Wittman Tailwind build with lots of pics

The hole in the side fr the quick link only needs to be about 1/4" square. You don't even notice it and there is no oil seepage with my oily engines. The end of the strut hides it to a great extent. Trust me, it is far neater than going gthe other way.

I will also say that, like you, I hate spending time putting models together, especially in winter and thsi s the quickest way that I have ever seen. Just remember to put the side of the quick link with the pin aganst the former.

My F-1 was 1/4" ply. When the model thumped down in a field due to a sick engine (Fuel) the undercarriage snapped the nylon saddle.

Yes, I was using big G clamps to hold the fuselage together.

Okay Peter I will have another look at the kwiklink and strut connection and I think I will use it. Must admit its easy connecting on the field so that would be a good advantage.

Think that a 1/4 ply laminate on the lower part of F1 will do the job , I do like the setup of the landing gear and the damagecontrol of the nylon saddle.

Here some more pics.

Ton

Yes I am still into my Tailwind build, am following Peter's plan to the letter, as I don't know any better way !!

Now really struggling with the 12g wire bending, not worked such heavy gauge before and finding it difficult to achieve crisp bends.

Ton, Peter...any advise/ tricks ????

Peter

Of course I mean't 8g not 12 !

I've bashed my way through the support wires in the formers using a vice and hammer as suggested, but it's not as precise s I would like.

I've sent for the K&SMighty Bender which claims to deal with wire up to 1/4 inch, but I'll settle for improving my bends in the 8g, can'y see myself ever using bigger diameters.

Thanks for the reply

Dave

Ton

Sorry missed your post, this is only my second plan built aircraft and is much more of a challenge than the first, the Luton Minor.

Can't do photographs at present, I'll investigate that !!!!

Found a mate with a proper wire bender at the weekend, so now have a first class undercarriage in 8G as per plan.

Nearly finished making all the parts, currently making up a battery box and motor mount basicly using an extension forward of Peter's mounting box. Then covering and assembly !!!

Thanks for the thread

Dave

Dave,

Looks like your going fast Iam getting more curious by the minute.

Have just placed the cowl in 3D cad because I want to modify and make a splitt version and the top as a hatch and not using blocks of balsa.

But first places the fuse aside for building the wing.

Here some pics and much more to follow.

Plastic tape on the plan for holding he trailingedge with some drups
of ca in place while gleud to the ribs.

Ton

David,

Thanks how is your Tailwind comming together.

Peter,

Yes Iam screwing the strut to make sure it stays in place and also to give it more strength.
The wing sits only on 2pcs 2mm pianowire so the strut is really functional.

The other reason is that I want to make every connection durable so I can fly it for a very loooooong time.

Ready for the final sheeting.

Ton

Hi Peter ,

Yes it was a bid of a fiddle but always good to have a little challange.

Always good to know I can bring it in on rudder when the ailerons fail, not that I hope they will fail some day.

With the wing out of the way I started with the next challange , the cowling with a hatch to charge or switch the Lipo batt pack.
Also wanted to work with total sheeting in stead of big blocks of balsa.

But before building that on to the fuse I had to sort out the gear location which will be sort of sandwitched between two ply formers with balsa in between.

Later some pics sorry have to eat first.

Ton