill eventually the battery died followed by another heavy landing