RCM&E April 2011 issue

Posted by Mowerman on 12/03/2011 10:08:11:
Can the wings really be held on with only 2 rubber bands?

Were the flying shots real or 'photoshopped'

Not believing that our Uncle Alex could ever be guilty of such ignominy, I took a closer peek at the flying shots in question, and it looks like there are more than just the two bands holding the wings on!

What' is bad though, is that I was sad enough to do it.........

tim

Advert

Mowerman - further to The Great Rubber Band Mystery:

The Jitterbug cover shot, and the rest of the static shots, were taken about a week before the flying shots. The model wasn’t quite ready to fly, but the sun was shining, so I took her up to the club field to do the static shots. This is why the band-count is different from the flying shots. I just needed to hold the wing on long enough to get the picture! If you look very closely you will note that in all those shots, the Profilm has that virgin, unsullied look that can never be replicated again. Because of poor light, the flying shots were taken over two further weekends. Then, the wing was held on by two “cross-gartered” bands, and two fore-and-aft bands. As to the gross calumny about me cheating with Photoshop, after careful reflection, on this occasion I have decided not to sue. Joking apart, I do not own or use Photoshop. I despise digital illustration masquerading as true photography. Everything you see in my photographs, for better or worse, is straight from the camera. I do reserve the right to crop, and to adjust tonal values, as I would in ye olden days in my chemical darkroom. By the way, I can confirm that the model was diligently checked by our Safety Officer, before and after each flight. Our Safety Officer’s name is Mr. Nathan Farrell Jones. Hope this clears up the mystery. Thanks to Mowerman for being so observant, and keeping us grubby smudgers on our toes. I am genuinely flattered that my photographs are perused so thoroughly.

Alex

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 13/03/2011 23:05:46

As ever, a great edition, well produced.

However...

Surprised to see so much content given over to Alex Whittaker's journey on his personal web presence. We all know that Alex is a freelancer, and you can see his copy in many other magazines. It's often the same show report - although not a cut and paste job in most instances.

alexwhittaker.com must surely be Alex's sales and marketing tool. Yes - packed with a useful archive of old bits and bobs and videos that enable him to practice his Jean Michelle Jarre film score moments. Freeware in action. But please - let's not pretend it's an altruistic move on Alex's part - his contribution to the Big Society.

Got to hand it to him though. Most advertisers pay the magazine...

Enough already. Something constructive.

How about the endless kit reviews get a bit of a re-vamp? Why not try some comparitive reviews? You know - review three .40 size IC trainers or three electric warbirds together to enable comparisons to be made.

How about revisting the review after three months of flying. What has broken, how easy was it to repair - that sort of thing. It really is laughable that some kit reviews and plan features draw conclusions after two or three flights.

I sometimes think that the whole idea of a three page hard copy kit review has had its day. Most people jump to the internet forums where you can get a whole host of information and opinion that is both broad and has real depth.

How about trying something different?

One final rant. Will Andy Ellison please stop gushing about dynamic soaring speed records. Probably only him and the the three people who have the hallowed model design in this country are bothered.

Yours etc

Posted by Slopetrashuk on 15/03/2011 12:02:23:
Posted by MarkyMarc on 15/03/2011 09:57:47:

One final rant. Will Andy Ellison please stop gushing about dynamic soaring speed records. Probably only him and the the three people who have the hallowed model design in this country are bothered.

No.

Andy

Good! because I'm interested

Bert

Is it me or does the jitterbug free plan look like something we have seen before too many times. I may be just on a downer but it just does not look very inspiring to me and with the two wood packs costing £88.98 plus postage not a cheep way to build a model

it is a very mundane easy to build sport model and not a particularly nice one with its lines designed just to make an easy build rather than to look good or interesting.

if we are to have a free flan every month is it time to mix it up a bit

Edited By Phil B on 17/03/2011 20:58:42