Ammonia solution

Sorry for the chemistry joke!

I am about to sheet the fus of my vulcan, and have some fairly tight curves. I want to use ammonia solution to make the balsa bendy, but when I looked in the cleaning section of tesco everything was proudly advertised as ammonia free!

So 2 options:

1) Can anyone recommend a widely available (ie in a supermarket) brand of suitable cleaner.

2) Can anyone tell me a suitable ammonia concentration for using to bend balsa, and I will dilute my own down (perk of being a chemistry teacher- all the ammonia you can drink).

Advert

Paul- which brand are you talking about- all the ones I checked were claiming to be ammonia free.

Alan, I can get hold of buckets of the stuff, but need an idea of what concentration to use- I don't want to mix something that seems dilute to me, but then weakens the wood over a longer term.

Cheers

I have found that the old fashioned leaving the sheet in hot water, is enough to allow balsa to be bent. I just hold in place till dry, then trim and glue.

May not be as effective as Ammonia, but less hassle, will not raise the eyebrows of your loved ones, nor stain anything but does the job.

I have made a steam chamber in the past, but water is better I feel, just slower.

I have bent motor tubes from 1/32 ply, using hot water soaking. It beds well.

However the stuff I use for firewalls etc, is not water resistant, You would need better quality ply or perhaps it is better to say water resistant, as the cheaper stuff is fine for formers etc.