RCM&E April 2011 issue

Advert

Very interesting article by Mr Winch on silencing. I e mailed him as I remebered a long lost method where silencers were stuffed with wire wool to deaden the sound.
His reply was witty, informative and prompt.
The up shot of it is, I will be doing a few experimants with the stuff in the next few weeks and the wife will be relieved of her stainless pan scrubbers. She can either find an alternative or learn to cook properly.
I have seen a sound meter in Maplins and will invest in it to test my own models out.

I found the article on silencing the silencer very interesting. I aquired some 'Rescue Tape' £5.90p per roll, and used it on the 'box' muffler on my Zenoah 23 (Petrol). Fitted as per the instructions. It lasted 4 minutes. The silencer was too hot for it. It split and 'pinged' off like a rubber band. Much to the surprise & amusment of fellow flyers standing nearby.

So, my question is; Where can I get some suitable 'Silastic' silicone compound from ? As I would like to try the other method featured in the article.

Any ideas/help appreciated.

BB

BB, which tape did you use? Some of the self amalgamating tapes available only have a 90'C temperature rating!
I'm trying to locate the brand we use at work, we call it greenline tape, it's a self vulcanising tape but with a very high temp rating (used in jet engines) so will be well up for the job.

I'm out of the country at the moment but give me a few days and I'll get you a make (or a roll).

Posted by James40 on 25/03/2011 06:34:51:
BB, which tape did you use? Some of the self amalgamating tapes available only have a 90'C temperature rating!
I'm trying to locate the brand we use at work, we call it greenline tape, it's a self vulcanising tape but with a very high temp rating (used in jet engines) so will be well up for the job.

I'm out of the country at the moment but give me a few days and I'll get you a make (or a roll).

James, after reading the article, I found the Rescue Tape website Here : And using their distributor list found this site Force4 Chandlery. It is rated -54c to +260c (deg). In 3.04m x 2.54mm (10ft x 1") rolls. Price correction £5.95p per/roll.

Any help appreciated

BB

Posted by Basildon Biggles on 25/03/2011 04:50:12:
I found the article on silencing the silencer very interesting. I aquired some 'Rescue Tape' £5.90p per roll, and used it on the 'box' muffler on my Zenoah 23 (Petrol). Fitted as per the instructions. It lasted 4 minutes. The silencer was too hot for it. It split and 'pinged' off like a rubber band. Much to the surprise & amusment of fellow flyers standing nearby.

So, my question is; Where can I get some suitable 'Silastic' silicone compound from ? As I would like to try the other method featured in the article.

Any ideas/help appreciated.

BB

Go here and then go to page 269.

I think this is likely to be a good series, and I think it would be a good idea for RCM&E to get behind this one. Sites are being lost every week (or so it seems) because of noise complaints. If carries on there will be few places to fly, and so few who need to buy RCM&E.

There seem to be a hard core of idiots who think they are entitled to make any amount of noise that suits them. Maybe they are right, but there are others who think they are entitled to NOT have to listen to that noise, and they usually win, and they don't have to do much more than lift the phone and talk to the local council.

Can RCM&E help?

Just had a look online at the Borjet!!

Have you seen the price for just the Airframe!!! Really great idea but massively over expensive!!

Maybe it wont be too long before another company brings out something similar at a more reasonable price!!

That all said!! Its a fantastic design!!

Wonder if Timbo will let me have a play with it!!??

Dave