Maidened my D B Cirrus Moth

Last week 1st March after a long building period (crinkliesbuild slowly), I flew the moth. The conditions were superb as far as the skies went but the cross wind didn't help. It was rather a "non event " it just flew, ok I had to trim it , but it had great presence in the air. The approach was nice and easy and the 4 stroke sounded great.
D B Cirrus Moth 40 with an SC52 four stroke.

Advert

Hi Danny.
I found I needed a lot of rudder in the turns, there is no way you could fly one in the "bank and yank " mode. The SC52 provided more than adequate power and gave that authentic sound and feeling to the flight.
I thought that the landing was going to pose a problem and did what I thought was a very high approach, but the inherant drag of the bipe comfortably lost all of the height . I put it all down to luck and a good pilot sat in the cockpit, after all he does have a white scarf !!

Cheers

Roger

Chris has the Tiger Moth as well and I have flown both, I really do prefer the Cirrus. Lots of rudder to balance the turns, on ocassions opposite aileron lol What size is yours?

It really is a lovely model to fly in lazy circuits, touch and goes are really fun.

Well done

Cheers
Danny

Nice one Roger! I'm a Moth fan as well. You'll soon get used to those "crossed control" turns!

I find it likes the rudder on the way into and out of the turn, but is reasonably happy in the turn itself. Its an adverse yaw problem - common on bipes - and only having one set of ailerons doesn't help aileron authority either! They do tend to benefit from a bit of aileron differential added in.

Anyway - nice model - looks gorgous. Well done, I hope you have many happy flights with her.

BEB

It's the Cirrus Moth 40 at 59" wingspan, I am pleased with the result and it really does fly in a realistic lazy manner.

Initially I was uncertain which to get, either the Tiger or the Cirrus Moth but reading up on their histories I decided on the Cirrus because of the exploits of Amy Johnson. I did try to get a female 1920's style pilot but the only female one I could find was one with rather prominant protuberances at the front.

Not the done thing old boy!! .......... Hence the chap with the scarf.

From what you say over the flying characteristics I made the right decision. I now look forward to some nice spring flying weather to really get to know it.

Cheers

Roger

Roger well done that looks lovely.

I'll second Danny's comments on flying my two moths. The Cirrus moth is easier to fly and the Tiger Moth is more of a challenge.

Cirrus Moth is a typical biplane and certainly needs steering with rudder. The ailerons tend to be kept purely for keeping the wings at the bank angle required for the turn.

The Tiger Moth however almost seems to have a mind of it's own, you really have to stay on top of it and "fly" it all the time.
During an experience flight in a real Tiger Moth, the pilot told me that a moth is easy to fly, but difficult to fly well and keep "in shape".
It's all part of the challenge and it's what keeps us coming back for more. I actually prefer flying the Tiger Moth 'cos it's harder

I have always been a biplane fan and from the interest at the field I think a lot of people are deep down. The Cirrus Moth almost seems to represent an era of model planes. My other bipe is again a DB model "Tinker" that is around 30 years old and still flying,
In answer to the question of diferential aileron it is set mechanically.

Cheers Roger

FB as long as your aileron servos are plugged into two different channels you can do it on the transmitter by adjusting end points.
Set each aielron so it goes up more than it goes down.

There always seems to be two schools of thought on Coupled Aileron / Rudder.
1. Yes its the way to make a model like this easier to fly.
2. "It's cheating" or "you'll never learn to fly one properly if you use C.A.R."

I guess you choose the opinion that suits you, neither is wrong.

I make my C.A.R. switchable as there are some manoeuvres where you do not want rudder interaction - it's my choice then whether I use it or not.

I must say I've made an effort to not use it and my left finger and thumb are definitely getting better! No fears now.....

Pete

Obviously each to their own - and if someone wants to mix rudder that's fine. But for me, like Chris, I like the challenge of doing it myself. And if you stick with it (pun intended!) you will master it and once you do its very satisfying.

A bit of a disadvantage with the mix is that you don't always want a set ratio of rudder and aileron. Sometimes you want to use more rudder, or less. For example if you want to deliberately side slip.

I agree the Tiggie is a challenge to fly well - but like all bipes it just looks so pretty in the air and the challenge is what keeps us on our toes! I have to say I wouldn't class my Tiggie as a "relaxing" flight! But its certainly a rewarding one - when you get it right - which isn't always by any means . And there's the rub. I think what instructors liked about the Tiggie was if you did it right - it was obvious. And conversly, if you did it wrong it was very very obvious! But it was never dangerous.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/03/2011 23:16:03

Hi all

I would also rather not have the rudder electronically coupled to the ailerons, a number of the lads at the club in the past have suggested it to me but I have always shied away. I wish to do my own mixing "handaulically" as it were, that way you can go with or against the ailerons to say lift the tail up in a high angle turn, if required.

I'm still a crap pilot but I then cannot blame the transmitter lol.

I have used a servo for each aileron but have connected via a "Y" so I am stuck with mechanical adjustment of the differential throws. But that is not a problem or at least it hasn't been in the past.

Cheers

Roger

I was going to go the aileron to rudder coupling route when I first flew my SE5a but I decided that I should at least learn & understand what was going on first. As a consequence (and as mentioned by others) I found that the proportion of rudder to aileron input could not be predetermined and indeed often they were opposed, for example left rudder & right aileron.

So the end result has been that I didn't put the mix in and if I fly someone elses bipe with the mix in I automatically overide it anyway.

So I agree with you Roger if can do it "handaulically" then that's the way to go.

I hope you have many, many great flights with that lovely aeroplane Roger.

Ian

Hi all, thanks for the info on ail.diff. As my aileron servos are connected by a Y lead and buried in an already covered wing, I think I will have to co ordinate my turns (if required,) by manual rudder inputs. I have taken on board comments re.CAR, and totally agree with them. Cheers FB3