Own-design epp depron jet

kevin wild

Kev,

I know nothing about whether the torque bar will be strong enough? but I would try to get the least amount of flex as possible in the system. One thing that someone did say to me once was to seal the hinge lines top and bottom with tape etc this apparently reduces and helps eliminate flutter, how true this is I have no idea.

That's a cracking design and very well thought out, what programme are you using, solid works?

I would be more than happy to build one if you ever create some plans

Rich

Advert

• 3 months later...
Hi
I've been a bit busy building flying and repairing indoor stuff lately so this project went on hold for a bit, the weather being poo doesn't help either

on the couple of good days we've had this year i've popped outside to finish sanding the fuz and shaped the elevons

it's nearly there

I've got to put a bit of colour on so i can tell which way is up. make a latch up for the battery hatch and glue the fins on

hopefully fly sometime this week

As above... Very nice exercise in modern design n build techniques..

Way above my technique of tracing my monitor with good ol' pencil n tracing paper.. !!!

I love the way you can design a 3d structure in an interlocking way, you'd have a nightmare doing with normal methods..

Love to know what software you're using...

Are you a draftsman by trade / training, or have you just picked it up.. What i'm asking is, wether I could figure it out, or is it mind-numbingly complicated.. ???

After the post the other day, regarding wether 'foamies' are proper models, I guess you've just proved that they are..

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Hi

I've been messing around with turbo cad and other packages for about 20 years, i'm not a draftsman by trade but I've done quite a bit of 3D modeling from customer drawings over the years using industrial packages

the wing solid was built up from surfaces then cut up , it was a real head ache to be honest and I've put in hundreds of hours on this project

the interlocking parts were all manually adjusted, sorry no easy route in the software

I've just spent about 4 hours slapping some acrylic paint on it to make it look pretty

just waiting for the 2 inches of slushy snow to melt away and the fog to clear and it'll be off

it's green and very dark purple believe it of not. i did test the paint on a bit of scrap depron but it came out much darker then expected

• 2 weeks later...

Broke it

the test flight didn't go well

it torque rolled so much on the hand launch i couldn't correct it and it knife edged into the ground

the nose broke off. the motor broke loose and near enough chopped the left elevon in half

i've glued the nose back on but still have to sort out the elevon

I've increased the battery size from 1300 to 2200mah from Mk1 so the weight has gone up a bit. also the extra power from the bigger battery probably gave me a few more revs. Mk1 used to torque roll on launch too but not as badly

when i get it fixed i'll be launching it on full rates and anticipating the roll i hope i catch it next time

kev

Edited By kevin wild on 27/02/2012 12:46:44

Edited By kevin wild on 27/02/2012 12:48:36

I observed a Kryton pile in on launch on Sunday. Being EPP there was no damage.

The problem in that case was that it was launched on full rates and full power.

It was apparent later, that the model would fly at walking pace. There was no need for full power.

Perhaps that if you tried half power, it would give more time to sort out the models trim.

Sorry to hear about the model .

i too have crashed models on their maiden flight due to hand launch its a bad thing sometimes as you can not get youre hands on the sticks quick enough after the launch to correct it .

Are you alone flyer or could you enlist a helping hand . Mind you sometimes that can be just as bad if the guy throwing it is no good .

Lets hope its not the end for it .

I know what you mean Stephen.

The issue is often compounded by not knowing precisely how to set up the model. Typically, is any up elevator required, How much throw. on all surfaces

Flying wings and deltas have their own problem. That is how much reflex to set the trailing edge.

All is initially a judgement.

I had a very personal experience this week end. I transferred a model from my 6ex to my 8fg. Dead simple. I just set everything up to identical settings as the old Tx. The first couple of circuits was spent with a lot of right aileron and up elevator held in. Slowly I sorted out the trims, first the right turn,which became slight left, until it was finally flying well. In principal, there should not have been any issues.

Own design and first flights are potentially challenging events. As suggested a hand launch by a helper is essential. A sharp left turn (or right), climbing steeply or diving, may lead to the model piling in, if you have not got back to the stick.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear

right then I glued it all back together and then left it sulking in a corner for a while...

conditions were perfect. I decided to launch on half power down a bit of a slope....

you know what's coming . yep the slope wasn't enough. the nose dug in and snapped off

I will glue it back on (again) and try a dolly

kev

Oh dear Kevin ,

A big boy like you and you have too go sulking of in a corner with a Dolly face 14.

Mind U how many men admit to playing with dollys .

Opps wrong kind of Dolly`s Sorry kevin .

I have to admit here to using dollys ..................................... too Launch my aircraft Or better still i use a catapult on a launch pad which allows me to have both hands on the controls while my foot releases the catapult .

Good Luck hopefully 3rd time lucky yes

Posted by Stephen Jones on 15/03/2012 19:59:39:

Oh dear Kevin ,

A big boy like you and you have too go sulking of in a corner with a Dolly face 14.

Mind U how many men admit to playing with dollys .

Opps wrong kind of Dolly`s Sorry kevin .

I have to admit here to using dollys .....

Lol

Hi

the damage was a little bit more than I first thought. the nose hit the ground and dug in. as it snapped off it must have kicked to the right because the leading edge and underside had been compressed in. so when i came to glue it back on it didn't fit very well. I've ended up cutting out sections on the fuz side leading edge and fuz belly to let in fresh pieces of depron. I must say that it's very easy to reair depron

crash repair

just got to repaint it and build the dolly

kev

Edited By kevin wild on 21/03/2012 10:12:30