RCM&E April 2011 issue

Advert

The telling thing is that RCM&E is written by modellers for modellers, and it comes through in the writing. Add to that the approachability (if there is such a word) of the editorial team, the writers, reviewers and designers on this forum and it's easy to see why it's the best!

RCM&E is the best, in a mad moment of boredom I purchased another mag.

OMG! - what a mistake, the paper, print and photo quality was very poor and the articles and depth of information in them were shallow to say the least. Amazed that a Parkzone plane released early 2010 was being featured on the front page in 2011.

Long live RCM&E !

Haven't had time to read my April mag yet, just had a quick flick through, Nuremburg looked great.

My copy has just arrived. Excellent contents................................. BUT

The YAK competition entry form is on the front of the Brian Winch article first page. (115-116). Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

Why? And will the organisers please accept photocopies when the set-up has been thus arranged?
I don't like cutting up the mag. even when the comp form is on the front of an advert and I am sure that the advertiser concerned doesn't want this.

Or, will the entry form be featured on this website later?

A.W's low winger looks very good & may end up on my
building brd sometime soon - I think it would suit a nice
el*ctric outrunn*r superbly.
Looking forward to seeing Nigel Hawes' finished Fokker and
a flight report - next month?

Some of the other mags don't really come up to RCM&E's standards.

Posted by Danny Fenton on 10/03/2011 11:22:28:
Some of the other mags could certainly learn a thing or two regarding the quality of the photographs/printing. Flying Scale Models, where the pictures need to be really good to appreciate the detail, is truly awful in that respect.

I agree, but ask one question, why is there a competition to get the captions for photos as far away as possible from the photo they refer to?

Someone ought to bring a skilled compositor out of retirement to teach them about layout.

It is only a "fashion" thing, rather like the way to layout a letter, but some of the modern trends make for hard reading.

The quality of the photos, paper and printing is superb, but I guess asking for the captions to go under the photos is like asking people to wear a tie to work, just not in fashion

I haven't received mine yet and I've just noticed I can't get subscribers extra on this site either.
Kevin.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 10/03/2011 14:34:18:
Thanks guys, very kind of you. What could we do to make the mag better?

think you should visit north end of uk...home of the HTP and BVRMC......that would take up a few pages and guarantee....record sales....secure young asher's future etc.......knighthood etc for him and T Mackey.....

ken anderson ne...1.

Edited By ken anderson. on 10/03/2011 19:30:19

Posted by Marky on 10/03/2011 18:51:17:
Hi David, My mag arived today, excellent spread on the Nuremburg fair, I was particulary inerested in the eagle model on page 23, do you have any further details?
Many thanks, Mark.

Hi Mark, yes it was on the BMI stand. They're a German distributor - here's a link to the item on their website. Let me know if you find a way of securing one.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 11/03/2011 06:29:52

AW's Jitterbug looks great, BUT
Can the wings really be held on with only 2 rubber bands?
Would the club safety officer have allowed a .55 powered model with only 2 bands retaining the wings?
Would Nathan FJ have been happy to fly the model in that condition?
Were the flying shots real or 'photoshopped'
Why has no one else noticed this?

Early last year, I was practicing for my SAA Bronze. I was determined to pass it with my electrified Wot Trainer, known affectionately as "the Alternator". One of the club "nitroheads" turned up with a Flair Cub, saying "Try this - It's steady as anything, you'll pass no problem with this....."
So I gave it a try. Every time I applied down elevator, the model would zoom upwards, turns would inexplicably become far too tight, and it was generally a real pig to fly. The problem was traced to the fact there were only four bands holding the wing down. Six bands cured it, but I still did the test with the Alternator!

Posted by Mowerman on 12/03/2011 10:08:11:
AW's Jitterbug looks great, BUT
Can the wings really be held on with only 2 rubber bands?
Would the club safety officer have allowed a .55 powered model with only 2 bands retaining the wings?
Would Nathan FJ have been happy to fly the model in that condition?
Were the flying shots real or 'photoshopped'
Why has no one else noticed this?

And surely no coincidence that its the April issue - and theres a picture of it with an electric motor installed!