Strange response to a Classified.

Peter Miller

I have an O.S. FS 40 Surpass on the Model Flying Classified ads. Priced £125 inc postage.

I have had an email response which just does not feel right to me.

I once had another similar response to an ad on another website which was an attempt at a scam.

Of course this could be completely innocent.

Anyone had a similar response.

Dear seller,
 I hereby wish to inform you that i am interested in the purchase from
you. I saw the advert on the internet today, Kindly give me your best
offer.Will you accept a certified cheque/money order/Bank Draft as
payment?I have interested and colleague of mine who will be ready to
send you payment by post/Ups/FedEx service when we both finally agree
on terms. If its still available for sale, provide the details
below...
YOUR NAME..........
ADDRESS FULL ......
TEL. NUMBER........
LAST PRICE.........
EMAIL..............
ITEM NAME..........
MOT....................
I will be expecting your response.
Regard.

I have removed the identifying items from the email.

My reply was £125 including postage. Payment by PayPal ONLY.

So far no response.

Edited By Peter Miller on 16/03/2011 18:44:47

Advert

Scam Scam Scam!!

Then all they will want is your bank account details and the transaction will be complete!

It's our African friends being busy again. I get these all the time, asking to place money from the Kenyan bank into my account!

Click that address as spam.

Was it this site that your classified was on?

Yes, I was pretty sure it was.

The last one was some years ago and I tipped off the Police. The officer who came round told me that someone from my village got caught for £5000.

The man's supposed name was John Palmer.

The scame then was. I will send you a draft for £3000, give the balance to the parson who comes to collect the model. Of course six months plater the bank finds that it was a forgery. I suspect that this was the same as he wanted to pay by Bank Draft or certified cheque.

Yes, the advert is on this site

Edited By Peter Miller on 16/03/2011 19:31:16

Edited By Peter Miller on 16/03/2011 19:33:08

Edited By Peter Miller on 16/03/2011 19:33:50

It still seems amazing that folks can still even think of replying to such an email. We have had a lot of "kind enquiries" as to the use of our bank account for holding a third parties cash. See all the warnings on the BMFA site about listings - particularly re. "wanted" ads. The scammers are getting cleverer so we all need to be aware. A fantastic deal can seem irresistable and then plain old commonsense goes out of the window! So, never give too many of your details-- unless to a known secure site that you can verify. Watch out too for the good old fashioned liars - " BNIB" engine, that arrives "only run once!" Ask plenty of questions, most people ARE honest, otherwise business would grind to a halt!
Good luck & mind your back !

Never put personal details like this in an unsolicited e mail and beware of people asking you to answer security questions over the phone.
It's also worth putting your e mail address and post code into a google search to find what it brings up. My old e mail address had nineteen hits on it which is why I changed and my address showed a company (now defunct) as its business address.
The scam where you are contacted to help some former government official get five million pounds worth of mining equipment or some such out of a country is called a 419 Scam after section 419 of the Nigerian Penal Code.
Yes, you will be surprised how many people fall for it.

I have had phone calls claiming to come from Microsoft. It was quite funny.

The person claimed that I had a problem on the computer. They then got me to look at some menu and sure enough it showed assorted errors.

They then said that they could cure the problem. all I had to do was hand over control of my computer to them.

Not only am I a nasty, cynical, suspicious old man. I also knew of this one.

So at that point I told them that I knew the scam and that they were a thieving illegitimate person.

For some reason they hung up before I could elaborate on their lack of ancestry.

You didn't go to a web site to see the 'menu' where you saw the errors did you ? That wouldn't have been a good idea. Also, if they sent you to the event viewer, you're always going to find errors in there. I'd not even bother with the event viewer on a personal computer.

• 1 year later...

I recived another strange responce to my classified add.

Halo,
Am J*******n,Do you still have your items for sale on Model flying site?.
I have interest in purchasing .Please kindly get back with your present condition , last price and pics.
Why do you want to sell the Items?
When have you own it?
Type of payment banker's draft/cheque/money order?
E-mail: f***************************.com
Call me on +447023051677
Await your immediate feed back.
Wishes.
F***k.

Is this genuine?

Edited By Phil B on 09/07/2012 12:52:54

Like this ?

Halo,

Am Jackson,Do you still have your items for sale on Model flying site?.

I have interest in purchasing .Please kindly get back with your present condition , last price and pics.

Why do you want to sell the Items?

When have you own it?

Type of payment banker's draft/cheque/money order?

E-mail: [email protected]

Call me on +447023051677

Await your immediate feed back.

Wishes.

Frank.

I am an Albanian virus but because of poor technology in my country unfortunately I am not able to do harm your computer.
Please be so kind to delete your important files yourself and then forward me to other users.

I put this on a Club website under the jokes section, and someone actually did it. Honest I'm not joking.

Andy